Performing DEAD magic effects...

Nov 27, 2010
Hey guys,

I just wanted to know what are your thoughts on preforming DEAD tricks (effects that were revealed many times to the public by people like criss angel, the masked magician ,and kids on youtube who wanted quick subscribers). For example, the balducci levitation or whatever it is called. To many people this trick is more than powerful ,but thanks to the media many people know how the trick is done already. I really want to preform these tricks ,because they are effective to some people. However, when I do preform these tricks there is always somebody who says, "oh I saw that on criss angel all he did was this....."

What do your thoughts on preforming tricks that were killed by the media. Should I still try preforming them ,or should I just move on.

Other examples of DEAD tricks.....
-salt shaker through table
-sponge ball transfer
-toothpick vanish
-Backpalm
-torn and restored napkin

Jun 6, 2010
Nashville, TN
I actually perform all of those and have never been caught. No tricks are just DEAD, some just aren't performed by some magicians because they think that everyone knows this trick, or its cheesy, or any other excuse to not perform something when they really just don't want to. (Which I have nothing wrong with) Try coming up with a new form of patter to go along with these tricks, or a different way to perform them.

I'm not saying that you definitely need to add these to your arsenal, but just don't be afraid to try to perform these in kind of an off the cuff way, not making a production out of it, but not downplaying it either.

Jul 16, 2011
I think people kinda overlook these effects and dismiss them. People in LIVE performance (generally) dont know salt shaker thru table, or TnR napkin. If you perform it on camera, and put the performance on the internet, you will surely get exposed.

My advice would be yes, you should continue to perform them for a live audience only, not the camera. The vanishing toothpick trick alone, got me noticed locally. My family still asks me to do it every now and then. I performed the salt shaker thru table for a waitress at a resturaunt, and i got a great reaction. I performed the TnR napkin for 10 year old kid, and his reaction resembled someone rethinking their entire life (like, "I dont know how you could possibly...my gosh...HOW??"). I performed a simple card vanish with the backpalm and the spec said it was the coolest thing they've ever seen. So these effects DO work out in the real world. Do not underestimate the power of these effects.

Apr 2, 2011
Chicago, IL
First of all, you have never preformed any of these tricks. You performed them.

Secondly, there aren't any dead tricks. For every person that has seen it, there are 10 or 20 that have not.

Or, if you are feeling really ambitious, dress up the presentation so it doesn't even look like the same trick. If you do that, no one will know it's the same trick.

Nov 27, 2010
I actually perform all of those and have never been caught. No tricks are just DEAD, some just aren't performed by some magicians because they think that everyone knows this trick, or its cheesy, or any other excuse to not perform something when they really just don't want to. (Which I have nothing wrong with) Try coming up with a new form of patter to go along with these tricks, or a different way to perform them.

I'm not saying that you definitely need to add these to your arsenal, but just don't be afraid to try to perform these in kind of an off the cuff way, not making a production out of it, but not downplaying it either.

That is just awesome how you preformed all of the tricks above to only people who have never seen it. I was never that lucky ,because when I was in school I tried to preform some of these I had my routine ready and everything but it seems my friends were big fans of criss angel because they knew exacly how I did some of these tricks. This did not only happen in school it happend in many more places.

Well after hearing Delusional's stories I may try again in my new high school......But I still want to hear more thoughts.....

Sep 1, 2007
Porthcawl, Wales.
No tricks are dead.

They only depend on your audience and your performance. Show a kid, who's never seen a live performance before, salt shaker through table, it'll blow him away and could change his life for ever. Or present salt shaker through table, to someone who knows how it's done, with the right finesse and showmanship, you'll turn that non-believe in to a believer.

Bottom line is, tricks are not dead and neither are good performers.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
As others have said, the presentation will make the difference. If you present it as "look what I can do" they will look to see how you are doing it. If you present it with good patter, they will enjoy watching the magic and not care how it is done.

Also, high school isn't the best place to perform magic because everyone is focused on their status and will take every opportunity to show they are superior to someone else - which includes yelling out how it is done.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
I've said this story before, and it happened again at an event on Tuesday night.
I was at a corporate event, and started off with a 12'' diamond cut silk production and vanish using a TT. I noticed that one gentleman was looking pretty cocky like he knew how I did it. After the vanish I ditched the TT using a version of Greg Wilson's all around vanish idea. They guy started up saying he wanted to see my thumbs because I used a fake one. I showed my hands and he just looked snookered. Then he said "My kid used to do that trick, but he used a plastic thumb".

If you have an out for someone who calls you on it, then you are in best shape. Even with a simple silk vanish, the patter I uses can accommodate people that have seen it. So if someone starts to say "Oh, I know how that works", I can quickly guide them verbally to a place where they hopefully won't shout out "Fake thumb!"

And remarkably, it doesn't really happen very often. the above post is bang on about setting up a challenge of "look what I can do". However we are wired in such a way that people generally try to figure things out, so if you want to do an effect that others may likely know, then try a new method, (ie instead of lapping the salt shaker, do it standing and let it go into your hoodie -as a makeshift topit). And present it as a serious effect. Don't make it seem like a 'throw away' trick. If they catch you, don't get defensive. Worst case tell them good job for thinking outside of the box then something like "That was just a little trick - here's something that is really weird..." and blow them away with something solid.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results