Performing For Kids

Aug 2, 2008
Cincinnati
Hey all,

So I finally got called back from the lady in charge of volunteering at Children's Hospital here in Cincinnati. I am meeting with her in a month or so and am hoping to have some fun there with the kids once a week during the summer and maybe into the fall as well.

I wanted to get your opinions of what to perform to make sure the kids have a good time. And I was also thinking of something small I could teach them, which I think would enhance the performance a bit.

Any tips on children of different ages would be awesome. i.e. What do you perform for children 5-8, 10-12, 15+, etc? Any good books or videos I should look into? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Chris

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
Omg, i was just gonna post the same thing! I'm volunteering at a day care this summer and i was gonna as what tricks worked for kids.

Anyways, what i've worked out so far is that it's all about having fun and being silly. If you can't goof off, you can't perform for kids. You have to talk in a voice like how a parent talks to a baby. Most importantly, you need to make them laugh.

I've already worked out some routines like a miser's dream with gumballs, a skins and sleeves routines, sponge balls routine, and d'lites. I'm planning to get the vanishing bandanna as well.

Also, i have a question for everyone else: I'm also gonna perform at a senior's center. Does anyone know any tricks that works well for seniors?

May 12, 2009
i going to a hospital to do tricks for the kids too! what i have planned is some funny tricks and some gags, like when you hand the kid a wand to help you with a trick and it breaks. the kids love that.
Magicshadow9, for a seniors center i suggest tricks that are big and visual. the appearing cane of 8 foot pole is great. also, unless you are going to go from table to table, stay away from the cards. it is hard for them to see the cards and follow along. sponge balls are great too because is happens in their hands. all i know is the week after i performed for the seniors, the activities director called to see if i could come back. they loved it. the main thing is to have fun when your performing. good luck!

Aug 2, 2008
Cincinnati
Yeah I would agree with that. I like to think that I interact well with kids. As I am a high school teacher, I interact with the older set of kids. But I think I can transition and do well the younger ones as well.

Hey all,

So I finally got called back from the lady in charge of volunteering at Children's Hospital here in Cincinnati. I am meeting with her in a month or so and am hoping to have some fun there with the kids once a week during the summer and maybe into the fall as well.

I wanted to get your opinions of what to perform to make sure the kids have a good time. And I was also thinking of something small I could teach them, which I think would enhance the performance a bit.

Any tips on children of different ages would be awesome. i.e. What do you perform for children 5-8, 10-12, 15+, etc? Any good books or videos I should look into? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Chris

I did the Columbus CH in 99. Avoid fire effects, and don't use a candy lotta bowl fill. Apparently not all patients can have sugar.

Any other visual effect would work.

Oct 1, 2008
earth
Also, i have a question for everyone else: I'm also gonna perform at a senior's center. Does anyone know any tricks that works well for seniors?

I performed at a senors banquet and search and destroy just blew them away entirely. ACR will work well too and basically anything that is straightforward. Nothing that wil confuse them such as this n that or nothing too complex which they have to remember. Also, Joshua Jays big deal worked very nicely for me

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results