Performing Magic for Kids

Nov 12, 2016
Ok I couldn't find anything about this in the forums after a couple searches so either I really suck at searching or nobody has asked haha. So I have been doing a lot of card magic and more advanced gimmicks and stuff but I need to perform some close up magic for kids and a lot of the card stuff goes over their heads. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what to perform for them close up. I know I want to do the magic coloring book and I have a crayon trick and sponges but just wondering if anyone had anything that got good reactions from people sub 13. (And hey if you know of anything that pleases kids and parents alike).
Thanks!

Nov 12, 2016
Sponge balls are absolutely amazing for all ages. You might also want to look into using a chop cup routine, but one built for kids.
I agree I love sponge balls. I was also told to use a thumb tip with like a handkerchief or something but I don't know it seemed a little obvious or stupid, I don't know how to say it.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
I agree I love sponge balls. I was also told to use a thumb tip with like a handkerchief or something but I don't know it seemed a little obvious or stupid, I don't know how to say it.
TTs are great utility tools. You can use them to do whatever. A disappearing handkerchief that reappears is a great trick, especially for kids. I suggest making a funny routine out of it, or perform some color changing silks.

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I've been performing for children for the past 18 years. What I have found is that even the various age ranges can determine which props/effects I take to the gig for my show. If I have a young group between the ages of 5-8 I will take very visual magic. Think: dove pans, appearing/disappearing silks, basic Professor's Nightmare rope routine, Wonder Bubbles, Spongeballs, Change bags, Stratosphere, etc. DO NOT PERFORM CARD tricks for this age group as you have found out...it is above their level of understanding and enjoyment.

The next group (9-13) I will perform effects that they will find exciting. Visual effects but more advanced than what the young kiddos would see. Think: Mismade Bill Routine, Fiber Optics by Richard Sanders, Kostya Kimlat's Warning Effect, Maybe a Triumph Routine or a Torn and Restored Card Effect, Cups and Balls, etc. It is still visual magic; however, it is a step up and involves more patter or a story line. There is more sleight of hand involved as well.

I don't claim to be an expert at all, but this is just what seems to work for me. Reality One can talk for hours on this topic....ha ha. He knows his stuff so listen. I simply don't have time at the moment.

Nov 12, 2016
I've been performing for children for the past 18 years. What I have found is that even the various age ranges can determine which props/effects I take to the gig for my show. If I have a young group between the ages of 5-8 I will take very visual magic. Think: dove pans, appearing/disappearing silks, basic Professor's Nightmare rope routine, Wonder Bubbles, Spongeballs, Change bags, Stratosphere, etc. DO NOT PERFORM CARD tricks for this age group as you have found out...it is above their level of understanding and enjoyment.

The next group (9-13) I will perform effects that they will find exciting. Visual effects but more advanced than what the young kiddos would see. Think: Mismade Bill Routine, Fiber Optics by Richard Sanders, Kostya Kimlat's Warning Effect, Maybe a Triumph Routine or a Torn and Restored Card Effect, Cups and Balls, etc. It is still visual magic; however, it is a step up and involves more patter or a story line. There is more sleight of hand involved as well.

I don't claim to be an expert at all, but this is just what seems to work for me. Reality One can talk for hours on this topic....ha ha. He knows his stuff so listen. I simply don't have time at the moment.
Alright much thanks this is very helpful.

Reactions: RickEverhart

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
Alright much thanks this is very helpful.

As everyone else suggested, sponge-anything is fun for all ages. Spongeballs, multiplying bunnies, etc. From my experience, everyone loves sponge tricks, especially when you use their hands.

As Maaz said, a TT is a super versatile utility and can be used for tons of situations. I'd highly recommend investing the $1 into one lol.

The coloring book is also great for kids and easy to learn.

Levitations seem to be a lot more effective with kids as most adults know that some sort of IT is being used.

I'd argue that you could do card tricks with young kids, just don't use a normal deck. I know @obrienmagic has a routine with pokemon cards. Use something with simple, recognizable pictures or something. Add a story to it that they can follow. This is for kids like 5-8 though. As others have said, 9 and up should have few issues following a normal card trick.

Idk that's just my input.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Drags out soapbox and gets on it....

So there are two ways you can do this. You can follow the traditional wisdom or you can innovate. The traditional wisdom, in my opinion, leads to being a cliche children's magician. I'd include the silk vanish and the coloring book as effects that fall within that category. That traditional wisdom was popularized very much by David Kaye (aka Silly Billy) in his book Seriously Silly which is based on a lot of old British ideas of how to entertain (think Punch and Judy and see the book Open Sesame). The character of a traditional magician is a clown or a buffoon with elements of a trickster (and not the good elements). There is a significant reliance on "look don't see" gags, "magician in trouble" plots and sucker tricks. Watch performance videos of Silly Billy and David Ginn to get a sense of this. Here is the thing... that is one character that works, not the only character that works. Innovate.

To be innovative you must be go beyond the traditional character. I once did a show as a Hogwarts graduate (finished at the top of my class if you count backwards) that was stuck doing kids magic shows (Mom always said I should study) despite being Professor McGonagal's favorite student (I spent more Saturdays with her in detention than any other student). Think of the fun you can have -- I made a potion using essence of nothing (pour in only a little because too much of nothing is never a good thing) and boarhound saliva (best reaction was when I tasted it and said, "mmmm, its fresh"). My current character for children's shows is a curator of imagination and storyteller. Imagine if a real magician appeared at your doorstep and he could take you on adventures in your imagination without ever leaving your house?

The key to children's magic is to keep their attention and to entertain them with magic. This requires strong presentation and strong magic. I tend to avoid any magic that looks like you could have gotten it at a magic shop. This includes the coloring books, hippy hoppity rabbits, run rabbit run and stratosphere (OK, I'll admit to having used a change bag that looks like it came from a magic shop). You can entertain with them, but I think there are better options. My preference is to use strong magic that would entertain adults but that can be understood by children.

Steps down, puts soapbox aside...

So I have been doing a lot of card magic and more advanced gimmicks and stuff but I need to perform some close up magic for kids and a lot of the card stuff goes over their heads.

I agree not to do card magic, but instead do magic with cards. I've done the Jumbo Invisible Deck, Mark Wilson's Bigger Card, Jumbo McCombical Deck and a card to nest of boxes trick with kids.

I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what to perform for them close up.

You say close up, but it sounds like you mean parlor (kids sitting in a living room or in a couple of rows of chairs).

I know I want to do the magic coloring book and I have a crayon trick and sponges but just wondering if anyone had anything that got good reactions from people sub 13.

See above rant.

And hey if you know of anything that pleases kids and parents alike.

See part of above rant about strong magic.

What I have found is that even the various age ranges can determine which props/effects I take to the gig for my show.

Exactly. I break the groups down to the 6 and under; 6 to 9, 10 to 13 and 13 to 16. I don't do shows for 6 and under and would never do card tricks. For anything older than that, you can do tricks with cards (not card tricks).

I'll post some ideas for effects tomorrow.

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
Drags out soapbox and gets on it....

So there are two ways you can do this. You can follow the traditional wisdom or you can innovate. The traditional wisdom, in my opinion, leads to being a cliche children's magician. I'd include the silk vanish and the coloring book as effects that fall within that category. That traditional wisdom was popularized very much by David Kaye (aka Silly Billy) in his book Seriously Silly which is based on a lot of old British ideas of how to entertain (think Punch and Judy and see the book Open Sesame). The character of a traditional magician is a clown or a buffoon with elements of a trickster (and not the good elements). There is a significant reliance on "look don't see" gags, "magician in trouble" plots and sucker tricks. Watch performance videos of Silly Billy and David Ginn to get a sense of this. Here is the thing... that is one character that works, not the only character that works. Innovate.

To be innovative you must be go beyond the traditional character. I once did a show as a Hogwarts graduate (finished at the top of my class if you count backwards) that was stuck doing kids magic shows (Mom always said I should study) despite being Professor McGonagal's favorite student (I spent more Saturdays with her in detention than any other student). Think of the fun you can have -- I made a potion using essence of nothing (pour in only a little because too much of nothing is never a good thing) and boarhound saliva (best reaction was when I tasted it and said, "mmmm, its fresh"). My current character for children's shows is a curator of imagination and storyteller. Imagine if a real magician appeared at your doorstep and he could take you on adventures in your imagination without ever leaving your house?

The key to children's magic is to keep their attention and to entertain them with magic. This requires strong presentation and strong magic. I tend to avoid any magic that looks like you could have gotten it at a magic shop. This includes the coloring books, hippy hoppity rabbits, run rabbit run and stratosphere (OK, I'll admit to having used a change bag that looks like it came from a magic shop). You can entertain with them, but I think there are better options. My preference is to use strong magic that would entertain adults but that can be understood by children.

Steps down, puts soapbox aside...

I agree not to do card magic, but instead do magic with cards. I've done the Jumbo Invisible Deck, Mark Wilson's Bigger Card, Jumbo McCombical Deck and a card to nest of boxes trick with kids.

You say close up, but it sounds like you mean parlor (kids sitting in a living room or in a couple of rows of chairs).

See above rant.

See part of above rant about strong magic.

Exactly. I break the groups down to the 6 and under; 6 to 9, 10 to 13 and 13 to 16. I don't do shows for 6 and under and would never do card tricks. For anything older than that, you can do tricks with cards (not card tricks).

I'll post some ideas for effects tomorrow.
I personally like the coloring book lol

Reactions: Jedimasterjt

trapeze

Elite Member
Jul 28, 2016
USA
Colorful and simple has always worked for me. If I am going to do something for a very small group in a closeup situation the effect that I like the most is the hotrod or, better yet, color changing pocket knives. The Mogar knives have a huge variety of colors and patterns and you can do a routine that can last several minutes. Coins also work well in a closeup situation with children.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I personally like the coloring book lol

Overdone. Same presentation. Say, do, see. Looks like it was printed in color rather than actually colored in.

Innovate.

Take the concept and apply it differently. Take a regular coloring book and make your own - rather than the one that looks like it came from a magic shop. How about starting with the book with just the drawings (like you would buy it). Then show how you color - all over the place. Then show how your sister colors - exactly within the lines. Then show what you did to your sister's coloring - scribbled all over it. Then tell how she told your parents what you did and how you explained that she was lying, because the book had never been colored in. Jim Steinmeyer has a great routine about turning back time using a journal-like book that he wrote magic spells. At the end of the routine, the writing vanishes from the book as the spectator turns back time. How about making it about having your homework magically done? Or to turn a boring book that you read into an illustrated children's book. How about using the concept to make a flip book movie appear and then to change the ending?

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
Overdone. Same presentation. Say, do, see. Looks like it was printed in color rather than actually colored in.

Innovate.

Take the concept and apply it differently. Take a regular coloring book and make your own - rather than the one that looks like it came from a magic shop. How about starting with the book with just the drawings (like you would buy it). Then show how you color - all over the place. Then show how your sister colors - exactly within the lines. Then show what you did to your sister's coloring - scribbled all over it. Then tell how she told your parents what you did and how you explained that she was lying, because the book had never been colored in. Jim Steinmeyer has a great routine about turning back time using a journal-like book that he wrote magic spells. At the end of the routine, the writing vanishes from the book as the spectator turns back time. How about making it about having your homework magically done? Or to turn a boring book that you read into an illustrated children's book. How about using the concept to make a flip book movie appear and then to change the ending?
I like it.

Reactions: Jedimasterjt
Nov 12, 2016

Innovate.

Oh I like this

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
So let me begin with a caveat to my earlier post. The props that look like they came from a magic shop with the Silly Billy type presentation may work for the under 6 crowd. I don't perform for that age group, so I can't comment.

For children's magic, I like classic effects: Linking Rings, Billiard Balls, Cups & Balls, Egg Bag, Miser's Dream, Professor's Nightmare, 20th Century Silks and Zombie Ball. Come up with a presentation that makes it interesting. Remember, children like stories.

There are a lot of effects that you can perform in Mark Wilson's Complete Course - I like Bigger Card, Tic Tac Toe, Chapstick Caper, Bill in Lemon, Card to Wallet and lots more.

I'd be glad to brainstorm on specific effects and presentations for your show.

Jul 26, 2016
Color changes go over v nicely for little kids, especially between the ages of 4 and 8. Pretty much any kid can identify red and black and understand when one changes to the other. It's quick, visual, easy to comprehend and strong. Just be sure they clearly see what color card is there before the change. I like to involve them by asking what color the card is. When they say, for example, "red," then you can say, "Very good, but if we use magic, it will change to ______," (and let them say it.) Another thing you can do after the change is a top change and have them blow on it or wave their hand, then show they have done the magic this time by changing it back and watch their little faces light up.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results