Performing Smoothly.

Mar 28, 2010
Maryland
Hello everyone, I have been in card magic for about two years, yet when I perform I feel like its really sloppy. I practice close to 2-3 hrs a day (probably more). Any tips on how I can improve?

Jun 1, 2009
Don't practice sloppy. It doesn't matter how much you practice if you do it the wrong way.
Break effects down, go step by step and work on getting each part to the level of "smooth" you want it.

It could also be nerves when you perform. If you shake while performing that doesn't lead to a smooth peformance.

To sum up, practice well and plenty of confidence.

Jacob

Apr 1, 2009
California
Take it slowly. go detail by detail in your practice of the effect. 2-3 hours not working? go 4-6. I've also found that cardistry has helped tremendously with the smoothness of my card work. That doesn't mean I'm flourishing every second... I hardly flourish at all and when I do it's nothing big. But I do practice flourishing. It makes my handling of cards much more natural. Just a thought. But I'm no pro.

DanielH

Elite Member
Apr 21, 2010
Take it slowly. go detail by detail in your practice of the effect. 2-3 hours not working? go 4-6. I've also found that cardistry has helped tremendously with the smoothness of my card work. That doesn't mean I'm flourishing every second... I hardly flourish at all and when I do it's nothing big. But I do practice flourishing. It makes my handling of cards much more natural. Just a thought. But I'm no pro.

i agree i only know a few of the basic card flourishes from Dan and Daves stuff but it has helped alot

"Practice doesn't make perfect, Perfect Practice Makes Perfect."

Don't judge yourself on how many hours you practice. I honestly don't keep track and I don't really care how many hours I practice. Practice until you can do it flawlessly. If you are practicing in front of a mirror, practice off of once you get the moves down. I find if you continue practicing in front of a mirror you become dependant on looking at your reflection.

Feelling sloppy during a performance may, as said, be because of nerves. This is something you will overcome will time and through trial and error. Practice on family members and trusted friends to see what reaction the effect accomplishes. When you are working on the patter of the effect (if the effect requires one) think of anything and everything that the spectators may do or say and find ways to work through them. This will give you the confidence in knowing that you can work through any situation presented.

Hope this was some help. Good luck.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
A few things jumped out at me that could potentially be wrong, two of which have been mentioned above.

1. You're not practicing right - maybe the moves are not being performed correctly. Is it sloppy in practice as well, or just in performance? Perhaps you should think about the way you practice, as well.

2. Slow down - self-explanatory.

3. Practice by performing - it could be that you're just sloppy because you're nervous in performance. In which case the only solution is just to perform more, You'll get it eventually :)

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
All good advice so far.

Another thing I'd recommend is to record yourself performing. You may actually be working much smoother than you think. I've definitely had moves that I thought I was doing horribly, which, when recorded and played back, I've realized I was doing rather well in fact.

Dec 3, 2009
In my own world
What helped me was performing in front of a wall. That way you don't have a reflection or air in front of you. Recording helps also. And if you shake when you perform, take a deap breath and think about what your going to do next. It'll be okay.

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
analyze every single aspect of each move first make sure that each move is executed properly and effeiciently

then go into a combination of moves.. EX: marlo tilt followed by a double lift. when i first learned the marlo tilt i practiced that combination to the point that when i'm just fiddling with some cards i do it almost as much as i dribble.

have fun. seriously. you enjoy magic right? so take a step back and try to enjoy the performance too.

hope something in there helps
Web

Apr 26, 2010
...yup, recording your performance can help you a lot,and it could help a lot if you record your performances to an actual crowd,and if you could not still perform smoothly on a trick,do another trick until you find a magic trick that will best suite your style,cheers!!!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results