Physical issues and the metamorphosis illusion.

Nov 25, 2007
This post has been edited, thanks to all of the awesome and uber cool magic kiddos here at Theory11. Your advice and professionalism regarding my many postings here on this site has been invaluable....

Last edited by a moderator:

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Here is another yet magical question for all of you . How physically demanding is the metamorphosis illusion. Since I do, and will have some issues to be overcome with some or maybe most aspects of my show, yes illusions play an intrical part in my little tale. Because of my "issues" or whatnot, I have a not so easy time getting up from a kneeling position, almost like my legs don't work as they should.* imagine arthritis in your legs* cause thats what it feels like... muscle weakness in your legs is a real pain, both ways.

Is there a less taxing physical way to perform this illusion? I don't wanto scrap this piece from up comming show plans, , just because of my "pain in the legs"

along with many of my "pieces yet to be" it's hopefully going to be a life changing experiennce for the many who witness these pieces that my company will produce... Advice is much appriciated. :)

I think it will be better if you could go to the gym and gain strength in your legs, my father had the same problem and slowly in the gym he got a lot better...aside from an ilusion, you never know when you are going to need your legs...

Jul 13, 2009
Hmm, well the nature of the beast you are going to have to kneel and stand back up. One way that you could combat this problem is make the box a little taller so that you don't have to kneel as far down.

If remaking the thing isn't feasible, how about doing the reveal with you sitting, posing, etc, on top of the box instead of standing? If you are found laying over top of the box, it could add to help cover your partner cleaning up dirty work, ie Getting into the box, which in my opinion would look better then the standard lift, change, wait a beat while someone is cleaning up, okay now I can drop the curtain.

Also it could lengthen the time of suspense while the cloth is dropping since it has to drop further down to reveal you instead of you standing up.

If those suggestions don't work for you, the partner can cover the dirty work a little longer with the curtain until you are ready.

Tell me if you need any clarification.

Silver

Nov 23, 2007
NC
Ashley,
I realize your physical issue but your starting on top of the trunk unless I'm mistaken. So your moving downward not up rapidly. The only time your getting up is when the truck is opened and your in the bag. Which would be no problem for the assistant to assist you up and untie the top. Still if there are issues better to go with something else that fits your style and needs than try to force something that shouldnt be.

Jul 13, 2009
Ashley,
I realize your physical issue but your starting on top of the trunk unless I'm mistaken. So your moving downward not up rapidly. The only time your getting up is when the truck is opened and your in the bag. Which would be no problem for the assistant to assist you up and untie the top. Still if there are issues better to go with something else that fits your style and needs than try to force something that shouldnt be.

Nah I do believe she is the magician and is put in the box originally. She wants to know how to speed up the process of the switch. But then again that is just what I got out of her original post, don't know whether that is true or not.

Nov 23, 2007
NC
Traditionally the magician does start on the box which would be the optimum situation for her anyway. There are versions where the roles are reversed and the magician starts in the trunk but I feel that this is a mistake in the performance as the attention in the beginning would be on the assistant initiating the magic (which is incorrect) and in the end is focused on the assistant getting out of the trunk (which is also flawed) and not the magician who performed the miracle.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results