Plagiarising Wayne Houchin

Apr 17, 2013
I honestly think that we could eliminate exposure pretty easily if the majority of magicians would stop performing the same material.

THIS So much this. There is a reason why I stay away from new stuff. This is why I have a huge collection of magazines and books printed before 1960. This is why I create my own effects and I have a few different ways of doing some effects. I can ditch my s***l half way into my coins across and be just fine. Kinda hard to tell everyone how I'm doing it when I can freely hand out all four coins.

Apr 17, 2013
One last thing. Those who just learn from youtube or from the wire and not doing the legwork end up spending more money than they should on magic. I have see things on the wire in the last year that were from the boy scout's hand book or from a puzzle book. Rick Lax put out an effect for $10 that's taught on the cover of a $7 book. There was a card effect sold for $20 as a single trick DVD that is from a book that you can still get for $12 and it has a bunch of other effects in the book. The effect where you make paper butterflies that come to life fly away from you is being sold for $50 but from a book that was first published in 1886 that you can still buy and get for less than $15. So you can learn from youtube the wire and single effect DVDs or you could go to the library and talk to other magicians and do the leg work.

Last edited by a moderator:

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
THIS So much this. There is a reason why I stay away from new stuff. This is why I have a huge collection of magazines and books printed before 1960. This is why I create my own effects and I have a few different ways of doing some effects. I can ditch my s***l half way into my coins across and be just fine. Kinda hard to tell everyone how I'm doing it when I can freely hand out all four coins.

I will admit that my path in magic is somewhat extreme and not for everyone. I have developed an almost primitive style of magic which really suits me. I purposely avoid anything that strikes me as a 'normal' magic show trick or prop. There are no playing cards, coins, ropes, etc. in my parlor show.

I don't think I'm super creative or anything. I just avoid the stuff that everyone else is doing. I mean, there's nothing wrong with some cross over - but I think if more people just put the effort into creating unique presentations the world of "exposure" would be severely diminished.

Apr 17, 2013
I will admit that my path in magic is somewhat extreme and not for everyone. I have developed an almost primitive style of magic which really suits me. I purposely avoid anything that strikes me as a 'normal' magic show trick or prop. There are no playing cards, coins, ropes, etc. in my parlor show.

I don't think I'm super creative or anything. I just avoid the stuff that everyone else is doing. I mean, there's nothing wrong with some cross over - but I think if more people just put the effort into creating unique presentations the world of "exposure" would be severely diminished.

That is why I do really old stuff and or own. Can't expose what is not out there or easy to find. I'm part of Craig's group on facebook. I think you are as well, and I plan on going with more out there stuff for my busking act.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
That is why I do really old stuff and or own. Can't expose what is not out there or easy to find. I'm part of Craig's group on facebook. I think you are as well, and I plan on going with more out there stuff for my busking act.

Yes I am. I've also submitted several things to the book.

I'm still trying to find a way to make my stuff into a busking act. I'm not naturally suited to busking so it's a challenge for me.

May 21, 2014
Staunton, VA
Ok, so in order to learn magic from a library, you have to go to a library, go to the right section, sort through the books in that section, and then learn and practice what you find.

In order to learn magic on youtube, you have to go to a computer, use Youtube's search engine, wade through the veritable MOUNTAIN of absolute crap that's out there, and then learn and practice the things you find that are NOT terrible (if you look hard enough, it's out there). There is still deliberate action on the part of the learner to obtain the information. If the learner bought the computer that accesses youtube, then he had to do whatever work it took to get the money for the computer. If he didn't buy the computer, then he had to get someone's permission to use it and/or physically go to the computer's location. If he didn't buy the computer and doesn't have to get permission or go very far, that's effectively the same thing as living next door to or in the same building with a library. To me, there is no ethical distinction between having to go find something in a building and having to go find something in a computer. How far does one have to travel before it's considered "legwork?" Is that in the IBM's code somewhere?

I don't think IBM members teach all their tricks at those meetings. I didn't even teach all the ones I performed, and some people didn't teach (or even perform) anything. Now that I think of it, the guy who taught more than anyone was the president of the ring, and I don't think he created a single trick that he taught; he simply gave credit for where he learned them and who created them. Anyway, none of that changes my point about laymen being able to easily get into a few IBM meetings for free. Furthermore, magicians aren't teaching every effect they know on Youtube, either. I suspect some of them are, but pros like Rich Ferguson, Daniel Garcia, and Michael Ammar among others teach a few things online, reserve some things for the paying market, and reserve some other things for themselves. I imagine at least a few magicians are following this model.

I'm not saying I don't care because it hasn't affected me; I'm saying that because it hasn't affected me or anyone I know of, I find it difficult to believe that it affects anyone (I'm talking specifically about the teaching of NON-COMMERCIAL effects here; stealing a commercial effect by learning, teaching, and/or performing it without paying or obtaining permission obviously affects the victim of the theft). I'm speaking from my own experience and perspective, so if someone on here has actually had a trick ruined in the middle of a performance by someone who saw it on Youtube, please speak up. I never have. When I was really young I did have some tricks ruined by people who saw the masked magician or Disney's magic shop guy on TV (speaking of Disney and magic exposure), but that's TV, not Youtube, and it was years ago. The only times I've been heckled during a trick as an adult, it was because someone figured it out on the spot or saw me make a mistake, and about 99% of that happened when I was under 20. Since I got back into magic this last time around and started performing as my current character, I've had a grand total of one heckler, and it was a little kid who was at a bad angle during a double lift who quieted down once I kept moving with the routine. Oh well. Life goes on. It would have gone on even if that kid had seen all my tricks on youtube (which he couldn't, since most of them aren't there). It didn't stop me from having a fun and profitable show, and it didn't stop me from getting booked to perform at the same venue again this September.

Honestly, almost none of my working routines were learned on Youtube. I learned them from books, DVDs, and other magicians over the course of about 20 years in the craft or created them myself from the aforementioned material. As a teenager I was kind of obsessed with all the fancy new stuff coming out on E and Theory 11 (though I couldn't afford most of it), but these days most of my stuff is sponges, cups, just a little mind-reading, and old card and coin stuff from my books. Some of the routines from my books and DVDs are doubtless taught somewhere on Youtube, and that fact hasn't stopped me from being able to use them to the enjoyment of myself and my audiences. I just don't think it's useful to discourage beginners from finding things to learn on youtube or other free sources because in my mind it occupies the same place as children's magic books in libraries. Most of what's on there is not professional caliber magic, but if it snatches someone's interest and gets them doing the actual "legwork" later on the way those books did for me then I'm glad it's there for them. For people who really want to become prolific magicians, Youtube will never be enough because there's not enough quality teaching on there to make a true magician. At best it's a starting point and/or an idea kit for creating, provided the material is taught and learned in an ethical way.

May 21, 2014
Staunton, VA
Yes I am. I've also submitted several things to the book.

I'm still trying to find a way to make my stuff into a busking act. I'm not naturally suited to busking so it's a challenge for me.

Busking can be tricky, but once you get down to it it's a lot like roaming performance; Busking is the core of what I do and tends to influence most of my other performing. Pretty much all of my scheduled shows have come out of busking and/or just walking around town in character (pink wizards tend to draw a lot of attention for some reason). I don't live in a town where street performers stand to make any money at all really, but it is great for networking, and I do have the occasional lucky day.

If you're talking about stand-still busking as opposed to roaming, you're going to want to find a way to make yourself conspicuous so as to draw people in. Personally I use poi and staff dancing; I pick a spot somewhere, start up my speaker, and just start to spin things with my hat out nearby. If somebody stops and talks to me I show them some magic and hand out a card, and otherwise I just stand/dance around and spin. Juggling would probably work as well, but I'm not much of a juggler. A lot of mimes like to just hold still until someone drops something in the hat. Finding your attention-grabber is probably the hardest part, honestly, but once you have it the rest is pretty normal stuff; routining, crowd management, etc. are pretty similar to any other close-up performance situation you might find yourself in.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I don't know if walking around doing magic at strangers counts as busking, but that's more of a semantics discussion than I am willing to engage in before coffee.

I meant standing at pitch, doing your show, and asking for tips. Busking. My personality isn't loud or boisterous and my performance style isn't either. Further, my material requires a certain degree of control of the environment which is easily disrupted by the best busking places. It's just not for me. I can do it, and have done it, but I prefer "real" shows more.

Sep 1, 2013
South Africa
The thing is YouTube is what got me started in magic as in some countries and I speak for those who are not so large in the magic industry, there are no magic books in libraries, if any, it's scarce whereas I can learn the double lift in a book, or a visual, better and updated one on YouTube and I speak on behalf of beginners magic and self working effects and you will find, as aforementioned, some of the biggest names in magic are doing free tutorials on YouTube and you might confuse this issue with some random 12 year old uploading the instant download from penguin magic but you will be surprised at the legitimacy of these accounts. With regards to the famous channels on YouTube whom I will not mention, these channels teach fantastic sleights, you hear that? sleights which in opinion should not pose a threat to us. It is the pompous little incompetence on YouTube who gain their self proclaimed "fame" from exposing relatively fantastic gimmicks which is now being turned into crappy homemade versions because they're too lazy to buy the real thing.

May 21, 2014
Staunton, VA
I don't generally count roaming performance as busking either. I tend to define busking as standing at a static location and performing with a hat or bucket out. In my area, street performers are expressly asked not to pander for tips, so I generally have to work around that.

Apr 17, 2013
The thing is YouTube is what got me started in magic as in some countries and I speak for those who are not so large in the magic industry, there are no magic books in libraries, if any, it's scarce whereas I can learn the double lift in a book, or a visual, better and updated one on YouTube and I speak on behalf of beginners magic .

Really all beginner's Even the ones who do not use youtube?

you will find, as aforementioned, some of the biggest names in magic are doing free tutorials on YouTube and you might confuse this issue with some random 12 year old uploading the instant download from penguin magic but you will be surprised at the legitimacy of these accounts.

As has been said before I collect old books and magazines and I do read them. Here is something from Mahatma May 1898, yes really 1898...

"DON'T GIVE IT AWAY."?By SARGENT, THE MERRY WIZARD.
"Omne ignotum pro magnifico"

I notice with regret a tendency among
magicians of a certain class, to select some
trick of minor importance and to expose the
secret to their audience. Now this is not
only extremely bad art, but in many ways
it militates directly against the performer
who indulges in such questionable methods.
In the first place, when the audience find
how easily they have been deceived, they
imagine that all tricks are of the same nature
and give the performer no credit for being
skillful.

Every magician should play his character
through to the end consistently. Now it is
just as inconsistent for the magician to expose
a trick that he has' carried through
successfully, as it would be for an actor at
the end of a realistic stage representation
of a storm, to step forward and throwing
aside the character he was playing, explain to the audience that the
sound of rain was produced by a handful of dried peas and a series
of wooden pegs; that the sound of wind was made by a piece of silk
and a revolving cylinder, the thunder by shaking a sheet of iron, etc.

This may all be useful information and strictly true, but the audience
this case, as in the case of the magician, have paid their good
money to be amused and having enjoyed the illusion, they prefer to
let it rest there, assuming, as they have a right to do, that this is
neither time or place for a discussion of ways and means.

My pupils often say to me that they have seen magicians win a
laugh or applause by this kind of work, but the man who has to resort
to that method to gain applause is in the wrong business.
Many excuses are offered by these men, the favorite one being
that others do the same thing. Granted, but are they the highest
type of magicians? Are they the successful ones, and if so, have
they succeeded on account of this kind of work, or in spite of it?
That is, have they so many good points that this weakness is forgivable
in them ? If such is the ease it seems to me that it were far
better to imitate what is best in their work, rather than to perpetuate
their weaknesses, if, indeed, it is necessary to imitate at all, which I
am by no means willing to allow.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results