Poolside Close-Up Magic Competition!

Thank you! And no, the gaffs at the end were made by Dominique Duvivier, and the routine is called Printing. The green card just happened to fit in with the performance environment :).

What did you win? There was a big talent show over here recently and I think top prize was either $1000NZD or $500NZD. I was going to enter it, but I dont have a stage act (but thats going to chance very shortly)

Cheers, Tom

Michael had a very good act. A little different and I didn't totally like the photography concept but it was cool. Also having 4 decks set up was kind of weird. The ring it was at is very biased because the person who won is not that good. The best there got nothing. And some other guy flashed a thumb tip... he SUCKED. Anyway, it was fun.

Michael Kras

{dg} poet laureate / theory11
Sep 12, 2007
Canada
www.magicanada.myfastforum.org
Oh, you were there? Very cool! Did we at all meet?

Who did you think deserved first place? I personally think it should have been Al Grose... it's funny to hear all of this because just hearing the descriptions, I know exactly who you are talking about :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Venezuela
michael sorry but I didnt ike it, too many decks, I think that you should have given more power to the first effect, you just did it as an opener and didnt presented it in a way to hit hard.. I get a little bored, maybe cuz I wasnt there, and couldnt here too clear..

the simpler the better :)

simple is good, but not better. not always. complex effects are really good because the audience has to pay closer attention to follow and therefore they are more involved. also, it will be more memorable. michael, we met. i talked to you for a bit at the start and yes, Al should have won. The guy that came in third wasn't bad either.

Michael Kras

{dg} poet laureate / theory11
Sep 12, 2007
Canada
www.magicanada.myfastforum.org
No problem Aris, I didn't really construct this routine for magicians.... it's totally a layperson routine because that is who I performed for at the competition. I wasn't looking to exhibit my sleight of hand skills, only to entertain with a visually appealing and fun routine. I used more behind-the-scenes sleights like a DL, Gravity Half Pass, Classic Pass, Hindu Force, etc etc. So what if I used some gaffs? I was able to fuse them all together into a flowing routine.

And Btalyor, were you the younger guy with his girlfriend?

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
Good stuff there Michael, you've clearly put some practice into your effects and know exactly what you're doing and when you need to do it. :) Everything flowed and your performance was good. Nice job.

I do have to ask whether you were on a time limit though, you seemed to be going quite fast through your material. You did about 4/5 tricks in the space of 5 minutes, that's roughly a trick a minute. If I were to say one thing (and this is in no way a response to your performance as I do not know the time constraints you were under) it's that we all need to let the spectator absorb what just happened, otherwise it just becomes a blur and what you just did isn't magic all of a sudden, it's just something you did with cards 'or something'.

For example, in your 2nd effect (Fadeout I think you said it was), and I only watched the video once because I wouldn't get a chance to rewind in real life ;), you went through it so quick that it was really hard for me to take in what was going on and why it was happening. This is exactly what I remember:

1) Someone saw a card
2) Deck went blank
3) Card(?) went blank -- I put a question mark here because I don't remember you actually placing it off to the side, all I remember is that a card was put face down away from the rest.

That is it and when I think of it, I can't really make a decent memory of it. Don't get me wrong, your patter was cool because it followed on from the previous effect of you printing the cards and this was the reverse.

But do you see what I mean? If this had been spent a little more time on and you'd gone slower, I would've been able to remember that there were a number of cards with faces, then the deck started to go blank, in fact every card went blank except for the one the person named. Then I would remember that their card was placed off to the side whilst you showed the rest of the deck, then that card went blank too; incredible!

That's just my thoughts on it. :) It was really nice watching something like this though so thanks for putting it up for us to watch!

- Sean

Aug 31, 2007
California
Michael,

What was the point of printing a whole deck, only to switch the deck for another full deck. It makes no sense to magically print a full deck and not use it, only to use another deck, than make that go blank.

Also, slow down a bit man. You did not allow anytime for any suspense and such. It seemed very very rushed, not allowing me to enjoy the performance. Don't get me wrong, I loved the end effect, but you rushed through the whole performance.

Keenan

Mar 26, 2008
Around
shoot man you throw a couple of coin tricks in that thing giving you time and opportunity to do some deck switching and you will have your self a great routine.

I thought it was great anyway. The patter was fast but it seem to fit, and the slights where good.

It was so nice to see a real show for a change.

good job
Joe

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results