Practical advice on job hunting

Nov 27, 2009
I'm currently trying to get a job, any job that has a regular pay check. I am also currently taking a semester off of school to try and earn some more money to pay for my education. I have experienced working as a magician at a theme park for a year and a half. The year was just performing, with some marketing of magic related items. The half year was demonstrating and trying to sell magic products. My question is this, do you guys have any practical advice for how to relate my experience to someone in a normal job market?

I don't need any advice on applying to every business in sight or anything like that. I already know that I'm gonna have to do something along those lines.

p.s, I live about half an hour north of Cincinnati, if anyone has any leads for places that might be hiring.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Performing gives you experience dealing with all walks of life and how to think on your feet in order to keep your audience happy. Retail work gives you experience handling cash (if you sold things) and talking to people and selling. Magic also means you can commit to something and get it perfect before using it in front of an audience. You have to work independently to be the best so that you can get gigs. Stuff like that. Think about everything you had to do to get to where you are, then think of how those skills might make an employer happy.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
It may depend on what type of job you are trying to get. But I would say mostly focus on your people skills. If sales, then you focus on your marketing experience and demonstrating of the products, and the necessary people skills. If service industry (retail), then you focus on the public relations aspects, people skills, communication, initiative to sell, etc.

The ability to approach people and sell is a great skill and a lure for the retail industry. Telling the company that you are okay with upselling and confident enough to be successful because of the people skills, is important. Money is their bottom line and your resume needs to communicate how your skills will help them make money.

As well a side note, your resume is a very important part of getting a job. Stay away from typical templates and do some simple searching and reading on what makes resume’s good. Also be bold when dropping them off. Do whatever you can to talk to the manager to deliver your resume if possible Keep in mind in retail I trained my staff to intercept resumes, so when someone took the initiative to talk to me directly it was impressive and showed they wanted the job. Then follow up in person 1-2 times within a reasonable timeframe.

Good luck!

Stu-pendous

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2010
Perth, Australia
www.facebook.com
I would also say a strong resume and personal impression is key... i came from having a 5 page resume thinking they needed to know everything i could do/have done.. that's really not the case.

Focus the resume to the job you're applying for keep it simple, (i got mine from 5 pages down to one) mine also had some design input to ma.ke it stand out amongst other plain text resumes.

Also i always asked to see the manager to hand it to them directly... if they weren't in I'd leave and try again another time when they would be there.

Hope that helps

Aug 17, 2010
By all means, have it proof read carefully; it's hard to see the forest for the trees after a while, and a fresh pair of eyes may catch something you've missed. Spelling, grammar and punctuation count, so pay close attention to those.

Also, consider a cover letter and tailor it to each job you apply for.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
I'm quite familiar with where you're located (I grew up in Springfield and my step-son lives in your area presently with his family). It's a tough nut to crack and our current economy isn't helping. Quite frankly I think you'd do better working a few restaurants at night for tips but start with the Spaghetti Warehouse and Olive Gardens . . . both have a long history in using close-up guys. If they're in the area there is another company I've worked for called The Melting Pot -- a Fondu themed facility that can be quite fun to work as well.

No, these places won't make you big bucks (about $60.00 -- $100.00 a night) but they accomplish three things for you;

* Networking -- the opportunity to actually meet "the right people" tied to companies that may be hiring.
* Income -- while nominal, you'll at least have something coming in to tie you over until other things open up [NOTE: Don't expect to see much in way of "normal" work until after the election]
* Resume/Experience Building -- literally, you are doing something constructive when it comes to building on your resume as a performer and public communicator.

We do have the Holiday Shopping Season already popping up, so look into working the Obalisqu at the malls pitching & demonstrating merchandise. Check with talent agencies in Cinci, Dayton & Columbus in that they'll be looking for people to fill this kind of niche right now. They will be looking for people that look good, have a strong sense of confidence (presence) and strong speaking skills . . . which will include the ability to "dazzle them with B.S." when you don't have a solid answer for someone in the spur of the moment. Speaking with them and corresponding via Mail, eMail, SKYPE, etc. must come off very professional. . . this can include a simple on-line presence that gives your basic resume, a short bio, goal list, and related talents/skills along with a PDF download option and of course, contact details. You may want to include video but not what we usually think of, this is for a job as a pitch person & communicator so you aren't doing tricks UNLESS its shots of you doing a pitch for whatever effect. . . you can even stage scenarios in which you're pitching cookware or tools, etc. just to show variety . . . study Vinnie and the other fast talkers on Tv and you'll get the gist.

Along this course, you can check with Flea Markets in that they used to be a haven for pitch booths during this time of year and what's known as a Jam Auction.

In this kind of economy and uncertain political season you almost have to create your own work. It's out there but you really need to focus on the sort of jobs that will give you the most for the energy invested. A seasonal job as a "spokesperson" can open doors but will likewise give you time to scout out other leads for something more "fixed" and practical. Coupling the seasonal pitch work with close-up bits at the local eateries & pubs will mean long hours but it also means that you're generating some level of income vs. being completely down and out . . . you're working towards your main goal.

I hope this gives you a contrast and as such, a bit of hope when it comes to what can be done and may be out there waiting for you to snatch it up.

Best of luck!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results