Preparation - In Front of Audience

Aug 2, 2008
Cincinnati
After watching the video of David Blaine's performance, it got me thinking: How do you set up the deck for the next trick in front of spectators? Blaine seems to keep connecting with his audience through humor and patter in between tricks. He is super good at controlling his audience. Do you do something similar to his or something different? I've never tried since I haven't really been into magic too long but I'd imagine you would need to be good at it if you were transitioning from, say, biddle trick to 2 card monte. What do you think?

Nov 10, 2007
One thing you can do is spread through the cards looking at the spectator when outjogging one of the cards you need say something like " yeah this looks good ". Do you know what I mean.

Jun 24, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
The thing here, imo. Is you're looking at this from a magicians point of view. Think of it as a spectator, are you really going to know what's going on? He has control, he maintains control and that allows him to do just about anything. If even you think he's setting something up, he's a solid performer and you will get lost within the trick and completely forget about the offbeat parts such as sitting up the deck.

Jul 26, 2008
NJ
For 2CM, I actually show them that I'm looking through the deck and I say I'm looking for the two red aces, and then I set it up in front of their faces. Hey, that rhymed...

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
one word:

CULL!!!!

By far the most useful technique to setup a deck right in front of the spectators. I recommend you learn the roadrunner cull (kostya kimlot) which will give you a fast way to set up a deck. You can have 4 aces on the top of the deck just by spreading through the cards.

Nov 18, 2008
CA
You can have 4 aces on the top of the deck just by spreading through the cards.

once? because the only technique that i know for culling requires me to close the pack after one card is culled. I would definetly be interested in learning a technique that doesn't require this......1-on-1???

Sep 2, 2007
London
once? because the only technique that i know for culling requires me to close the pack after one card is culled. I would definetly be interested in learning a technique that doesn't require this......1-on-1???

The best source for learning the move is Kostya Kimlat's The Roadrunner Cull DVD. You'll not only get the basic move, but learn several applications, plus a load of good tricks, including my favourite Triumph called Culligula Triumph.

Aug 2, 2008
Cincinnati
The thing here, imo. Is you're looking at this from a magicians point of view. Think of it as a spectator, are you really going to know what's going on? He has control, he maintains control and that allows him to do just about anything. If even you think he's setting something up, he's a solid performer and you will get lost within the trick and completely forget about the offbeat parts such as sitting up the deck.

Yeah that makes sense. He sucks you in pretty well with his perfromance. I obviously need to get at that part.

Jun 24, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
The cull taught by that dvd is simply incredible and as stated. As stated you can spread through the cards one time and have control over the cards you need for the setup. The Dvd is broken down from beginner cull to advanced cull so you can follow along with it as you learn it instead of trying to figure out where you're at. I would recommend it to just about anyone how takes close-up card magic seriously as it's a wonderful technique to learn.

Nov 18, 2008
CA
The cull taught by that dvd is simply incredible and as stated. As stated you can spread through the cards one time and have control over the cards you need for the setup. The Dvd is broken down from beginner cull to advanced cull so you can follow along with it as you learn it instead of trying to figure out where you're at. I would recommend it to just about anyone how takes close-up card magic seriously as it's a wonderful technique to learn.

http://www.kostyamagic.com/roadrunner-details.php

Check it out. Best cull ever. You can cull half the deck with his. separate red from black, and check out the awesome triumph.

The best source for learning the move is Kostya Kimlat's The Roadrunner Cull DVD. You'll not only get the basic move, but learn several applications, plus a load of good tricks, including my favourite Triumph called Culligula Triumph.

Wow sounds pretty darn crazy.....gosh, my wishlist just keeps getting longer.

May 31, 2008
my way

if i ever set up, I look through the face up pack and say "we're gonna do something with some cards here". Then cull the cards, or cut the cards at the needed cards. Often I'll openly put the cards on the face of the pack. Notice this is during an offbeat moment. Then, if the spectator picks cards within the effect i say. "what am I thinking picking the cards, how about you pick the cards." I quickly do a few false cuts, and possibly a riffle shuffle maintaining the setup. As for 2 card monte for instance, I say, "lets use the queens, finding 4 cards". For 4 ace tricks, I would take out all 4 aces, and "lose" them into the pack after doing a 4 for 4 switch.

Sep 1, 2007
Check it out. Best cull ever. You can cull half the deck with his. separate red from black, and check out the awesome triumph.

Or use the angle spread cull to cull all 4 suits in 2 spreads ;)

Roadrunner cull is definitely the way to go though. Just keep talking with the audience, relate with them as you go..Do it during offbeats, whenever.

Also, try and routine a little bit so that you arent setting up between EVERY trick. You don't want a lull between all of them or you'll slowly lose focus. Try and have sequences which all lead in to the next trick's set-up.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results