Presentation Puzzle

Oct 5, 2012
Hi All,

So to head some concerns off at the pass...
I am not racing a deadline to resolve this before a performance
I understand that presentation is highly dependent on personality/style
I am not thinking in terms of methods right now

Now that that is out of the way...

Assume that you are in the following condition(s)
The aces have been openly removed into a face down pile
A selection has been (hidden) added to this pile

What effect would you use to reveal this? Where would you go from here?

Just trying to gather some thoughts or ideas...right now I am thinking the aces disappear from the spectators hands and are transformed into the selection.

What would you do? What references/existing effects/plots would you recommend along these lines?

Oct 5, 2012

That is a nice one. I also like Tom Stone's Kings Castling. For me though, I would like to eliminate the moment when the four of a kind touch the deck...though that is a technical concern rather than a presentational one. I like the use of the "Detective" style sandwich plot in the Mayhew trick...even though it is a bit of a bait-and-switch.

Sep 1, 2007
Just trying to gather some thoughts or ideas...right now I am thinking the aces disappear from the spectators hands and are transformed into the selection.

Why? Why are the four aces significant to that? The same plot has at least a dozen methods that are more economical than having to vanish 4 cards from someone's hand to reveal a single card.

This is one of the problems with most card magic: there's no internal logic or motivation. So that's probably the first step. How do you get from 4 aces to a selection, and why are you doing it?

Oct 5, 2012
Why? Why are the four aces significant to that? The same plot has at least a dozen methods that are more economical than having to vanish 4 cards from someone's hand to reveal a single card.

This is one of the problems with most card magic: there's no internal logic or motivation. So that's probably the first step. How do you get from 4 aces to a selection, and why are you doing it?

Absolutely. This is precisely the question I am working through. It is a method I find interesting and compelling, and I am trying to find the reasoning/motivation to frame it all. I agree that too often it is just pasteboard fireworks. I realize that there are more streamlined approaches for a standard "selection/location". Part of what intrigues me with the method is the capacity to stress the initial conditions up until the moment the cards go into their hand (displaying the four aces "only"). The "Why?" is definitely still the big question, and part of what I was trying to crowdsource.

Apr 6, 2011
Lansing, MI
Method wise.. I would leave one ace in the deck face up (unknown to the spectators, they still think the four aces are on the table face down). Then use a face up Elmsley Count to "clearly" show all four aces(obviously use a red ace as your double counted card). Then reveal the ace in the deck. Now from here, you could either A) reveal their card sandwiched between two black aces, or B) watch a Helder guimaraes performances of the four aces. Cause your set up pretty darn well, and his ending is pretty nice.

Sep 1, 2007
The "Why?" is definitely still the big question, and part of what I was trying to crowdsource.

Well, I don't know a whole lot about you, so that makes it difficult to answer. Hmmm.... Are you absolutely married to the 4 aces? Or will any 4 cards with an obvious theme work?

Oct 5, 2012
Any four cards would work. My thought was to use this as a follow-up to an aces production, but it could be any four of a kind.

Tyler, which Helder trick do you mean? Twinzinser? Or is it from Red Mirror?

As for me (who I am, etc), I am still trying to get a handle on my performance persona. Re-reading strong magic and working through the exercises. An important element of my performing scenario is that I am a teacher and primary perform for students. They know me outside of magic and it isn't really possible to put on a "magician mask" as thoroughly as professional performing might allow...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results