Problem about forgeting effects

Mar 27, 2008
Hey everyone,
I have a problem of learning too much effects. I learn them, and forget the old ones. I assume that you guys also get new dvds and learn new effect, but what do you do with the older effects?

May 3, 2008
Singapore
www.youtube.com
ahh, you seem like a effect collecter.
you shouldnt "collect effects" but rather work on the ones you already have till youve got them close to perfect.
But if you already have perfected all the material you already have, youve to decided which effects make it into your routines and which are not exactly relevant. That way, you wont forget your best effects.

Vastago

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Mexico

Record them... that way you wont forget the patter you use and it will help you improve the effect.

Sep 1, 2007
It's really easy to remember them if you routine them. When you finish one effect, you'll intuitively know which one comes next. Put them in a logical order. For instance, if you produce the aces for one effect, use those four aces for the next effect. I usually start with interlaced vanish (Paul Harris), then do Reset (Paul Harris), and then do Thank You Le Paul (Syd Segal). Since I have the aces and kings from Interlaced Vanish, I can move right into Reset (I use kings instead of jacks).

Just use what ever mnemonic device that works for you.

Mar 29, 2008
This may be the first time I have seen ALL useful information about the subject by previous posters - APPLAUDS AT HIS COMPUTER!

Building routines allows you to chunk information - this is what comedians do for long sets. It helps, but tihs is more of the latter stages of learning, but you can still use it.

Writing them down does help - as it allows you to keep organized - write your sets/routines down also.

HOWEVER - FOOL nailed it on the head - the concept of learning includes retention - if you got your dog to plat dead - just because he did it once, doesn't mean you taught him...consistent response to the stimuli shows learning.

You are "seeing" and "trying" new effects, but you move on so quick you aren't actually learning. This is too bad, as you are just wasting your time spinning in circles. You will do everything poorly, rather than a few things well. Having a critical eye of what will work and won't will come with experience - in the meantime, take time with what you learn. Nothing is a waste - I have taught many magicians, and said - what you do now...you won't do it later, but you should still do what you do now well - as they are building blocks for your future.

Like in sports, master the basics, and things won't be so hard to remember....as you won't have to think about the moves and the sequence...just the order in which you need to apply them...which will allow you to move quicker to building it into a presentable effect.

SO - to answer your question - what do I do with my older effects? It depends - does the newly "played with" version offer any advantages, is it stronger or have a more direct approach? If so - I may replace it - I may do both - or I might play with the new one for awhile...then toss it with the many other effects I have tossed aside.

Not all magic out there is good magic - look at things more critically - you will see not everything is worth learning - hell, if we tried to learn everything we saw or read...we would never get anything done in the way of SHOWING magic.

I feel this post was cluttered, but with the guys above - you have a clear direction.

Mar 27, 2008
I haven't learned any effect for a while, but I know that I will be learning more of them. And I don't have a certain routine. I just do the effects in random order.

GOOD QUESTION

I try and use all the tools I have acquired over the past year and utilise them into a sort of routine e.g. Darren Browns 3 card routine is all these different moves that CAN BE USED AS ONE EFFECT PACKED INTO one routine that’s what I try and do so an example fro me is

ambitious card then go into gambling effect then into 3 card location shoes pocket etc etc mix it up a bit use your strongest material and try and interweave them.

Sep 1, 2007
Find the tricks that you feel are your best tricks. They probably are not not be the ones that are the most technically advanced or the ones you've just recently learned. Pick ones that your audiences have enjoyed and that are powerful. Really analyze your tricks and find the ones that are most workable, practical, direct, and stong effects. After you know what tricks are your best ones, it's time to do some more field work. Just keep doing the same tricks over and over again to different audiences. Everytime you perform a trick you will learn a little bit more about it. The more you know about the trick the closer to perfect you can make it. Some of this happens naturally and performing the tricks becomes as second nature to you and you won't even have to think about the techical side of the performance.

Ever seen a professional magician perform? If you see the same magician multiple times you'll quickly realize that the magician's act has always the same effects. Why don't they change their tricks? Well, simply because those tricks are a result of hard work. If you work on one trick for 10 years, you will not want to throw all that work away to replace it with a different trick and start everything again from square one.

You can play around with different ideas as much as you like, but always make sure you've got those couple little things that are polished and workshopped to as close to perfection as possible.

Sep 2, 2007
I experiment some tricks on people and if they don't work, GONE!

But serioursly, if i read a book or watch a DVD I only try to the tricks I like, If they don't get good reactions, I experiment another trick.

Example, Smooth operations is filled with stuff I don't use, I only use two tricks, a flourish and that change.

That's just me though, try some things out, and see what you like.

Have a notebook and draw a timetable in it .. Record as needed, full with script, or better do it in your PC, so you can easily edit out and add improvments and notes to your scripts.

Many times I workout an effect, or work on an a new effect, then forget about it. Even if you actually work on it and performed it for a good couple of years, you'll forget it with the amount of material.

If you're a beginner, concentrate on one source at time, while this is important whatever your magic skill is, its extremely important if your a beginner in particular.

Good luck :)

Jul 14, 2008
I would write on the papers to remember the good old effects and how it brings out crazy reactions when I perform for the people.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results