Problems with a magician friend

Dec 18, 2009
I've been having some problems with a friend of mine who has justed started out in magic. Whenever I do an effect he goes and looks up how to do it. This is not what annoys me. What annoys me is that the day after he learns an effect he goes and performs it. I'm aware this is normal for a self working or very easy trick but thats not the case. Then after he learns it the next day he performs it in school. So I've been practicing my snap change for about two months and its very smooth and clean. The day after he learns it he comes in to class does a sucky job of it and everyone then knows how its done. I dont know what to say to him. any ideas? I dont want to be too harsh because I already gave him like an epic lecture on revealing tricks which he was also doing.

Aug 2, 2008
Cincinnati
I would say that you simply don't perform for him. Talk to him and make a deal that if you show him something he can't to perform it. Of course he might lie but, as I said before,don't show him anything. Just my opinion

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
I've been having some problems with a friend of mine who has justed started out in magic. Whenever I do an effect he goes and looks up how to do it. This is not what annoys me. What annoys me is that the day after he learns an effect he goes and performs it. I'm aware this is normal for a self working or very easy trick but thats not the case. Then after he learns it the next day he performs it in school. So I've been practicing my snap change for about two months and its very smooth and clean. The day after he learns it he comes in to class does a sucky job of it and everyone then knows how its done. I dont know what to say to him. any ideas? I dont want to be too harsh because I already gave him like an epic lecture on revealing tricks which he was also doing.

Every effect you do he finds the secret? Card tricks I suppose.

Have you tried actually teaching him how and when to perform tricks?
Self working tricks cant be done the next day just because they're self working.
They require an actual performance.
If he's content with being a hobbyist thats fine,but tell him to practice his sh!t right
because he will only make himself look foolish.

Sep 1, 2007
"Card tricks I suppose"?!

Dude, I think we all get that you're not all that into card magic; it infects just about every post you make at the moment. The fact that his friend is discovering secrets is nothing to do with the cards fercryinoutloud!

If your friend is copying your tricks - badly - then I suggest you have a mature conversation with him about it, and if you feel that he doesn't "get it", simply refuse to perform any magic around him. If your audiences like you they'll be sure to tell him to shove off, which will probably make him rethink things a little anyway.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
"Card tricks I suppose"?!

Dude, I think we all get that you're not all that into card magic; it infects just about every post you make at the moment. The fact that his friend is discovering secrets is nothing to do with the cards fercryinoutloud!

Yes it does. Every single trick that is being exposed now are almost solely card tricks. Ive never heard or seen complaints of any tricks being exposed on youtube that arent card tricks save for the classic coin french drop and such. Also,this isnt the place to talk to me about that. Stick to the topic. Mine was relevant about cards being the most exposed on youtube or anywhere because that is whats so popular right now.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
That's mainly because card magic is some what streamlined. The DVD's are often cheap and easy for people to beg their parents for. The other thing is that a few think it makes em look smart if they expose it on youtube due to them not having any REAL friends in real life.

Sep 1, 2007
I believe the second half of my post was more than relevant to the topic. Apologies for the outburst.

Although, not to put too fine a point on it, I would put forward that a card trick which has had sufficient thought and practise put into it, that the performer has made their own, will be nigh on impossible to track down on youtube. If the trick is simply a cookie-cutter rendition of one of those popular effects that all dem kids are doing nowadays..then the fault lies, as always, with the performer, not the cards.

OK, that last bit was off topic. Sorta.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
I believe the second half of my post was more than relevant to the topic. Apologies for the outburst.

Although, not to put too fine a point on it, I would put forward that a card trick which has had sufficient thought and practise put into it, that the performer has made their own, will be nigh on impossible to track down on youtube. If the trick is simply a cookie-cutter rendition of one of those popular effects that all dem kids are doing nowadays..then the fault lies, as always, with the performer, not the cards.

OK, that last bit was off topic. Sorta.

No,that actually has some ground here.
He shouldnt stop performing cards for that mofo,but thats why its so easy for the kid to find out the methods for the tricks.
Also,as said before,you have to tell him to practice them so as to not embarrass himself as he did. Dont make it seem as if he's hurting your performance(which it shouldnt) but rather that he's hurting himself.

Jul 13, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
As others probably said, i have the same problem but a different situation.
I'll try talk to him and make him understand .... breaking his fingers is my second option

Sep 1, 2007
I think you credit the "mofo" with more intelligence and reason than he probably has.

Children are EASY to deal with. Reason with him, then when that inevitably fails, withold his toy until he either gets a new interest or learns the lesson all by himself.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results