Proposed Alternative Deck Stack: need comments

Oct 13, 2008
Hello T11,

I wanted to run this by the community before making any further decisions, even though I found the concept by myself. I doubt it is in any way original, but I have not been able to find it anywhere and I wonder what you think. What would you say are the pros and cons of this particular system?

The idea is a modification of the Si Stebbins concept of stacked decks; however, it is not directly taken from the CHSD+3 stack used for Si Stebbins, but rather a variant I was taught by my friend, whose name contributes to the Young name of the Skyhawk-Young-Parker Arrangement. In the same terminology as I used, it is derived from the HSCD+4 stack.

What I was taught was a stack that is formed as follows: number-wise, each card is +4 from the one above it, while the suits follow what was originally referred to the House of CD order. HSCD. So for instance the Ace of Hearts is above the 5 of Spades which lies on top of the 9 of Clubs, etc. I originally wanted to see it because it seemed to solve a problem of the Si Stebbins: the red/black alternation of the suit colors. Turned out this method was no better :-/

During classes, I then tried to find out ways to solve this issue. Now I'm a practical person, but not too creative, so the solution might sound too simple to some, though your mileage may vary. What I ended up doing was this: Keeping the Young* order, implement an additional rule:

- If the card is odd (A 3 5 7 9 J or K), then go forward by suit, H -> S -> C -> D. For instance, King of Spades is followed by the 4 of Clubs.
- If the card is EVEN, however, reverse the suit progression immediately. Thus, H <- S <- C <- D. The 4 of Diamonds would then be followed by the 8 of CLUBS.

Honestly, I didn't even think it would work. But when I found out that it formed a closed complete loop (i.e. all the cards were accounted for and the progression loops back upon itself) I instinctively double-checked to see if I messed up somewhere. I did not, and I analyzed the distribution of the colors. In a nutshell, in contrast with the original series, you could NOT predict the next color to show up.

I'll be uploading documentation proving my results, but for now I think it wouldn't be too hard to check for yourself (not that I'm asking you to). I desire your comments, though but before you ask, yes, I am aware that the spectator doesn't really mind (or see) too much in real performance and that there are better (although more complex) systems such as the Osterlind system (which I possess). I only ask for comments pertaining to the possible merits and/or inherent flaws of this system and whether it would be good to use in a real performing environment.

I await your response :)

Sean

*I later found out this exact system was used in Kevin Parker's Psnype effect, leading me to believe that my friend learned it from him; hence the "Parker" addendum to the stack name.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
If it is a closed loop, then it will work just as well as any other system. It seems vaguely complicated, but I also haven't put a lot of thought into it. The Osterlind system works great for me, so I see no reason to substitute another at this point.

Congrats, though, on finding your own system. Work with it for a while and I'm sure you'll come up with something to put it to most effective use.

Oct 13, 2008
If it is a closed loop, then it will work just as well as any other system. It seems vaguely complicated, but I also haven't put a lot of thought into it. The Osterlind system works great for me, so I see no reason to substitute another at this point.

Congrats, though, on finding your own system. Work with it for a while and I'm sure you'll come up with something to put it to most effective use.

Thank you. Personally, having tried the Osterlind system, it's not (yet) my type. SYP is indeed a closed loop, but I disagree with "vaguely complicated."

For starters, I found it of adequate complexity to suit my needs, but not too complex that I could slip up easily in performance. There's always a tradeoff between "randomness" and ease of memory, and this is no exception. However, I find that this order, with only 3 different memory directions to keep (HSCD order, +4 numbers and change of direction based on evenness of the original value), is simpler than the Osterlind, which would entail 6 different rules to remember here (coded value of suit, calculation of the numerical value and four different modifications based on suit and value of the original card).

From what I've seen, I'd rank the stacks like this:

LEAST RANDOM/SIMPLEST:
New Deck Order
Si Stebbins, 8 Kings order (simplistic algorithm)
Boris Wild Instant Memorized Deck System (not a closed loop)
Skyhawk-Young-Parker Stack
Osterlind Breakthrough Card System (Multi-layered algorithm)
Tamariz Mnemonica Stack (complete memory)
MOST RANDOM/HARDEST

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
Initially Stebbins was designed with the addition of 4 rather than 3 which has become popular now days.

Personally I would recommend looking into the Ayers Shuffled System ASS or Doug Dymnets DAO stack which is almost the same.

Both those stacks have an advantage over your stack as yours has banks of 13 cards.

Oct 13, 2008
Initially Stebbins was designed with the addition of 4 rather than 3 which has become popular now days.

Personally I would recommend looking into the Ayers Shuffled System ASS or Doug Dymnets DAO stack which is almost the same.

Both those stacks have an advantage over your stack as yours has banks of 13 cards.

You've got a GOOD point :(

I went through Dymnet's stuff on his website which had this spreadsheet detailing different algorithmic stacks (including SS and BWIMD systems). The one published by Ellis Stanyon (1913, CHSD order, values increment by +5, +2, +3, then +4) is VERY promising in my regards; time to conduct the experiments again :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results