Purist state of mind.

Jan 17, 2010
I've had this question on my mind for a few months now and decided to ask.

I've had a good friend that has been involved in magic for six or seven years now. We both started around the same age but have a few differences. My friend has a strong purist state of mind. Him and I are by no means new to the art, yet since T11 was up three years ago he only purchases effects released by T11 ONLY.

You have to admit, 99.99% of the time one can count on T11 products in performance and method. Are these flawless sites like T11 here to ease our magic purchasing experience? If this is a problem my friend has, how can it be addressed?

Gracias.

Sep 3, 2007
I wouldn't worry about it. T11 has good magic. If your friend likes it don't try to talk him out of it. The real question is, what would you recommend your friend do?

Jan 17, 2010
I would recommend him to branch out and try different shops. That why I posted this issue, to see different perspectives.

Sep 3, 2007
I would recommend him to branch out and try different shops. That why I posted this issue, to see different perspectives.

That's what I would do as well. Where do you usually buy effects? You could give him some valuable info to widen his perspective.

Feb 5, 2010
i do agree with both of you guys on this. if he like T11 only thats cool. T11 has great effects.
But on the other hand only getting magic from one site is pretty boring. beingable to look at different site for magic will show you what else there is for magic.

Sep 3, 2007
i do agree with both of you guys on this. if he like T11 only thats cool. T11 has great effects.
But on the other hand only getting magic from one site is pretty boring. beingable to look at different site for magic will show you what else there is for magic.

Agreed completely. And... If you want your friend to look into different material. Perform a trick from another website. He might like it. He may even go purchase it.

Mar 4, 2010
I constantly have three magic site tabs open:

Ellusionist, Penguin and Theory11.

I'm sure he can use the other two as well.

Apr 1, 2009
California
You will be sorely limited as a magician if you stick to any one site. In this day and age of internet, you have a nearly unlimited amount of material, while Theory11 is... well.. limited. Yes, Theory11 has some great quality material, but so does Ellusionist, Papercrane, Penguin, MJM, and so on. Same goes to if you limit yourself to either books or DVDs. immerse yourself in anything and everything you can get on the art. Buying the material is one thing though, THEN, you have to study until this is engrained in your system.

Sep 1, 2007
yet since T11 was up three years ago he only purchases effects released by T11 ONLY.

Tell your friend he has become an Apple-tard only with pasteboard instead of ergonomic crap that can't play good video games.

As has been mentioned above, this is the Age of Information. A wealth of knowledge about any and all subjects unlike anything in recorded is history is literally at your fingertips. If you want to learn an ancient skill like by becoming a brand whore then it's time to re-evaluate your priorities.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I don't think you should do anything but suggest that he might want to check other sites out. If not, it's totally his call. Free will and all that.

There's no right way to learn magic. If he wants to limit himself to one site, that's his decision.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
I had the privilege of spending nearly 9 hours with Jason England this last weekend, and I was very much reminded of how much great stuff there is in old books.

Someone already said it, but go find a trick from somewhere else (like a good book) and show him.

T11 has some great stuff, but I can't help but notice that on their 1 on 1's they are always recommending other great resources.

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
I find it extremely odd that one would be a T11 purist when they have 7 years of experience under their belt. Considering that T11 is relatively new to the community, didn't he have sources from before?
T11 has high quality products but they aren't always the best. What will a 7 year magician do with a video on double lifts?
Tell your friend to branch out to more than just the internet. What he needs to do is find a real magic shop and visit it for a few hours. You could also just have a big jam with a few people. The things you hear and talk about will surely change his mind.
Someone may show him something, he finds it interesting, cant find it on T11? damn...
But as said before, he should have realized that being a brand purist is extremely stupid when pursueing a hobby like magic. He sounds experienced... so why is he so ignorant about such a simple fact?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results