Question about Distortion

Jul 19, 2008
I will try to make this as non revealing as possible, but mods please correct me if you must.

I would like to buy distortion as it looks amazing, however I have one concern. I understand the method, and I was wondering if the method is very visible, because I don't want to waste money on a gimmick that won't be able to be used really close up.

Ben

May 4, 2008
NYC
well, for the effect you will have to shake the card or else, if held in place, people might see what's going on.
Also lighting may be an issue sometimes, but u can get around that easily by creating shade or moving the gimmick more. But the gimmick is very invisible to the naked eye IF you wave the gimmick around enough.
When I first performed it, I did it for a group of people in a classroom so i was scared as hell that the gimmick would flash, but, I figured, as long as i move it enough, no one will see it, and no one did.
I don't know how close up your gonna perform this, but I think you're pretty much golden if you got the lighting and the movement down.
I think as long as you wave the gimmick enough, no one will catch you.
Also, the gimmick itself is gnacky, you'll have to get used to it; and if not used properly, it will wear out (but i have a solution that can make it last a bit longer).

Overall, it is a very powerful, visual effect which WILL FREAK PEOPLE OUT, or just make them really confused. It gets great reactions.

P.S. if you DO buy it, watch the DVD before you play around with the gimmick b/c wayne goes over how to treat the gimmick, trust me, I learned what happens the hard way. And I can suggest a way to make the gimmick last a bit longer.

Jun 13, 2008
Tacoma, WA
In most cases you shouldn't have a problem. As Tomohamano said, the motion is vital, though I wouldn't necessarily call it shaking. It's more of waving. I'm sure you'd be able to play around with it enough to find out what would and wouldn't work before performing. If you like the video performance, I highly recommend getting it.

Sep 1, 2007
California
Overall, it is a very powerful, visual effect which WILL FREAK PEOPLE OUT, or just make them really confused. It gets great reactions.

Just pointing out, FYI, that it's definitely NOT a good thing that your spectators are getting confused. It's NEVER good when that happens. Confusion is not exchangeable with magic.

As for the gimmick, I think the effect is great. Personally, I never perform it because it's bad pocket management and I have to carry around a deck set up for this effect. Hell to the no... For some weird reason I have two gimmicks and nothing to do with them, so .. uhm... yah. They will stand up to scrutiny as long as you are confident and act as if what you're doing is normal. No need to even wave in large motions like previously stated. I performed this three times under different lighting conditions including school and very minimal waving is necessary to achieve the BEST reactions from spectators. In fact, I'd suggest not to wave a lot or quickly. Be smooth like W:H and you should be fine. After all, the only thing that is going to give it away is if you somehow leave the gimmick card out in plain sight for spectators to burn, and I guess you have no justification to do that, so you'll be fine.

Aug 24, 2008
Greece
Well i have performed this effect many times and had no problem. To get the best reactions as others said DONT WAVE THE CARD TOO QUICKLY!!! this is essential as many people will not see the magic take place.I mostly perfrorm at nights[street magic] or parties where I have no problrm with the lightning and i have practiced with many different waving motions and i once or twice completely stopped moving it and no one caught me.Remember that the spectators have no reason to think of a gimmick.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results