Question about Submit A Trick

I have come up with a pretty innovative piece of strange that I think is worthy enough to submit to be marketed & sold to the general public. However, it is SUCH a good idea, I'm not even sure I'd want to release it. To be honest, if I was finacially set right now, I probably wouldnt consider it either way. So the main question is, would I be able to submit a trick that anyone could buy & perform anywhere they want to for whoever they want to, except for television? In other words, would I be able to reserve the television rights to an effect I created, even though it's being sold to the general public? If the answer is yes, than I'd feel more comfortable in selling it knowing that if I ever get lucky enough to get my own tv show, I'd be able to be the first to perform it on tv, as I would like to be known for not only creating it, but also being able to do it, sort of like a trademark/signature piece of mine, or maybe even perform it on AGT if I ever got the chance. I have many more ideas for other effects that I created that could also be sold, & wouldnt care if someone did those on tv, it's just this one that I really want to save for myself, as I'm sure most of you can understand where I'm coming from.

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
hold onto it. Practice it, perform it, MASTER IT! then rework it and make it even better. work the kinks out and perfect it. after another 5 to 10 years come back and then sell it.

Thanks guys. Deep down, that's what I'd really like to do, but I know the temptation will be high when I put a video up of me doing it & have tons of magician's pming me & asking to buy it/release it to the public. So I guess that also motivates me to keep creating more stuff that I could sell & not care if magican's do on tv, but so far, this is the best Ive got & I feel like it would be the only way to get my foot in the door into the world of selling tricks, where as without it my other ideas no one might think would be marketable enough. Either way, no matter what I decide, Im gonna just keep creating, as for some reason this month especially, I'm on a killer creating streek, but it has always been my passion to think of new ways to take magic into different directions in general, so I cant wait to see what more craziness I can come up with!

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
I think that when we create a trick automatically you know for what kind of audience is, if is worth selling it, and also you´ll know if this will be marketable...

I don´t believe you need to practice it 5 or 10 years to have it down and then sell it...I think maybe you can create a trick or have a great idea, but maybe won´t suit you, so you work it some time and then you sell it..It depends of the person of course,while some creators can work an idea for years, other person can work it for months and then it´s ready..

Is your trick..do as you please with it... if you think it´s worth selling it, maybe you should submit it to some sites, like T11 or Ellusionist

Like I said, if it comes down to it & I do decide to submit it, I'd like to find out if I would still be able to reserve the television rights to the effect, than I'd consider selling it. If not, I'm still gonna have second thaughts.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Moore Majik,

Many people sell effects but reserve the television rights to those effects simultaneously. Whilst I'm not in the know about the legal ins and outs of the proceedings, nor T11's policy on this issue, I do know that it's possible. If you really want to submit it, I would contact one of the crew about this - they would be able to advise you on the important points far better than most of us regular members could.

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
I dont know anything about this topic but...
I wouldnt recommend releasing it if you are worried it will be shown elsewhere.
Most tricks dont have copyright so technically anyone can perform it anywhere they like right? I dont know. but just a thought.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results