Rate this trick from the Mindfreak!

Jul 19, 2009
looks alot like boxing m by daniel madison which can be found on his III lecture notes.

-M.

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLtfO17R2AM

I would personally give it a 2/10. How much would u rate it, from a cardician's point of view.

See, this is what is wrong with magic today! Comments like these!!
Magicians of today don't realize that it's not about the trick or wheather or not it was staged or wheather or not if a certain magician liked it or not.

IT'S ABOUT IF THE AUDIENCE LOVES IT!!! THAT'S IT! If they enjoyed it then you've done your job.
I personally love this trick that criss did. I would give it like a 9.5/10 or so.

You guys are talking about evolving magic yet you are actually are the reason it's being held back!!! Come on guys!

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
I love how he speaks in third person
"criss angel can do some of the most amazing close up conjuring"
(also needs to stop asking if its been prearranged in every trick)

The effect in itself is prettty rad. Theres been so many ways to pull this off.

timsilva

Elite Member
Nov 18, 2007
California
timsilva.com
He's a great entertainer. Cool effect.

I think he turned the card over WAY too fast though. The girl was completely into it, and he didn't build it up as much as he could have.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I will say that the amount of rings he had on would distract me from the magic as a spectator, but as an effect it was pretty damn good.

Even pre-arranged with both people, the effect is awesome.

I'll go further and say this, I'm not going to say if it's right or wrong for you to use stooges, but I do use them. Both pre-arranged and impromptu stooges, I use them because it enhances the presentation and makes things easier and sometimes even more impossible.

May 9, 2008
Magicians of today don't realize that it's not about the trick or wheather or not it was staged or wheather or not if a certain magician liked it or not.

IT'S ABOUT IF THE AUDIENCE LOVES IT!!! THAT'S IT! If they enjoyed it then you've done your job.
I personally love this trick that criss did. I would give it like a 9.5/10 or so.

You guys are talking about evolving magic yet you are actually are the reason it's being held back!!! Come on guys!

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!! HIS AUDIENCE DIDN"T LOVE THE TRICK! THERE WAS NO REAL AUDIENCE THERE. HE WASN"T ENTERTAINING ANYONE THERE. EVERYONE THERE WAS A PAID AUDIENCE. SHE WAS A PAID ACTOR. THERE WAS NO 10 IN THE DECK TO BEGIN WITH. HE HAD 2 STOOGES AND 2 GIMMICKED DECKS. THAT IS NOT MAGIC! When you use nothing but camera tricks and stooges....that's not magic.

Jv

Jan 11, 2008

I agree with what JetEyeNight said...how can the audience love your performance if you can't even do it in the first place...

Inferno Kaiser

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!! HIS AUDIENCE DIDN"T LOVE THE TRICK! THERE WAS NO REAL AUDIENCE THERE. HE WASN"T ENTERTAINING ANYONE THERE. EVERYONE THERE WAS A PAID AUDIENCE. SHE WAS A PAID ACTOR. THERE WAS NO 10 IN THE DECK TO BEGIN WITH. HE HAD 2 STOOGES AND 2 GIMMICKED DECKS. THAT IS NOT MAGIC! When you use nothing but camera tricks and stooges....that's not magic.

*Sigh*

You are forgetting something. How about the audiences that are watching the video. I'm an audience member, so is everyone else that just watched that video. I enjoyed watching the effect very much and by some of the other comments on here, so did other people.
Not to mention the MILLIONS of other people that ENJOY this trick and all the other tricks that Criss does! And like I said before, if the audience enjoys it, THAT'S ALL THAT MATTERS!

As I have said before, hating on Criss Angel or ANY magician for using stooges is STUPID! That's like hating on us for using a double lift! It's a method for a trick. That's it!

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
*Sigh*

You are forgetting something. How about the audiences that are watching the video. I'm an audience member, so is everyone else that just watched that video. I enjoyed watching the effect very much and by some of the other comments on here, so did other people.
Not to mention the MILLIONS of other people that ENJOY this trick and all the other tricks that Criss does! And like I said before, if the audience enjoys it, THAT'S ALL THAT MATTERS!

As I have said before, hating on Criss Angel or ANY magician for using stooges is STUPID! That's like hating on us for using a double lift! It's a method for a trick. That's it!

And its also completely pointless to get so damn upset about it.
Its not like the utterences on forums will make criss stop performing. Or anyone for that matter.
Its fine to discuss and laugh at his antics once in a while but all this "rage" is just a waste of breathe.

Sep 16, 2009
I know it's about the entertainment, but on the other hand Criss is messing it up for all of us, only because his sleight of hand isn't that good nor is he creative enough to come up with good stuff that doesn't require camera trickery or fake spectators.

His team on the other hand is awesome. Banachek is amazing! If there is someone who should've done this show it should've been him.

But back to Criss. By doing the impossible things he does, spectators who have seen it on TV will think magicians are able to do such things, but we aren't. Even if anyone would come up with a real life method to do it, it won't ever be "as good as Criss Angel did it". Therefor, Criss Angel makes the world of magic bigger but at the same time closes ways to explore for any other magician.

Personally I dislike Criss more than the Masked Magician (the last one has been broadcasted over here in the Netherlands, Criss didn't but still everyone knows him thanks to YouTube). I can easily convince people that the stuff magicians do isn't anything like the Masked Magician explained it, that he did it all for the money and explained possible methods but not the ones I or any other magician uses (or ever used). People believe that easily. As for Criss Angel, who IS a magician/illusionist, it's way harder to convince people that he's a fake because they think everything is possible in this world and I would just look like "a jealous person who doesn't have enough money to buy such a method himself".

Give this a watch too (Sorry that I keep linking the same guy but he just says it all IMO.):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHugOuXXPpE

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
And its also completely pointless to get so damn upset about it.
Its not like the utterences on forums will make criss stop performing. Or anyone for that matter.
Its fine to discuss and laugh at his antics once in a while but all this "rage" is just a waste of breathe.

If you're talking about me being upset, I'm not at all. I'm more trying to inform people. Because people are always talking about Advancing magic and hating on a guy for disliking his methods is just dumb. :p

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
I know it's about the entertainment, but on the other hand Criss is messing it up for all of us, only because his sleight of hand isn't that good nor is he creative enough to come up with good stuff that doesn't require camera trickery or fake spectators.

His team on the other hand is awesome. Banachek is amazing! If there is someone who should've done this show it should've been him.

But back to Criss. By doing the impossible things he does, spectators who have seen it on TV will think magicians are able to do such things, but we aren't. Even if anyone would come up with a real life method to do it, it won't ever be "as good as Criss Angel did it". Therefor, Criss Angel makes the world of magic bigger but at the same time closes ways to explore for any other magician.

Personally I dislike Criss more than the Masked Magician (the last one has been broadcasted over here in the Netherlands, Criss didn't but still everyone knows him thanks to YouTube). I can easily convince people that the stuff magicians do isn't anything like the Masked Magician explained it, that he did it all for the money and explained possible methods but not the ones I or any other magician uses (or ever used). People believe that easily. As for Criss Angel, who IS a magician/illusionist, it's way harder to convince people that he's a fake because they think everything is possible in this world and I would just look like "a jealous person who doesn't have enough money to buy such a method himself".

Give this a watch too (Sorry that I keep linking the same guy but he just says it all IMO.):

And as magicians in this day in age trying to evolve magic need to EVOLVE it! Make it bigger as criss is doing it! Don't whine and complain saying that criss is making it too good for us! If you wanna make magic better, then do it!

ps. And you do realize his team is the one that gives him ideas for his tricks. So people like Banachek are the one's that tell him what tricks to do. lol

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
but on the other hand Criss is messing it up for all of us, only because his sleight of hand isn't that good nor is he creative enough to come up with good stuff that doesn't require camera trickery or fake spectators.

How is that messing things up for us?

woah boy,speak for yourself. Ive heard many people and myself included recieve the compliment that we are "better than criss angel" or david blaine whichever.
Its not the tricks at all. Its always been how you perform them.
I make card through window an effect larger than life. With my audiences I make it a big deal.Which in turns gave me the status of "better than criss" in that specific performance. Dont blame another magician for your woes.

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
How is that messing things up for us?

woah boy,speak for yourself. Ive heard many people and myself included recieve the compliment that we are "better than criss angel" or david blaine whichever.
Its not the tricks at all. Its always been how you perform them.
I make card through window an effect larger than life. With my audiences I make it a big deal.Which in turns gave me the status of "better than criss" in that specific performance. Dont blame another magician for your woes.

Agreed! :D

Sep 16, 2009
I disagree. There are so many great illusions and effects Criss could've done instead of faking (almost) everything. If he would've been only on TV, fine, but this guy has stage shows as well which makes everyone believe everything he does is real.

I once got asked to give a stage magic lecture the other day, outside on a really nice day, and I was asked to finish the thing with "something really spectacular like Criss Angel" getting examples of actual stage and non-existing illusions which are impossible to do outside on the street but because Criss did it, I should've been able to do it too.

You guys obviously haven't had to deal with certain people, and I hope you actually will someday because you will see what some others and I are talking about. And yes, magic is about the performance, and Criss his performances are full of flaws, but do you think the people who like watching him care about that? All they see is that illusion, that thing they will actually remember, that thing no magician can do in real life. It's the big difference between TV magic and magic in real life. In real life it's the performance that counts, on TV it are the effects.

Jun 22, 2009
I think the reason why C:A comes off as a bad magician to you is because his name has been thrown at you... but if you think about it...how many laymen will ask you to perform a Paul Harris effect? or any other respectful performer? none will and its simple... they only get exposed to a slim few on TV. TV has had the impact on the masses when it comes to magic. And Criss along with Blaine are of the few to be there for the world to see and so that's all the world will know as the general idea of magic.

Let it go... its pointless to be upset by it. I don't care for him either, but I don't need other people to back my opinion.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results