Re-Emphasizing

Apr 20, 2013
I write this thread in response of what I've experienced today.

Today, I was invited to attend a "magic community conference" by a local "magic community/group."
When I arrived, I was asked to sit down and enjoy performances from the "magicians" from the community.
20 minutes later, I left the place.

You want to know the reason why I left?
They are not magicians, and they are not performing for the audiences.
They are not even a good performer, of any kind of sorts.
They claim to be a PROFESSIONAL and has done tons of gigs, yet I literally SAW their hands SHAKING and their words FALLING like pieces of lego.
Their presentations are worse than a 6-grader present his/her art project in front of his/her classmates.
They BRAG about how other famous magicians are utterly NOT GOOD and about how they got their expensive props, gimmicks.
They ARROGANTLY showed off their KNOWLEDGE of tons of magic secrets and tricks.
Yet they can't even speak PROPERLY in front of a real audience.

I was so angry and disappointed, as well as felt dishonored, and left immediately after several performances.

What I want to emphasize here for my fellow magicians on T11 is that the audience DID NOT care on how you got your gimmicks, how expensive it is, how many tons of secrets you knew about magic.
They want to be ENTERTAINED.
I don't care if you just do simple mind-reading, or simple ACR! Hell, or even a simple card force!
If at the end, they laugh, or shed tears, or even horrified and frightened by your performance; then you, sir, has just ENTERTAINED them.

I don't care if you do HAND-THROUGH-6-INCHES-THICK-GLASS, if at the end the spectators would go and says "Meh..."; then you, sir, is a perfect example of total failure.

What defines you as a magician are not your tons of gimmicks and props, not your knowledge about lots of tricks and secrets, not your cool stage name. It is how you ENTERTAIN the audiences.
You know Gazzo? He is the only magician that ever been taught by the legend Walter IRving Scott, and better yet his pioneer trick is not a Mega-astonishing-ultra-freaking-complicated game. His ace was a simple CUPS and BALLS!

I want to make my point clear here. If you consider yourself a "magician", then you need to know what you are doing to the audience, not what you are doing to yourself.

I'm sorry if this thread has lots of my own personal feeling and emotion.
Thank you for your attention.

-LYE

Sep 1, 2007
Woah bro, slow down for a second.

Just a couple questions for you to get some context here; how long have you been in magic (seriously into it)? and was this the first "magic club" meeting you've been to?

The reason I ask is two-fold; depending on how long you've been in magic, there are ways to turn these scenarios to your advantage. Two, there are ways to help this from happening in the future.

Now, some general advice; don't let this affect you. Let it go.

I've been in several scenarios exactly like what you're describing. I've even been in paid gigs performing alongside people like this. The worst thing you can do is let it affect you emotionally. If you're fuming at the gig, your audiences will be able to tell that something is wrong.

If you let things like this affect you while you're at home, you're letting them have power over you. You end up writing posts like this, or something even more time consuming, rather than spending the time to be productive and get better.

The ultimate victory over them is simple; be better. Work harder, work smarter. The only thing that will stop bad magicians, is if good magicians are more prevalent. You know why people book bad magic? They have nothing to compare it to.

People aren't stupid, if they see a good magician, and a bad one, they'll be able to tell the difference. Work hard for your sake, and the sake of the art. Trust me, I've been there.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I want you to read your post again.. Out loud and think about what you said for a min.

Now here is the thing. You are complaining about Magicians at a magic club who brag about things they don't do, also how they got their gimmicks or props. That is essentially what goes on in any magic club.

Now the other thing is this. You really shouldn't hold it against somebody for being nervous. Even guys who do perform for a living and have been for years. Get nervous and still get the shakes every so often. It is called being human and can cause you to forget lines or moves or just about anything. It happens. As for your other complaints... They pretty much have nothing to do with much of anything.

You were at a club that is mainly for magicians, and performing for magicians is something COMPLETELY different than performing for lay people.

Apr 20, 2013
@Austin Fields

Yes, I'm sorry for what my emotion has caused me to post in this forum.
I have been doing magic since I'm a junior high schooler so it's around 4-6 years of magic, 2 years of professional performing.
I do, however, felt dishonored attending that conference. I am pretty much angry at the time when I was there.
Thank you for your advice though, and I'm sorry for my post.

@Randy

I forgot to mention; When they failed to perform (e.g. flashing, etc ) they DIRECTLY reveal the secret of the magic ( Literally telling and teaching the spectators what they are actually doing aka the secrets ).
This is in my opinion is a big disgrace towards the industry of magic.

- LYE

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
@Austin Fields

Yes, I'm sorry for what my emotion has caused me to post in this forum.
I have been doing magic since I'm a junior high schooler so it's around 4-6 years of magic, 2 years of professional performing.
I do, however, felt dishonored attending that conference. I am pretty much angry at the time when I was there.
Thank you for your advice though, and I'm sorry for my post.

@Randy

I forgot to mention; When they failed to perform (e.g. flashing, etc ) they DIRECTLY reveal the secret of the magic ( Literally telling and teaching the spectators what they are actually doing aka the secrets ).
This is in my opinion is a big disgrace towards the industry of magic.

- LYE

Again, it is a magic club and the majority of people there don't perform for lay people. They are hobbyist who perform for other magicians. This is something you should have realized from the get-go.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results