Regarding Piracy/Torrents

Sep 19, 2007
Australia
I've seen too many torrent sites with countless of magic videos from known sites like ellusionist, theory11, papercraneproductions, sanderfx, etc etc etc posted and shared amongst its members and some even with the public.

Let me just say this:

There is NO WAY we can stop this phenomena. People decided they wanna share, it's their choice. But what we CAN do, is learn to respect the artists/inventors/creators/performers of all advertised effects. The amount of time, hard work, dedication they put into providing you the best materials possible/imaginable isn't worth you venturing onto one of those sites and downloading their sweat and tears from.
Some of the effects/materials we purchased from those great artists are worth more than we paid for, TONS more. They have every damn rights to keep the secrets, but they decided to share it with the magic community. And they not only just share it, they taught us, they made us professional performers, for what? less than $30 mostly?
So please, if you love what you see in the trailers or if you love what you read in the reviews, buy it. Save up the money and purchase the effect. Do it out of respect to the artists. If you still decide you should download them, nothing anybody can do to stop you. Just put yourself in the artists' shoes and tell me how you feel if your material was downloaded more than it was purchased.

Aug 24, 2008
Greece
We cannot do anything to stop piracy ,indeed, but by submitting threads like this one you also achieve nothing but letting people know that they can get effects for "free". I have no doubt that your intention when posting this thread was to discourage people from downloading magic videos but you achieved the eact opposite: made people aware of these "free purchases"

George

Apr 30, 2008
Sweden, Vänersborg
This is awful. Pirates are taking our magical secrets. In the 16:th Century pirates were hanged in public places and thats whats need to be done now if this is ever gonna stop.

I am proposing a militarytaskforce that kills all "internetpirates" without any trial.

Keep it G muthaphukkas.

Sep 19, 2007
Australia
We cannot do anything to stop piracy ,indeed, but by submitting threads like this one you also achieve nothing but letting people know that they can get effects for "free". I have no doubt that your intention when posting this thread was to discourage people from downloading magic videos but you achieved the eact opposite: made people aware of these "free purchases"

George

People who knows how to navigate around the internet, who knows how to navigate to this forum, should have enough knowledge to know the existence of torrents. So i don't think my post will provide them any new information regarding piracy or "free" magic on the internet.

Aug 24, 2008
Greece
People who knows how to navigate around the internet, who knows how to navigate to this forum, should have enough knowledge to know the existence of torrents. So i don't think my post will provide them any new information regarding piracy or "free" magic on the internet.

You have a point here. Why i said that is because a friend of mine who is in T11 forums (i am not revealing his name for obvious reasons) read a thread about piracy a couple of days ago and decided not to buy many of the effects he was about to purchase because he thought that it is not fair to pay for them while others get them for free.Though i have to agree that most people would know already about torrents.

P.S thanks for helping me with THREAD though i still find it painful and almost impossible to do.:confused:

Oct 24, 2007
I don't think we can stop people from sharing completely, but I think we can DECREASE sharing immensely. Think about it, most people that download stuff are kids that watched Criss Angel or David Blaine and they want to do magic. They aren't taught that stealing another artists work, without giving them anything for that work (money), is completely and utterly wrong and unethical. We can't completely stop them, but we can educate them and that's what we need to do. With YouTube exposers, I send a message to the person exposing (a kind message, being harsh doesn't get you anywhere) explaining why it is wrong and why their video should be taken down. Anyway, that's my little tidbit for now. Peace!

Tyler

Jun 8, 2008
Here is my take on people that pirate stuff Software, magic ect.

A lot of the people that pirate software and magic are just plain rookies at what they do. You won't see a Professional Magician pirate a Daniel Madison dvd, nor will you see a professional Photoshop user, pirate software.

They want things for free, They aren't willing to put an effort into saving up, and i'm willing to bet they won't put an effort into practicing the effects. They might learn the secrets behind the effects but that doesn't really matter does it ? I'm sure if Lee Asher or any of you guys for that matter performed Witness for me I'd absolutely love it, even tho I know exactly how it is done.
Hell i perform my stuff all the time to my friend, she knows how all my effects are done but she still enjoys it because they still fool her some what.

People that pirate stuff are loser rookies

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
Not to mention that these tricks are magician's jobs. This is what puts food on the table for a lot of them. Every DVD you rip off, your taking food off their plate(or possibly out of their kid's mouths).

People don't know what their doing when they're revealing tricks on youtube or putting tricks out on a torrent site.

It's a sad world.

Aug 31, 2007
I just don't understand why you would torrent a magic dvd, when you could be downloading The Dark Knight right now!

D

Deleted member 2755

I just don't understand why you would torrent a magic dvd, when you could be downloading The Dark Knight right now!

Great movie. ;) I absolutely agree with you Zach!

Jokes aside, this has been discussed here many times. Unless someone kills the internet, piracy will not stop. Piracy will ALWAYS exist and there is nothing we can do about it but be honest people ourselves.

-Doug

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Not to mention that these tricks are magician's jobs. This is what puts food on the table for a lot of them. Every DVD you rip off, your taking food off their plate(or possibly out of their kid's mouths).
Well, i really doubt it is that extreem.. Have you seen Chris Kenner's house, Wayne Houchin's house, did you see what they wear.. Their main income is deffinetly not from selling DVD's over the internet...

But i totaly agree on whole pirating(sp.) thing...

Exactly :)

Some of the effects/materials we purchased from those great artists are worth more than we paid for, TONS more. They have every damn rights to keep the secrets, but they decided to share it with the magic community. And they not only just share it, they taught us, they made us professional performers, for what? less than $30 mostly?

Holy **** are you crazy. No matter how much I love magic the only thing that I dislike are the prices.

Edit: Sorry for being off topic. But I agree with all of you

Sep 19, 2007
Australia
$30 for a single effect is nothing. Read the reviews, you always come accross people saying that the products they purchased are worth more than they paid for. I agree with you on some products like The Gecko and the M5, they are expensive and certainly not worth paying for. But 80% of the products we paid for are worth every dollar. Sure enough that there are times when we purchased something and hated it, and left the product there to dust and the effect hanging out from your bottom ready to flush, but that's maybe the effect doesn't suit our personal style/routine, otherwise it's still a great effect.
We are lucky that most, if not all, of the great effects from great artists are selling for less than $30. If you ask me what my favourite effects/products are and whether they're worth what i paid for, i'll say i would pay double the original price simply because it's worth that much to me if not more.

Dec 31, 2010
Most professional magicians don't need to pirate a DVD. They know and hopefully have created some awesome effects. Just like a professional Photoshop user wouldn't pirate Photoshop because they hopefully already have it and know how to use it. But there was a time before these people were "Professionals," and I bet that each one of them would have downloaded movies and tricks if they were that interested in learning magic. I agree that the secrets are of great worth and should be paid for accordingly. However, I do get upset when I have to buy a 'dvd only' trick to find out that I could have bought and made the gimmick myself. For that reason I myself prefer to check and see if the trick has been exposed online. I like to make sure I'm not buying some gimmick that I could easily make myself when all I needed was the secret. All the good tricks require practice and good performance anyway. And the really good tricks are the ones where you can tell the spectator exactly how it works and still fool them. The only torrents I see with magic related content have horribly low Seed counts, and I'm one of those people who can find . There's just not that many people pirating magic tricks. Just a few of us "amateurs" who like to build the gimmicks ourselves and possibly improve the design/trick. I think theory 11, ellusionist and the others are revolutionary for the industry. I'll continue to pay for the secrets/downloads and gimmicks that I know require materials that are not easily attainable. But not for a DVD with a bag of safety pins and magnets. Just my 2 cents.

Sep 2, 2007
London
The expectation of free content on the internet is here to stay, and should be embraced rather than feared by those who currently produce DVDs and music. It's just going to take a paradigm shift for people to realise how this brave new world of brave new media can be effectively monetised.

Taking Theory 11 as an example, yes, it's perfectly possible to get all of their products free of charge from a torrent site. But, how about this framework: T11 offer Bronze, Silver, and Gold levels of subscription, Bronze being free, Silver being $2 a year and Gold being $7 a year, with the higher-value downloads becoming available with higher levels of subscription. There would be no physical product, but the additional benefit you get from your subscription is guaranteed virus-free downloads, access to the creators via email or occasional online round table discussion, plus entry into competitions every now and then. Given the small initial investment for a year's subscription, I believe that such schemes would effectively wipe out the pirate market for T11 content, while still creating profit for T11.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results