Research

Jun 29, 2009
Saginaw, MI
I'm doing a research paper on History of magic and the culture that it involves for my College Composition class and was wondering if anyone knew of any good places to find useful information. the only thing i have really found so far was a video on you tube called the history of magic which was full of a lot of information but i need more than one resource. At Barnes and Noble there are only books that reveal secrets and thats not what i am trying to do so if anyone could help it would be geatly appreciated.

Dec 12, 2009
London Uk
Hmm Magicpedia is good but have common sense, Dai Vernon was not a rockstar/surfer :p

Magic peia is open source and anyone can edit it so like i said have some common sense.
A suggestion, pick 2 famousmagicians from the past say one stage performer, one close up performer and talk about them and their differences.

Write about how magicians are like students in a school learning about their craft.
Write about how magicians would go to GREAT lengths to entertain people.
Write about how magicians used to travel the world to find other magicians.... The magician and the card sharp, is a book on the story of Dai Vernon and Charlie miller looking for another sleight of hand artist that can do the Center Deal. Amazing book.

Here is something I did when I was doing an essay on theater, I found a stage director and just did a quick Q&A with him. Look around for Round table discussions here on theory11 or just kindly ask an experienced magician some questions.

Read these biographies and autobiographies:
Malini and his magic By Dai Vernon
Has a lot on his life and his shows also after the you finished writing your essay there are some nice tricks in there for you to practice and perform.
Dai Vernon: A Biography
A GREAT read on the professor, has some nice stuff on how Dai Vernon used a lot of methods used by card cheats

Those are enough, both great books you will learn a lot from.

Aug 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Well, there is a book called the illustrations of magic history, on magicmasters.com. Its currently out of stock there, but I'm sure if you type the title in google, you could come up with something.

Hope this helps,

-blake.

Dec 14, 2007
Conjuring arts research center. Had you attended magiccon you would have received a month of free searches. Joining at the lowest level will give you an amazing journal on magic history and access to magic sources than you can probably imagine.

danwhite

theory11 artist
Sep 1, 2007
Definitely start with the Milbourne Cristopher book. Take a look at the new Taschen book on Magic for its unbelievable photographs.

Mar 16, 2010
A magical Island
Hey Aguilar,

@danwhite: Yes, the Tachen Magic book is the hotness!

I think people have already pointed you towards some good sources. I would also note that William Kalush and Ricky Jay are pretty acomplished Magic historians and worth looking into.

here is a video of Kalush that the Essential Magic Con just put out:
http://vimeo.com/10358234

My comment would be that i think "the history of magic and magical culture" is a pretty broad topic. I might consider narrowing it down and looking at some piece of that more in depth.

There are a lot of great stories in the history of Magic from the middle ages onward, but i think you will find the history pretty foggy in some places and also very diverse. At times it has crossed paths with Imperialism, War, Technology, Religion, Cults, Sharlitons, Con men, Gamblers, Spiritualists, and of course Entertainment. I might focus on one of these or one period of history. Some examples...

•Robert-Houdin was recruited to use his magical skill to put down the revolt in Algeria under French occupation in the mid nineteenth century.

•Magicians worked with the Allies to create decoys of all kinds durring WWII.

•In America the Spiritualist phenomina around the turn of the century is very interesting as is Houndini's quest to expose it.

•There is also a huge history of Con men and Gambers in America and how they contributed to close-up magic and card magic specifically.

In regards to Magic culture i think this is an interesting topic, you could approch it from the stand point of the culture and secracy of magicians themselves or the general culture of magic within the public. Also a thing to keep in mind is Magic culture in India is very different then Magic culture in China and both are different from magic culture in the US and Europe. So again it might be good to focus in on something that interests you.

Good luck on the research!
J1P

Dec 12, 2009
London Uk
Hmm, I don't think he Houdin was requirted to put down the revolt...but Some Arab tribes claimed some had supernatural powers, so they sent Houdin to test their claims.

In fact, as the story was told in Magic And Showmanship, he showed the Arabs a bullet catch out side a public square.

Mar 16, 2010
A magical Island
Hmm, I don't think he Houdin was requirted to put down the revolt...but Some Arab tribes claimed some had supernatural powers, so they sent Houdin to test their claims.

In fact, as the story was told in Magic And Showmanship, he showed the Arabs a bullet catch out side a public square.

You are right that "put down" is not the correct phrase. "Discourage a revolt to French rule." i think would be more accurate, but to my knowledge the "Magical Mission" was to convince the tribes that French magic was superior to the local magic and discourage any possible revolt against the French occupation.

Here is the wiki entry on Houdin's Magical Mission in Algeria...
After Robert-Houdin retired, he devoted himself to his inventions with electricity and his writings. His home le Prieuré (the Priory), was a marvel in advancement.[3] His home was run entirely by electricity.

In 1856, he was asked by Louis-Napoleon to pacify the tribes in French Algeria. During this period, the French Army commanders maintained order in the newly pacified region. They supervised local Muslim administrations and the bureaux arabes. These areas were closed off to colonization by the Europeans.

Napoleon III was worried about a religious tribe called the Marabouts. The Marabouts were able to control their tribe with their faux magical abilities.[5] They advised their leaders to break ranks with the French.[2] Napoleon wanted Robert-Houdin to show that French magic was stronger.[5]

The magical mission began with an informal show at the Bab Azoun Theatre in Algeria where he would give performances twice weekly.[2] He also gave many special galas before the country’s tribal chiefs. He used The Light and Heavy Chest during these performances, but instead of playing it for comedy as he had in Paris, here he played it straight. Robert-Houdin once invited the strongest tribesman on stage and asked the Arabian to pick up the wooden chest placed on stage. The Arabian picked it up with no problem. Then Robert-Houdin announced that he was going to sap his strength. He waved his wand and declared, "Contempler! Maintenant vous êtes plus faible qu'une femme; essayer de soulever la boîte." ("Behold! Now you are weaker than a woman; try to lift the box.") The Arabian laughed at this and with all of his might, pulled on the handle of the chest. But it would not budge! He tried and tried until he tried to rip it apart. Instead, he screamed in pain, as Robert-Houdin had rigged the box to give the Arabian an electrical shock if he tried to rip the handles off. The Arabian let go of the handle, ran off into the aisle, and ran screaming out of the theatre.[3] A variation of this event was included in the movie The Illusionist.

After his performances were done, he gave a special presentation for several chief men of their tribe. He was invited to the home of the head of the tribe of the desert interior, Bou-Allem. In dawn of the Arab desert, Robert-Houdin was challenged to do a special trick. He obliged by inviting one of the rebels to shoot at him with a marked bullet, which he caught between his teeth. He was given a certificate from Bou-Allem,[4] who wore a red robe symbolizing his loyalty to France. With this scroll praising his mysterious manifestations, Robert-Houdin went back to France with the mission accomplished.[2]

"The blow was struck," Robert-Houdin said, "...henceforth the interpreters and all those who had dealings with the Arabs received orders to make them understand that my pretended miracles were only the result of skill, inspired and guided by an art called prestidigitation, in no way connected with sorcery." He went on to say, “The Arabs doubtless yielded to these arguments, for henceforth I was on the most friendly terms with them."[4] He was rewarded for his services of the French government by suppressing any possible rebellion.[5]

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results