Restaurant Magic

Nov 29, 2010
Hey guys, I'm a server in a restaurant and have been doing magic for awhile now. I'm looking to start performing for my tables, but I was wondering if anyone had advice on how to let my tables know I do magic. My favorite way to introduce magic when I was working in the bar was to just casually do something visual and act as if it was normal. Any ideas, advice, comments, and maybe even some good books to learn from are much appreciated.

Hmm... I'm not sure how you could introduce yourself. You could get another waiter(ess) to do it. For example, when (s)he's stating the featured meal of the day, they could also mention that there is a magician who can come around while they wait for their food.

Hope that helped!

Mehar

Mike.Hankins

creator / <a href="http://www.theory11.com/tricks/
Nov 21, 2009
Sacramento, Cali
Hey guys, I'm a server in a restaurant and have been doing magic for awhile now. I'm looking to start performing for my tables, but I was wondering if anyone had advice on how to let my tables know I do magic. My favorite way to introduce magic when I was working in the bar was to just casually do something visual and act as if it was normal. Any ideas, advice, comments, and maybe even some good books to learn from are much appreciated.

Hey there!!!

I wrote a short essay on being introduced to a table that can be found over at the Magic Session. (It's free, don't worry). :)

It is something I developed and it really has helped out over the years! I hope it may help you out as well!

Mike

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
So will you be serving food and doing magic all in the same work session or magic on some nights and serving on others? That could get kind of hectic.

I know some guys have the little table tent advertising cards on the tables. Others just approach the table with a great opener and jump right into their 3 effect set.

What does your boss want you to do? How are you getting paid? Are you getting paid separately for each service you are providing or is it all on your same check.

These are all things that you should think about.

Apr 2, 2011
Chicago, IL
I have to say, if you're a server, you should probably concentrate on serving. At a minimum, get permission from your boss before you start performing on the job. The manager of the restaurant may not want a table that hasn't been helped looking across the room to see their server performing for another table.

If you are hired by the restaurant to perform, then my above comment is not applicable.

Nov 29, 2010
Well I'm performing magic for the tables I'm waiting on to increase my tips. So my overall goal is to give them the service they need, but the magic is just added entertainment.

Nov 29, 2010
During my interview as a server I showed the manager a trick so he hired me and wants me to wait tables and show MY tables magic as well

Jun 26, 2010
effects wise, a bill in lemon might be a cool little thing, especially if people ask for water with lemon. As long as you don't use the lemon for their drinks after you do the trick.

Nov 29, 2010
Thanks Drew those are some pretty cool ideas, the only effects I know for sure I'm going to do are a sugar packet through table and a version of gadabout coins.

Feb 9, 2008
BUFFALO, NY
Here is a word of caution to you! I have been a waiter at many restaurants. I gave it up to perform full time. I still perform in 7 restaurants each week. Be prepared for the other waiters to be extremely envious of you! You're tips will be bigger but the rest of the staff will grow very jealous. It will happen so be prepared for it!

Nov 29, 2010
thanks for the advice but i talked to the wait staff if i perform for my tables I keep all the tips but ill also perform for their tables and split the tips from the magic 50/50 so they keep the tips from their service but from the magic they keep 50% which allows them to make more and me to make more considering I was only performing for the tables I was originally waiting on. It creates a unique experience for the guest but allows both the magician and the server to prosper from tips that they wouldnt have originally acquired.

Feb 9, 2008
BUFFALO, NY
I'm telling you this through experience as well. I don't know what kind of restaurant you work at but the restaurants I waited at were very busy Fridays and Saturdays. Your performance time will be limited as management wants to "turn and burn" each table as quickly as possible. Be cautious doing magic for tables on these nights because if the manager see's you performing for a table that is done eating when people need to be sat....the end product will not be good! Just a word of advice.

Nov 29, 2010
You have a good point Cypher, I'll keep that in mind. Thank you everyone, you guys have been given a lot of good advice and I appreciate it.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Cypher is exactly correct. When the people are done eating....it is time to turn the table and get them out the door. Not entertain them for the next 15 minutes while people are waiting out at the front. Your opportunity to perform is right after the drinks have been taken before the main dish comes out.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results