Routine Advice And How To Approach Spectators

Sep 12, 2007
Edinburgh, Scotland
Hey all!

You may or may not of seen this thread last week, but i have almost conqured my nerves, and now i just need some advice on how to approch people and my routines. These are my routines:

ROUTINE 1
Start with Distortion
Move onto Bullet
Do Invisible reverse (dump Distortion Gimmick)
The weird card thing from How To Do Street Magic
Finnish with Sloppy Shuffle

Routine 2
Ambitious Card Routine (End with Fallen/ Pop up move)
Stigmata
PLACE TRANSPOSE (a possibility. I came up with it by the way)

Random effect
Witness

So, what do you guys think? Are they to long, not powerful enough ect? I could also do with some advice on how to ask someone if they would like to see a trick. Do you just go up and say "Hey, wanna see a magic trick!?" or something else?

All thanks in advance. And by the way, the party is on Friday or Saturday, so it is quite urgent.

Felix

Feb 25, 2008
Hey all!

You may or may not of seen this thread last week, but i have almost conqured my nerves, and now i just need some advice on how to approch people and my routines. These are my routines:

ROUTINE 1
Start with Distortion
Move onto Bullet
Do Invisible reverse (dump Distortion Gimmick)
The weird card thing from How To Do Street Magic

Routine 2
Stigmata
PLACE TRANSPOSE (a possibility. I came up with it by the way)

Random effect
Witness

So, what do you guys think? Are they to long, not powerful enough ect? I could also do with some advice on how to ask someone if they would like to see a trick. Do you just go up and say "Hey, wanna see a magic trick!?" or something else?

All thanks in advance. And by the way, the party is on Friday or Saturday, so it is quite urgent.

Felix

I would say that is quite long. The first routine seems like it could go for 20 minutes easy.

Feb 23, 2008
hey, i didnt want to start a new thread so i thought id post in here, i was wondering in what order would you do these effects because i may be performing for some classes at school sometime soon well pretty soon because i go on study leave in a few weeks :D

Anyways these are the effects:

Dream Of Aces
X-Marks the Spot - Justin Miller
Panic
ACR
Ace Production (my made up)
Then just some random little effects

Also would you put in a Flourishing 'routine' ? because i do quite a bit of flourishing and would like to be able to 'show it off' if you like.

Thanks.

TKH

Aug 31, 2007
Wisconsin
In response to flixed rock. Work on the flow of your routine, dont just throw random material together. After invisible reverse use the aces, and dont throw a coin in bottle in the middle of a card set.

Oct 26, 2007
toronto
where are you gonna approach spectator? a lot of times you'll get rejected if you just say do you mind i show you something? realize this, the majority of the time the spectator has never seen a magician this close, they don't know how to react. I use to drop a coin, pick the coin up, then ask the prospect if they dropped the coin, if they say yes, i go really? what coin?(sleeve vanish....i don't know what's the proper name) if they say no, o too bad then (sleeve vanish). most of the time they'll look confused. then you can ask, mind if i show you something else? I've never been denied with this.

I think that you should start up with your second strongest effect, if they want more, do the strongest and leave. i use to do tricks, and they kept asking me to keep doing tricks and more tricks, until i ran out, and it's not good, i want to leave on a good note. remember for magic, less is better.

Oct 28, 2007
you should work on your first routine make it flow more because if you break it up with that random bottle trick it will seem a little unorganized. you want things that compliment eachother like after distortion you could do card to pocket and dump it there and go into a sandwitch routine or something.

when ever i go to show someone a trick ill either say hey can i show you something, or hey want to see something. they are both the same things but it usually works. they'll be like what?, or depends, or sure. After that ill explain what i want to show them ill usually say that i got some book on magic for my birthday or Christmas. this kinda sets them up that i am kinda a noob, usually they'll be like ok. but ill only do that if they seem nice enough to watch. if you tell people that who rnt open to magic then they'll be like. no... but usually people are. and when they see a good ambitious card routine then they are like. wow, and figure that im not an amature

Sep 1, 2007
If you're just strolling, I would recommend that you just perform two good effects, at most three. Leave them wanting more. Minimize down-time by structuring your two- (or three-) trick routine so that one thing flows into another.

For instance, do a 4 king production and then do Panic. People really don't like to see you fumbling in your pockets for whatever you need. It looks unprofessional. If you want to do a coin effect after a card effect, maybe try to find a way to magically produce the coins, like with PH's Silver Slide. Or at least just have the coins ready to go. Just don't do an ACR and then try to prepare for CK's Spellbound right then and there.

No down-time does not mean that you should not allow the audience to react. Just don't make them feel as if you're wasting their time.

Sep 4, 2007
Antioch,CA
The link Mitchell gave was a good link.(good link? I don't know what to call that.) After you ask the spec. hey, do you wanna see somin? Spec, "what?" You, "something entertaining." Thats what I WOULD do cause I haven't performed in a LONG TIME. Well, yesterday to these kids at FRYS. And I have 1 question. Do I just walk up to someone while holding a deck? Or ask and THEN take the deck out?

EDIT: 555 post! 555 deal at dominos.

AllanLuu

Banned
Aug 31, 2007
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
When I am creating a routine, I think of it like an essay, there is the introduction, the three body paragraphs then the conclusion.

The introduction of an essay is supose to catch the readers attention, so perform somthing strong like a color changing deck or a vanishing deck routine like Panic.

Thne you have the body paragraphs, hnow if you have a nice long set, maybe perform three tricks that relate to or support what you did as your opening trick. AT this point, I would use my ACR and thats it.

The conclusion, in an essay, you basicly review your introduction, if you want to do that, go into ghost by david stone and if not, go into somthing strong somthing to make them remember you but make sure it has somthing to do with what you opened with.

Like an essay, you want everything to flow, when you write an essay you don't say your going to talk about the French Revolution then start talking about puppies half way through, it makes no sense.

I agree TKH, adding bullet into that, just goes off into another direction. Coin in bottles are great when somone asks you if they can see a trick and you are ready for it. I have never agreed with putting coin tricks and card trick together but some beg to differ.

I wish you the best of luck with your routine and what5 not and hope that this helped you out, it also helped me out to, this was my way of remembering the structure of an essay :p.

Sep 12, 2007
Edinburgh, Scotland
I have done some editing, and i have come to a conclusion. I have got 3 routines, all of them have 3 or less tricks in them. I am quite pleased with them. The reason I Bullet into my first routine, is becuase i can put the deck into my pocket and i can dump the Distortion Gimmick. So yeah, here they are

ROUTINE 1
Start with Distortion
Move onto Bullet

Routine 2
Stigmata
Finnish with invisible reverse

Routine 3
Invisible Reverse
William
Card Thing From HTDSM

Random effect
Witness

What do you guys think?

Felix

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando Fl
YOu should have 2 routines, and didn't you listen to people above? They said that sticking Bullet in there is completely random, or at least put it last or first so that you won't have to go back and forth, and make it make sense in there.

TKH

Aug 31, 2007
Wisconsin
How about Witness, Ambitous, Sloppy shuffle? Continue to use the same card throughout. The one in the bag use for the ambitous card. Then the same for the sloppy shuffle. Get the m to sign it after witness which will subtlely have them remember the card was signed and in the bag.

Dec 14, 2007
Tricks are meaningless.

If you would like help that can be helpful, post your scripts.

what do you say when you approach the group? What do you say while you are performing each trick? How to you move from one trick to another (what do you say)?

Eugene Burger has long held, and I agree, that you can tie almost any series of tricks into a logical routine. The key is your presentation of each, and your transitions between them.

Without your scripts, there is really nothing anyone can comment on.

Brad Henderson

Dec 13, 2007
I have done some editing, and i have come to a conclusion. I have got 3 routines, all of them have 3 or less tricks in them. I am quite pleased with them. The reason I Bullet into my first routine, is becuase i can put the deck into my pocket and i can dump the Distortion Gimmick. So yeah, here they are

ROUTINE 1
Start with Distortion
Move onto Bullet

Routine 2
Stigmata
Finnish with invisible reverse

Routine 3
Invisible Reverse
William
Card Thing From HTDSM

Random effect
Witness

What do you guys think?

Felix

I think the routines are fine but change the order... you need build up... you shouldn't go from a very visual card transposition to a coin penetrating a solid bottle to finding a selection and 4 aces

I would reverse the 1st one, for the 2nd one i would do invisible reverse 1st, then either stigmata or ACR, the 3rd is alright though

TKH

Aug 31, 2007
Wisconsin
youngd in the first one, the sloppy shuffle is a triumph, not an ace production. You are thinking of Invisible Reverse.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results