Routines with no common theme

Nov 1, 2007
A magic routine is typically defined as a performance of effects that have a common element: a coins across, a coin production, and a coin vanish, for example. But what if you wanted to perform a routine with a variety of effects that don't really have a common theme? For example, say you wanted to showcase a lot of different effects: mentalism, coin work, card tricks, levitations, what have you. How do you structure such a thing, and does that defeat the whole purpose of a routine?

What about having the theme lie in the presentation rather than the substance of the tricks? What kinds of things could you do there?

Sean.Cinco

Elite Member
Sep 2, 2007
Orlando, FL
www.seancinco.com
I never was a firm believer that the tricks themselves should have a common theme. I always thought that if the tricks themselves had a common theme, then the routine would be boring. For example, if you take Shoot's coin routine Nerd and ended it with Silver Dream, this is what the spectator will see: Three coins appear one by one, three coins disappear one by one, three coins appear again one by one, and then three coins disappear one by one. Yes both routines themselves are impressive, and yes Silver Dream has to be one of the best (if not THE best) endings for a coin routine, but I think that it would be boring to see the same thing over and over again, especially if you continue on with other coin vanish and production routines. You could have the best patter in the world while doing a series of coin vanishes and productions, but you've got to admit...it's going to get boring. This was also the reason I never liked Spellbound routines. Why does the damn coin have to keep changing from copper to silver and back to copper and back to silver? A bit redundant isn't it? So instead of taking individual tricks that are similar to each other, why not take tricks that are different from each other and give them all a common theme through your presentation?

A really good example of someone who does this is Jeff McBride. I saw his show back in December and he did a number of tricks which aren't related without the presentation (masks, miser's dream, his Chinese coin routine, cups and balls, Abbi's strait jacket escape, his card manipulation routine, a thimble routine, commando act, and some others). But what he added was a story about the different stages of a magician's life along with some magic history of how people performed magic during different periods of time. By doing so, he was able take all those tricks that would be totally unrelated otherwise and make them all part of a big story about how a magician grows throughout his or her life.

Curtis Kam is another magician who is excellent with routining. I've never seen his actual act, but based on the things I've seen him do for laymen at this bar we go to occasionally, he puts together his own routine and adds a story to them. For example, he turned a hanging coins routine into a joke about four guys on an island who find a genie and three of them wish to go home, but one guy says he misses his friends and wishes they were back on the island (this is also a blonde joke). He then proceeded into another routine about how silver rings are made. Sure those two routines aren't really related to each other, but having themes for each routine worked just as well for him. Yes Curtis switched presentation themes while he was performing (other than the fact he used coins in both routines), but by changing it up a little, he was able to give a fresh story to his audience and keep their interest.

So after reading about how Jeff McBride and Curtis Kam theme their routines, you can see how there's different ways to put a theme in a performance. Of course you don't HAVE to theme your routines this way because it may not be your style. Ifyou prefer to have all the tricks themselves to have a common theme, that's OK too. Yeah I said that I never believed in theming based on tricks, but it's just not my personal preference, though it may be yours. Try taking different elements of your tricks and finding a common theme that your tricks may have.

Jan 6, 2008
Seattle
www.darklock.com
What about having the theme lie in the presentation rather than the substance of the tricks? What kinds of things could you do there?

Anything, really. This is exactly what you want to accomplish in your show: creating a common thread so the effects flow into one another. You could do a show where everything was themed around color changes, or temperature effects - using ice and flames in most of the tricks. It's a great platform for political or philosophical speech.

Penn and Teller's flag-burning routine is one of my favorites; fundamentally, it's just a vanish, but the routine around it makes it seem like a much bigger trick than it is.

That's something of a generational gap in modern work; David Blaine and Criss Angel don't really have this kind of theming and planning in their act. The common thread in their act is... them. Here's David Blaine doing this, and now here's David Blaine doing that. I think that leaves their shows missing something.

Jan 11, 2008
New york
Hey SEAN. don't look at spellbound as a trick by its self try taking 3 copper in a cup and one silver coin finger palmed spill out the copper coins and change one to silver and as you put the silver coin back into the cup you shuttle pass the copper back into the cup do this for all 3 copper,changing them all into silver. at the end you tell them how crazy this really is because you only have 3 copper coins and spill out the copper coins out of the cup again. i wish i knew how to post a video i think you would like spellbound after seeing it like this. I love it.

oh and the 3rd coin changes from copper to silver to copper and back to silver before going back into the cup using 3 different types of spellbound. the patter is wrapped around how worthless coins can easily be made more valuable by magic..but thats crazy. what better way to make sense of the change of a coin then to make them more valuable.

p.s is it wrong to map out routines in an open forum? I'm new to having magic friends.

How can i post a video?

Last edited by a moderator:
if you wanna routine but don't want to have a common theme, just jump on every opportunity that you see in your act. see a watch and have a pk ring, stop time, book tests are good. I say go in for some guerrilla magic, <not my term. the more fun you have, the more fun your spectators will have.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results