Royal Road to Creativity

Mar 26, 2009
I decided to create this thread to discuss about creativity...is there a method to be creative? why some have great ideas and i don´t? is creativity something that just happens or we have to force it?

These are some of the most often asked questions about creativity, does exist a defenitive answer?

I will start the thread with a little introduction, and latter on, we (community) will probably be able to answer them if everyone participates!

There comes a time in a magician's life when using tricks invented by other magicians is not enough. The performer may want to create his or her own methods and effects to add to his existing repertoire. On the other hand, too many performers read or purchase a new trick and haphazardly use the patter, presentation and handling described by the author.

Creating a magic effect is a very personal experience; it is similar to driving a car - there are ten different routes to get to the same destination, each route being different. Whatever route you choose you will eventually arrive at the required place, although you will not know if it is the best route until you attempt the others. So if at first you do not succeed in creating original material do not worry, just try taking another route.

Creativity itself is something that is almost impossible to explain, as it is a
subconscious event. There is no right or wrong way of creating new magic effects, I believe that the following quote by Carl R. Rogers explains my point, "The very essence of the creative is its novelty, and hence we have no standard by which to judge it."

First off, welcome to the forum.

In my opinion Creativity and creating an effect are under the umbrella of this word Character. Without a character which in this sense is your car, you can take many routes that your car can’t. In other words without guides, you will not be able to create something that fits your character.

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
Creativity isn't something you can force on yourself. You usually don't need to look for it, because it usually comes to you. This could be different for everybody though.

Some people are creative than others. That's just how it goes. I believe you can be taught to be creative by seeing different things other than the norm.
This is why I like youtube. I see a lot of inspiring performances on there and it gets me thinking of new ideas and concepts.
"I like what he did there, but what if . . ."

Use the TUMBLEWEED METHOD!

1. Think HARD about a really basic trick, like really basic. I'm talking 'This and That' basic, just before you go to sleep.

2. Your brain's gonna process that trick like crazy while you're asleep, and create new ideas and applications for it.

3. You'll wake up at 2am with a really fresh idea in your head.

4. Write it down, then go back to sleep :)

Just posted that in another thread :)

Mar 26, 2009
More thoughts about creativity...

It is necessary to build a strong 'backbone' of magical knowledge if we want to create new magic, this can be gained from reading magic books old and new. There are a few reasons for this, firstly there is the possibility of re-inventing the wheel, there is no feeling worse than inventing an effect and later finding out that someone such as Vernon or Marlo invented it fifty years ago.

Another thing, is being knowledgeable of magic effects and moves for an easier application of methods to your effects, which otherwise may seem impossible. At least if you know a few basic sleights you will be able to utilise them in your idea. An additional reason to be creative is that by studying the work of others you will gain a wider outlook of magic.
Other magicians have inspired many of my tricks; I may take an effect and use a similar method to create a totally new effect or visa versa, using the same effect with a distinct method.

The greatest achievement of learning other people's material is not learning what has already been accomplished but learning how it has been achieved. While reading a book we may stumble across an interesting technique that may inspire the method of a new creation.

As an example, to perform a card location some magicians decide to use key cards, other crimp the selection, some use mathematical principles and some decide to keep the card under their control. Each of the methods can be expanded even further, such as the fact that some people prefer to use a Breather Crimp instead of a Corner Crimp.

I believe that developing a firm groundwork of magic is not necessary, it may even lead to many advantages. The main advantage that comes to mind is that if you do not know a method to secretly reverse the bottom card of the deck you may be possessed to craft your own methods to achieve the feat. This way you will be even more creative as you have now produced an effect and a move.

Feb 16, 2009
South Bend, IN
More thoughts about creativity...

It is necessary to build a strong 'backbone' of magical knowledge if we want to create new magic, this can be gained from reading magic books old and new. There are a few reasons for this, firstly there is the possibility of re-inventing the wheel, there is no feeling worse than inventing an effect and later finding out that someone such as Vernon or Marlo invented it fifty years ago.

Another thing, is being knowledgeable of magic effects and moves for an easier application of methods to your effects, which otherwise may seem impossible. At least if you know a few basic sleights you will be able to utilise them in your idea. An additional reason to be creative is that by studying the work of others you will gain a wider outlook of magic.
Other magicians have inspired many of my tricks; I may take an effect and use a similar method to create a totally new effect or visa versa, using the same effect with a distinct method.

The greatest achievement of learning other people's material is not learning what has already been accomplished but learning how it has been achieved. While reading a book we may stumble across an interesting technique that may inspire the method of a new creation.

As an example, to perform a card location some magicians decide to use key cards, other crimp the selection, some use mathematical principles and some decide to keep the card under their control. Each of the methods can be expanded even further, such as the fact that some people prefer to use a Breather Crimp instead of a Corner Crimp.

I believe that developing a firm groundwork of magic is not necessary, it may even lead to many advantages. The main advantage that comes to mind is that if you do not know a method to secretly reverse the bottom card of the deck you may be possessed to craft your own methods to achieve the feat. This way you will be even more creative as you have now produced an effect and a move.

I believe the highlighted sentence contradicts what you wrote in the rest of your post.

Oct 2, 2008
UK
Jinai.deviantart.com
I had a friend (who was Indian btw) who was playing chinese chess with another one of my friend - now these two guys are from very different cultures to one another and myself, as i was the one who taught them how to play this version of chess.

When they began playing, they had not dared thought about tactics, or different style/approaches to gameplay, or whether they were one or two steps ahead of the other - the only thing they cared about was getting the piece's movement's remembered correctly, and playing them correctly. Once all this had been done, they started playing without guidance, in their own accord, own style, own approach.

Day after day they played, until they slowly began to learn of different tactical techniques used in play, different psychological ploys, alternate endings for the killing blow as they see fit to their character.

Just two days ago when i went to visit this indian friend, he told me how he was playing in a hightened state of mind, one that was pure, undisturbed, natural, unmoving and boundless. He never felt that sensation before, as if he had found his true self, thus taming the monkey mind. He told me that when he played, he could see every move the opposition was to make turns before it was made, he could see clearly the opposition's approach and tactics, and he yielded effortlessly. And normally he is not like that - as every game he plays (with me that is), he gets headaches afterwards, or that his awareness dies down during the course of the game.

Now that was sort of off topic, but the process of creativity, for anything starts off with groundwork. Like that chess player who studied the game, his greatest experience was being able to dance with grace on the battle field he stood. Things like that will come to you in time, they call it artistic moments. And im sure we all had many of those experiences - whether you are thinking of short story concepts, the most desired way to shade a piece of digital art, or even creating magic.

Once the key unlocks, then you'll know.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results