S.W.E shift issue

Jul 6, 2009
Hey guys, I am having a problem on the S.W.E shift. The problem I am having is I can't seem to move my thumb, and pinky out fast enough for the move. I bought the 1o1 and studied it for hours and Chris doesn't go into detail on how to practice the motion..what am I able to do with this? I mean if I angle the deck downwards I can do the move fine, it's just a little awkward seeing a deck that way...can anyone give me advice?

Sep 2, 2007
London
I might be able to help, but I'm not quite clear what your issue is. Can you explain a bit more or, perhaps, post a video?

Jul 6, 2009
In the video Chris exppains that you use your pinky and thumb to drag the top packet off....my hand can't do that really well, in order to do the transposition..I'm having to angle the deck down so I can do the trick somewhat fast

Sep 2, 2007
London
If your problem is speed, then that will come with time and lots of practice. How long have you been working on the move?

There might be one point you're missing, though. The SWE Shift, as with all of Erdnase's shifts, is executed and made quicker by opposing pressure of the packets being suddenly released. In other words, both packets are involved in the action, not just the top one that you pull with your thumb and pinky. At the same time as you're doing that, the lower packet is pushed out from underneath with your left index finger, with your right second, third (and possibly fourth) fingers supporting it at the front. Because both packets are being moved simultaneously, each one only has to move half the distance it would otherwise have to. So, the move can be executed twice as fast. Do you see what I mean?

Maybe re-read the description in Erdnase and see if that helps to give you a different perspective.

Jul 6, 2009
If your problem is speed, then that will come with time and lots of practice. How long have you been working on the move?

There might be one point you're missing, though. The SWE Shift, as with all of Erdnase's shifts, is executed and made quicker by opposing pressure of the packets being suddenly released. In other words, both packets are involved in the action, not just the top one that you pull with your thumb and pinky. At the same time as you're doing that, the lower packet is pushed out from underneath with your left index finger, with your right second, third (and possibly fourth) fingers supporting it at the front. Because both packets are being moved simultaneously, each one only has to move half the distance it would otherwise have to. So, the move can be executed twice as fast. Do you see what I mean?

Maybe re-read the description in Erdnase and see if that helps to give you a different perspective.

Well, the thing is, I am developing the habit of going slowly to do the move, however, I do it faster when I angle the deck downward. But I think of the move as a sideways pass, which leads me to believe that if I can incorporate my own little technique into I can make it usable. But no I do not see what you mean. If you could say take a video and really break the move down for me that would be great, because like I said Chris doesn't really break the move down, like say Jason England does for the pass and double lift.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results