sacrament

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
Looks decent. Don't wave the deck while it's rising though, it detracts from the animation.

What you need to ask yourself is, have you improved on the methods that are already out there? Do you feel like you have added anything at all to the plot? Is it audience tested?

Apr 29, 2012
Thank you for your input. This method is examinable with nothing to palm, hide, or take away. I'm fairly positive this method has never been done to achieve this effect before.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Thank you for your input. This method is examinable with nothing to palm, hide, or take away. I'm fairly positive this method has never been done to achieve this effect before.

Have you done the research? There's a LOT of rising card tricks out there. There was a guy, who's name is escaping me but the Magic Castle has lots of his material in their library vault, who did a half hour or more of only Rising Cards. Doctor something? Can someone help me out here?

Until you've studied the specific effect for some time, I'd hesitate to think it's unique. As Ricky Jay said, there's nothing new under the sun, and the vast majority of tricks invented these days have been in print for a hundred years. 'New' stuff is usually just a variation or reinvention of an older trick or principle.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
I think you're referring to the act John Gaughan purchased some years ago, one of the few animated card acts NOT known to the general community and to my understanding, Johnny was the first to present it in over 40 years. He actually did a short run of shows after installing the thing (it takes a lot of rigging within the room it is performed in)

There is an abundance of methods and not to be overly harsh, you're method seemed a bit questionable. . . you are concealing far too much.

For general working I've used 3 primary variations; the first was a gag more than a trick even though it is a "legit" method from eons past. In this handling the chosen card is worked to the top, you point your index finger at the top edge of the deck and as you move it upward, the card rises up from the pack. . . the knuckle of your pinky finger actually doing the dirty work in that it is pressed up against that top most card.

The other two methods are more mechanical; the ARNE or AMY type gaffed decks, which I absolutely love and from what I've seen, tend to be the most used methods out there when it comes to the strolling magician. The other is the used of a reel such as the Kirkendall Reel, that makes the card raise up out of the deck and float to your awaiting finger-tips. . . I'd think the Spiker & Tarantula gimmicks would give you this same advantage with a hint more control and for a fraction of the cost on a good reel system.

I've only seen the gimmick once and I'm not certain it was ever commercial, but there is a bit using a spring "mouse trap" type device that literally kicks the chose card up and out of the deck spinning. It is built into a section of deck, offers a small flange onto which the chosen card rests (so it won't fit squared into the pack). It's a neat piece that could be replicated with the "invisible rubber bands" that are used in dental work. These aren't the same as the one's we used with folding coins but rather a clear silicon type band that is very hard to see close-up and in a "club" atmosphere. They are thinner than the other bands and quite strong. . . worth looking into. The first set I ever saw came from Tannens magic in NYC.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results