Saturday Night Contest - Faking Odyssey

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
Congrats Justin on the win.

I wasn't able to enter this week because my laptop would not upload any of the footage I shot. And it wouldn't let me on the Internet. Real frustrating.

If I can get it to work, I'll upload what I did

Sep 28, 2016
In light of " the fight against magic exposure", I think at some point all tricks have to be revealed. Magicians had been using the same tricks for over a century, until not that long ago, Val Valentino dedicated a show to revealing these old tricks. What I'm saying is, eventually all tricks must be revealed, all lies must be annihilated. But it so magicians can make new tricks that are better than the one before them, it motivates people to innovate.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
In light of " the fight against magic exposure", I think at some point all tricks have to be revealed. Magicians had been using the same tricks for over a century, until not that long ago, Val Valentino dedicated a show to revealing these old tricks. What I'm saying is, eventually all tricks must be revealed, all lies must be annihilated. But it so magicians can make new tricks that are better than the one before them, it motivates people to innovate.
I'm not sure if Val Valentino is the best source to cite when it comes to 'exposure' because a lot of the methods he 'reveals'' in his specials are bogus.

I disagree. The exposure of methods to the general public should be left up to the creators and publishers that distributed the effect first.

No one has a right to reveal another person's creation without the permission of the creator.

Dec 6, 2015
Canada
Magic is the art of creating wonder. It's not a lie or something wrong that is done just for the amusement of the performer. Like Osterlind says, when you look at a painting like Starry Night, would you say "Oh, it's just tricking you to feel emotion using colour patterns and brush strokes"? You wouldn't, because Van Gogh created his art so that a connection could be made between the painting and his audience.
But that's what revealing magic effects is like. It's reducing a routine to only the sleights and science behind it, removing that connection, removing that feeling of wonder.
Just because something wrong has been done before and will be done in the future doesn't mean we should try and accelerate the process.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results