Saturday Night Contest - First Impression!

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Hey guys, hope everyone is having a great start to the new year! Whenever performing for a new group of people, magicians have to make a great first impression to capture their audience's attention. The opener is a very important part of your routine, and can be the difference in terms of how engaged the audience is with your magic going forward. Openers are usually visual, quick, and a lead-in to the next effect. That's what we're using as inspiration for this week's contest.

The challenge? Create a new opening effect. It can be with anything you like, even cards. We want to see a quick and visual effect that can capture our attention. You can also perform an already existing effect, but put a creative twist on it. We want to see something creative and original that goes with the criteria above. Just make sure the video is 60 seconds or less.

Film and upload the performance of your effect and post it to either YouTube, Vimeo, or Instagram. Then, post the link to your video in response to THIS forum thread by no later than 11:00pm EST tomorrow, Sunday, April 25th. Once time is up, our panel of judges will go through all submissions and decide on the winner based on the criteria listed above.

What can you win? 1,000 Elite Member Points, a deck of Gold Artisans, and either ANY in-stock effect valued at $75 or under OR a 6 Deck bundle of your choice, shipped on the house, anywhere in the world.

We look forward to seeing your new openers. Good luck!

Jan 23, 2021
Just to make sure: Do we have to state / write it on a paper that this trick was created for today‘s SNC?

Hey guys, hope everyone is having a great start to the new year! Whenever performing for a new group of people, magicians have to make a great first impression to capture their audience's attention. The opener is a very important part of your routine, and can be the difference in terms of how engaged the audience is with your magic going forward. Openers are usually visual, quick, and a lead-in to the next effect. That's what we're using as inspiration for this week's contest.

The challenge? Create a new opening effect. It can be with anything you like, even cards. We want to see a quick and visual effect that can capture our attention. You can also perform an already existing effect, but put a creative twist on it. We want to see something creative and original that goes with the criteria above. Just make sure the video is 60 seconds or less.

Film and upload the performance of your effect and post it to either YouTube, Vimeo, or Instagram. Then, post the link to your video in response to THIS forum thread by no later than 11:00pm EST tomorrow, Sunday, April 25th. Once time is up, our panel of judges will go through all submissions and decide on the winner based on the criteria listed above.

What can you win? 1,000 Elite Member Points, a deck of Gold Artisans, and either ANY in-stock effect valued at $75 or under OR a 6 Deck bundle of your choice, shipped on the house, anywhere in the world.

We look forward to seeing your new openers. Good luck!

Sep 1, 2007
Calgary
www.hermitmagic.com
This is a tough one! I gave myself the problem of creating an effect where I’m introducing the deck at the start of a card routine, seated at the table. It’s not the flashiest, but I like some of the visual moments. Trying to fit this all in a minute-long video made me feel a little rushed, and I think that comes across in the pacing.

I’m going to keep working with this effect, to see if I can do it standing/strolling.

cheers,
Scott.

Nov 13, 2019
If its just past a minute, am I allowed to speed up certain sections to get the time down?

Nov 13, 2019

Always wanted to try an opening like this but covid got in the way, it would be interesting to see how the audience react if they even believe me (I came up with the initial idea when I was younger and more innocent).

Its a different presentation on a trick from Daniel Madison if anyone's interested.

Good luck all!

TheChimneySweep

Elite Member
Oct 29, 2018
Germany
www.instagram.com
Hey there everyone,
This is the way i would start my routine, some palm reading some fire and in this case a coin, hope you enjoy it.
Good luck everyone,

P.S. : i did not see at time that the rules of the contest did slightly change to having to state the presentation is made for the contest. On instagram it stays that it was uploaded today, well if it doesnt count hope you enjoy it anyway.
Very nice entrys so far!

Gabriel Z.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
NY
www.youtube.com
Well ,tomorrow marks my 8 year anniversary as being an official member of the Theory11 forums. Thanks for all Theory11. I didn't want to make another thread just for my forumversary so I though I would just post it here some cuts. From the friends and all the opportunities to win prizes whether it be on the holiday wheel or SNC's.... It's been fun so far.

Here are some cuts:

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
So... lets pretend that I am in a nice restaurant and not in my house... eons ago I used to do restaurant magic... so this is a remembrance of those days... where, to introduce myself I pretended to be the manager then I did something to get the audience attention and respect... enjoy the mar-TEA-ni, its on me! ;)

btw the name tag on my shirt is the date of the SNC.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
So... lets pretend that I am in a nice restaurant and not in my house... eons ago I used to do restaurant magic... so this is a remembrance of those days... where, to introduce myself I pretended to be the manager then I did something to get the audience attention and respect... enjoy the mar-TEA-ni, its on me! ;)

btw the name tag on my shirt is the date of the SNC.

Congrats Luis! We have chosen your submission as the winner for this week's contest! Super creative presentation and wonderful performance and execution. Definitely a memorable routine and a perfect introduction as a restaurant magician. Please contact our support team with your details so we can get your prize out to you ASAP!

We'd also like to extend a few honorable mentions to scottbaird and Duo JD for their entries as they made this one super difficult to judge! Two wonderful first impression routines and we thoroughly enjoyed each of them. Well done!

See you all on Saturday for a new contest!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results