Saturday Night Contest - New Year's Resolutions for 2021!

Nov 13, 2019
In 2020 I really focused on getting my current tricks extremely good, and towards the end mixing them with a story, which is want I want to achieve this year. The idea of a story combined with magic is so beautiful in my opinion, and during lockdown there are stories I myself have came across, and I think the whole country has. However, this year I have got my GCSEs (English Test) so unfortunately magic might have take a back-foot, so after my GCSEs I may need to focus on re-gaining the fluency I had before.
Moreover, I also want to expand my cardistry and help grow my Instagram and Tiktok as I miss going out and performing like everyone. My poor invisible deck not being touched for 9 months is a reminder of how little magic I have performed that isn't through a screen, which in my opinion doesn't have quite the same effect.
I hope for all the magicians that this Covid era will be over and we can get back to performing, whether professional, stage or street, this community has stuck together and helped each other through so the sooner this is over the better.
Happy New Year everyone:D

T

T-REX

I NEVER THOUGHT I COULD RIFFLE SHUFFLE CARDS
Due to these strange unpredicted times, I was forced to sit at home. For me a deck of cards was an occasional object to handle, but due to lockdown I started to play traditional card games with my Grandma. And I reached a stage when I realized the true potential of cards. Yes, it wasn't a random YouTube recommendation but just my wish to be able to shuffle cards more fluently, if that's the right word, during games. I started with a normal riffle shuffle tutorial and ended up learning one handed cuts and my first card trick- the Biddle trick. Well it was just a YouTube video but I thought why not try it out, and after showing the trick to my family, their reactions were what encouraged me to learn more. Since then I started to practice and practice, but my repeated 10 grade exams caused me to slow down:(. Then I planned to gather as much information and other stuff I could.
And, finally:), in 2020 I gathered all learning materials and my goal for 2021 is to learn as much as I can, and devote all my time and study all those books I bought.
Over this year, I would like to see myself master the basics of card magic, then dive deep into magic in general and maybe end with the start of something beautiful (Cardistry).

JacobW1194

Elite Member
Jul 7, 2020
This year has been, well, interesting. But, I did find a new hobby.

I started magic this year, mid-May. I practiced for a few weeks, before I had my first performance (it was for my family and some close friends). I did a few self-working tricks, along with some easy sleights (double lift, pinky break, etc.). Everyone loved it, and I realized this was something fun I could do to amaze people, and maybe bring some joy to their day.

A month later, I learned Double Agent by Blaise Serra to challenge myself. It was a doozy, but I got it down after a month of practice. I think getting it down pushed me forward in magic, and encouraged me to continue.

With the trick Quantum, I was able to really melt some minds. I loved showing people this, whether it be over a video, or in person. It was a really big thing for me to get the reactions I was getting out of that trick, and it was really fun.

I got a few new tricks for Christmas this year, so I intend on practicing until I can start performing those.

That leads to my resolution. I want to begin performing in 2021, be it virtual or live. I want to get my magic out there, and show people something I love.

Another way I’d like to show my magic is through making videos. I want to share magic, through both performances and through reviews. I’m also beginning to experiment with photography and cinematography, so I’d love to start expanding what I do along those lines.

I want to begin to share magic with people, by going out on the streets, or on Zoom, or anywhere, really. I want to start performing.

Happy New Year! I hope 2021 brings joy, opportunity, and all things good to everyone!

TheChimneySweep

Elite Member
Oct 29, 2018
Germany
www.instagram.com
Happy new year everyone!!!
One of my new year's resolution is to come out of my rabbithole and participate on a Saturday Night Contest haha. As for the past year well i did find love for coin magic and letet cards a bit on the side. Worked to put up some beauttifull coin routines and startet to read, learn and procure more about this beauttifull art. 2020 brought me as well the first deck of playing cards bought directly from TXI. Magic definetly has kept me brighten me up in those dark days.
Good lucky everyone in the new coming year!

nyersvas

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2009
Hungary
One side of 2020 was about realising how much unfinished stuff (tricks, video concepts) I've "put in my drawer" in the past.
On the other side, many new ideas came to my mind beside the old ones, so I could sort them all out and pick the ones giving the most to my future self.
One of the best moments of 2020 was a pleasant surprise. I've searched materials to make our own close up pads with my friend, found an upholster who helped us to prepare the pads. It was like an "arts and crafts lesson" from my childhood. It brought back many sweet memories and reminded me to appreciate the smallest things in my life.
The accomplishments of 2020 encouraged me to bring to life as many of my ideas as I can in 2021, to make this year my most memorable one.

Furrukh

Elite Member
Jul 24, 2010
Karachi,Pakistan
I have been trying to invent some trick for years, that I could submit to magic websites and somehow be successful in my submission and get that trick selected. But I have never gotten any reply from any website for my submission and I had started to have my doubts if those submissions are even looked into or not, but this year I combined two of my hobbies that is magic and coding and made a trick app and submitted it to E, and to my surprise I got a reply within 48hrs, they wanted to further inquire abt the app. Although it turned out that I reinvented the wheel and a similar app already existed but getting a reply from them on my submission was definitely a magic accomplishment for me

And the goal for me for this year is still the same to get some cool idea for a trick develop it submit it and get it approved by any one of the magic companies

Happy new years to everyone

May 17, 2020
For me 2020 was the year I started magic and cardistry. I started in March because I was just really bored because I had just been let out of school, so I decided to learn something new. When I had been doing magic for around two weeks I discovered cardistry, and kind of fell in love with it. After that, the majority of the time I spent with cards in my hands (which was several hours every day) was spent on cardistry. Overall, in 2020 I learned some magic basics and and a lot of cardistry moves. For magic, my favorite thing I have learned is probably an ACR, and for cardistry it is probably mantra or whiplash.

In 2021, my main magic goal is to start learning some more difficult sleights, starting with the DPS. I tried that earlier this year, but got kind of frustrated with it and decided to learn some easier things first, but hopefully I will be able to get it down this year. For cardistry, I want to learn some more one handed cuts, as these are my favorite. I think I want to start with skirt, or maybe rust.

Happy New Year everyone!

Oct 9, 2015
Colorado
Hey guys, hope everyone is having a great weekend! As 2020 came to a close, we were reminded of everything we have done over the past year and where it has gotten us heading into the new year. It's a year that has certainly not been like any other, but in the bad we can hopefully find some good. It's always exciting to begin a new year, so first and foremost, happy new year from all of us at theory11!

We want to know - in your own words - what you feel you have accomplished over this last year (2020) in magic and / or cardistry. Some of you may have performed your first professional show virtually online, others may have come up with a cool idea or concept that found its way into your repertoire, or maybe you just discovered the art during the pandemic lockdowns and want to share how it's impacted your life. The contest tonight is simple - tell us about it.

In addition, we want to know what your resolutions are for this next year - 2021. What are your goals? What would you like to see yourself accomplish in magic and / or cardistry over the coming year? We want to hear about it!

Because this is a written contest, everyone of you is free to participate. Submissions should be posted as responses to this thread - and all entries must be in by tomorrow, Sunday, January 3rd at 11:00pm EST for judging. We will review the posts and announce the winner (selected at random) once time is up. Note that submissions can vary in length - but are limited to 500 words, maximum.

The winner takes home 1,000 Elite Member Points, a deck of Gold Artisans, and 6 Decks of your choice (they have to currently be in stock).

We look forward to reading through all of your accomplishments, aspirations, thoughts, and goals!

I learned more this year how to do more stuff virtually and how to perform in those restrictions

My 2021 goals are to build more of a social media presence, create more content, and perform more in person post lockdowns.

Jun 8, 2020
In February 2020, I rediscovered a love for magic and started learning basic tricks to perform at school. When the lockdown hit, I started learning whatever I could from a stash of my older brother's magic books. In 2021, I want to broaden my magic horizons to more than just card tricks, as much as I love those. I'd like to actually get decent at cardistry-currently I can sorta do some fans and the werm- and get better at coin and everyday object magic. I'd also like to get to the point where I can perform a show, or at least routine what I know, and maybe start an Instagram.

Wishing everyone a happy, healthy, and productive new year!

Aristotilean

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2018
My resolution is mainly to refine the skills and moves I have already learned. While I have learned a decent amount of sleights over the past year, I want to make sure my fundamentals are as smooth as possible before tackling increasingly difficult material.

I also want to try performing more. I normally (in non-pandemic times) perform a couple of tricks to family and friends in a loose setup. I would like to create a formal routine that includes some sort of narrative that ties a solid 15-20 minutes of tricks together.

lapele

Elite Member
Dec 3, 2018
2020 was quite bad in terms of magic and cardistry for me. I lived in a totally new place for me at beginning of the year and was super busy balancing with very physical job, kids and healthy relationship with my wife. Once we moved back to our home town in July, I had my hands full of stuff from moving across the country. I gotta say though that while me and my family were at the summer cottage, I managed to learn mnemonica quite well. I was kinda surprised how quickly I got it down, since I had tried to learn it earlier. Then it seemed way way harder than this time. Maybe something actually stuck to my memory without me knowing it.

2021 I am enjoying magic more and also having a little bit more time for it. My resolution will be focusing on sleight of hand, especially bottom deal and different types of passes. Of course it is fun to do cardistry and flourishes from time to time so maybe I could start nailing down that Anaconda I've been dabbling with for a while.

Happy New Year everybody!

Teru

Elite Member
Oct 8, 2020
In 2020 I started getting into Cardistry and Magic after I picked up the NPH deck based on a random Instagram suggestion. I thought that doing the puzzle would be a fun quarantine activity, but I didn't realize there was so much else you could do with cards. After a few months of practice I can finally do a small card spring.

This year I hope to continue improving and learning more flourishes to the point I feel comfortable performing in front of others.

DaBomb

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
For me 2020 was mostly the year I FINALLY took the time and dedication to figure out the mecanics behind the pressure fan.
Don't know if it's because of the size of my hands, but i just couldn't do anything close to it while following several different tutorials.
In the end, I tried and failed hundreds of times until i understood by my own how to do it, and it works nothing like any tutorial said !!
For 2021: my goal is to perfect the flourish Under Pressure, because I just think it looks absolutly bad a**!

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
2020 was a wash. The entire year was nothing but staying afloat for me.

2021--three goals:

1. I am going to start the process of constructing a magic trick with the intention of submitting it to Tenyo Magic. My goal is to get this done by the end of January. The hardest part will be hand drawing custom backs for some playing cards.

2. Work on ring magic. I have some Dragonfly Rings. I know there's resources for regular linking rings and Ninja Rings--but next to nothing on Dragonfly Rings except for a couple of routines I have as a DVD and written instructions. I would eventually like to make a tutorial and shoot videos for it, but that's too far ahead. I would like to get good habits in practicing in general and work on something "specialized".

3. For Cardistry, I want to learn one-handed moves that can go "infinite". I need something I can use to fidget, so flourishes that go from a "point A to point End" won't do--like fans or displays.

Most of all, I want to create good practicing habits again.

Sep 3, 2007
France
While i was stuck at home this year I practiced for dozens of hours how to bottom deal. Came out with à method of my own using à left hand straddle grip, which I now think is quite satisfying =)
My goal for 2021 is to master a nice and smooth strike second deal so that i can work on some gambling demonstration routines...

willtupper

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2009
In 2020, I stayed in. Like, you know. Everyone.

Read. A lot. Spent a good chunk of my time diving into the library I've acquired over the years, so many books bought that I thought "Oh, this will be great, once I have the time." Well, 2020 gave me that time. I've deep-dived into magic history, learning a lot that I want to use, and take into performances in the future.

In 2021, assuming (?!?) the world at some point gets back to normal, I want to get a job at a restaurant. There is one in downtown Detroit that I won't say the name of (lest another local magician read this), but I've LONG thought would be perfect for a restaurant magician. They don't take reservations, and we've waited over two hours for a table (they've got a huge, covered "patio" with a bar for wating, which would be perfect for performing), and it's always, always been worth it. The food is SO good. And the wait is SO long.

So, assuming we get back to some semblence of a "normal" world (and I'm not 100% sure we will; this might wind up being my resolution for 2022, too), that would be my goal.

I'd also like to perform/volunteer in one of the many senior centers in my area. That's something Jamie D. Grant wrote about in his wonderful book, The Approach, and a way that would be win/win. I could perform more, and do something good for people who are no doubt at times starved for entertainment.

Apart from that, I'd also just like to take a moment and say "thank you," to the entire community that regularly contributes to these boards. I've learned so much from so many of you, and returning here to regularly "catch up" on magic discussions has been a wonderful "distraction" in a hard year filled with difficult lessons.

I'm truly grateful. Thank you for reading, and I hope all your 2021 goals and ambitions and dreams come true.

Sep 16, 2008
2020 was à lame year for me in every possible ways you could think of... except One. ==> full of courage and will, I finally had the guts to show "something" to my long time crush, as she was always asking me to do à trick for her, which I've always refused so far, fearing to mess it up, look stupid and make a fool of myself... I performed French Kiss by Wayne Houchin to her, and it went just fine, she was speechless...
For this new year I intend to keep working on routines to impress her (a Do As I Do and a Thought Of Card routines) and maybe, maybe keep making my way to her heart...

May 31, 2020
I started magic this past year, during lockdown. I went through all Card College 1 and halfway through the second. Worked on the basis...

This year I intend to keep on with Card College, hopefully progressif without being stuck for to

long, and maybe starting to perform more often with some more advanced tricks..

Mar 28, 2020
Started cardistry in 2020. Fell in love with it by looking at random things on Insta during lockup, out of boredom.
Did lots of research on how to start, got myself The System and à dozen decks of bikes and went for it... I can't say it's easy, by it's darn rewarding once you master a nice looking love at last...

2021 : i'll keep improving with my skills hopefully, really like what The Virts do, probably will try to do some things they pull off, that would be awesome, but maybe it will be more for 2022 or 2023

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results