Saturday Night Contest - Something Unexpected

Aug 31, 2007
I was performing for a large group of people and these two girls wouldn't stop talking so I leaned over and quietly said in their ear "Hey quiet, or i'll stab you two" and I didn't hear them talk ever again.

Just Kidding

Sep 9, 2007
First of all, sorry for my poor english, plus it's kinda late - where I live it's 02:24 right now.

So, last week I was invited to a friend's party at his house. Couple of my good friends showed up but I did not knew most of the people out there.

So we were chilling, talking and since my friends know I do tricks my good friend Monica asked me do I know some new tricks. Accualy I did, I had some cool tricks I was working on recently, but I didn't practised them much. I had quite a long break with cards so I wasn't 100% confident, but when I started with a classic ACR... I realised I was doing some crazy stuff for a good hour! Everything I did was superb! No mess ups at all! Smoothly and slick like never before. All I heard was "nooo way", "woooow" and "that's sick!".

But...

I completely forgot that later that night there was supposed to be a poker game!
It was all good but when the game time came and after everything what I showed to them one guy said "Hell no! After that spooky stuff there's no way you gonna play!". There was no poker for me that night...

Peace and good luck everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 31, 2007
interwebz
Alrighty Then...

Ever day after school I have wrestling practice. School ends at 2 and practice starts at 2:45. (We have to wait for the coach to get there, and we need to get changed and warmed up.) Well last Friday I decided that it would be time to break out the deck of cards again.

I roamed the halls looking for some people to get...I mean perform for. I found the girl's soccer team, they were doing some off-season cardio workouts...or at least getting ready to. I knew a couple of the girls so I went over and struck up a conversation.

I proceeded with a normal ACR, followed by a new ender that I have been working on. They all loved it. I was getting other people who were walking the halls to stop and look on. I had a group of about 20 people.

I was just finishing up and getting ready to go (It was about 2:40 and I still needed to change!) and they kept saying don't go show us some more!

Who can say no?

So I showed them a trick called "I have a Dream" Then went on to do just a simple force then prediction. I held out the deck and said "Tap a Card" to the first girl in front. She tapped it and I looked up.

It was my ex. "awkward silence kicks in"

I said "uhhhh...ummmm"

Then my senses kicked back in and I said "O ok take a look at it...show who-ever you want"

She did...I finished out the trick and things went crazy.

I then got to practice 10 minutes late and had to do 10 suicides.

It was all worth it because we might be hooking up again...and we are definitely hanging out tomorrow. She left me a Myspace message saying that she wanted to hang out on Tuesday.

She texted me the next day saying...and i quote... "....you gotta teach me some tricks ;)" O yeah.

Well thats the story.
The end.

-Brad

Dec 11, 2007
I was performing for a large group of people and these two girls wouldn't stop talking so I leaned over and quietly said in their ear "Hey quiet, or i'll stab you two" and I didn't hear them talk ever again.

Just Kidding

This one will win. It is by far the best.

Dec 17, 2007
Canada
A couple of months ago I was performing for my family. A I did a trick where the delt the four aces. But to perform the trick the deck has to be set up. So i handed the deck to my uncle to deal and he shuffled the deck. So i decided quickly to continue the trick and at the end of it tell everyone it was a joke I just wasted five minutes of your time. So my uncle delt and I turned over the top four card and amazingly it was the for aces. (My theroy for this was that the aces never broke apart a miraculously the travel back to the top.) So that day was my first crash course in crowd control and I went home to re-work my repertoirie and make sure im in control not them.

Oct 9, 2007
This is a short one, but it's short because I acted quickly on it.:D This was also the only time I messed up while performing for people i didn't know.

So I was on this cruise party and it was a nice night out. Most people had a little to drink and it was starting to get dark so i thought maybe I should try some magic here. Now at that point, I have NEVER performed for strangers before, I usually did tricks for friends at school. I pulled out a deck of cards and immediately this woman said "oh are you going to do a trick"? so I did. So I got started with the ACR and about somewhere near the end I couldn't get a good grip of my DL and I actually flipped over 3 cards. At that point I knew that wasn't her card but I acted as if I didn't know why it went wrong. Then I flipped the cards face down and gave it a little rub and just flipped the top card, again acting surprised as if I didn't know what went wrong. But then I said "wait, wait give me one more try okay?" and she said alright. What she didn't know was that when I was talking to her, I got into the perfect setup to do a shapeshifter change. I did the change and she flipped out. Three other people were just as amazed. I let her talk about it for a few minutes and then the conversation got carried into something about David Blaine, but i did not mind at all because after almost messing up while performing for strangers for the first time, I was glad I made it out alright.

Dec 6, 2007
lol

i am a highschool student, so naturally, my magic performances occur at school. i had one of those penguin magic clear super thin loops on my hand and i was performing the trick where the card rises out of the box. I was performing to a crowd of like 6 people in class, 3 girls and 3 boys. I told them to pick a card, and they did, i showed it to them then hooked the loop aroudn the card and put it back in the deck. i continued with my patter, but then one of the guys i knew well was like "ahh your tricks are all BS, so he slapped the entire deck out of my hand. naturally by doing this he broke the loop and i dropped all the ccards, but somehow the card that was picked remained floating in air because the broken loop somhow attached to my sweater, i dont know how but i was wearing a wool sweater. anyway, i then looked at the card and realized it was the card that they had picked so i said "and THAT is your card". Even though it only remained floating for about a second longer, it was long enough for everyone to see that it was the card. Two of the girls started going "F*** F*** F***" and HOLY S***. really loudly and repeatedly. Now this happened in literature class, with my a crabby teacher who was strict on rules. Naturally she heard to girls cursing loudly and i was sent to the office along with 5 of the six people i was performing to. I nearly got a mark on my permanent record for class disruption, but i was glad my vice principal was a good sport and let me off with just a warning, but it was a warning that my parents had to sign, so i got my cards and magix stuff taken away for a month ( i have asian and strict parents). Anyway thats the most messed up experience ive had, but im only a few months into magic so im kinnda looking forward to more in the future =)

hope you enjoyed my expeience =)

-gap123

A performance i had would not be a close up performance, it would be one i had on stage.
I usually always do close up magic but since it was my schools talent show. I decided to do something more stage appropriate. I had this routine set up where i would perform Dream of Aces and have it shown via a projector, then perform a variation of Wayne's Indecent without needing a spectator and having it shown on the projector also. And then to finish the show i had a prop set up where i would do a simple version of a metamorphosis.

During the rehearsals, everything was great and i was completely ready for the show. I often didnt think about what could go wrong because of the fact that i was ready in every aspect... so i thought.

The day of the performance came and one thing went wrong after another. To start, my prop for my metamorphosis was damaged (HOW I HAVE NO IDEA!) and i was forced to make a new prop for it ON THE SPOT (i literally had 3 hours to do this and i was limited, but lucky for me i found some wood in my school and a few other things and made HORRIBLE prop but it was good enough to be used in the show). After that, i didnt realize but one of the props people had accidentally moved my newly horrible metamorphosis gimmick and because they moved it, something i built was moved and depending on where you were in the audience, you could kinda see what was going on. Of course i didnt realize this until after i performed it.

Now the performance came, i was ready and i started to perform.... But little do you know that someone back stage, forgot to switch the right battery into the camara and the camara continued to go off. However i continued to perform while they fixed it because i was being timed and could not stop and wait. So the audience knew that i did my best and clapped when i was done with Dream of Aces... even though some parts were not shown due to the camara.

The judged felt bad and gave me an extra 2 mins... however now the camara was dead because it was the wrong battery, so i stalled and said a few jokes while my friend tried to fix it but he was unable to do so. I didnt know what to do because now if i did my variation of indecent, not everyone could see. WHY I DID THIS I DONT KNOW BUT.... i risked everything and decided to do a REALLY simple and really risky “Think of a number” trick to someone in the audience so that everyone who couldnt see from far, could still hear and know what was going on.... and it worked. I was shocked but i think it was because i gave it my all so there was no way this spectator was going to pick a number i didnt want them to pick!

So that went great, i decided to just go right into my metamorphosis and finish the deal... i went in and did it, my fellow magician who was helping me however messed up the timing. And if any of you know metamorphosis timing is everything. So there is a part in the act where he is standing with the cloth up for A LONG TIME! when that part should have been quick, it just looked bad. And in the end the audience (some of them) saw how it was done because of the props peoples mistake.

I was extremely mad that night, however weeks later, i am extremely happy it happened to me. It showed me something very important. Even if you do everything right, things still go wrong and we should be prepared for them no matter what. When you think your ready, think again because i bet there is something you could have overlooked.
Yesterday i went to my schools auditions for this years talent show and this year im going to make sure that im 110% ready and that i go out there, amaze them, and leave them wanting more.

This is a link to a video some student took and posted on youtube, its only the metamorphosis, but at least you can see part of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8Y3ndXj5ck

Thanks for reading.

Sep 1, 2007
Ok, this is my first Saturday Night Contest entry, so here goes...

I'll start by explaining the who, what and where details.

Who: I was performing for small groups of children.
Where: A local popular restaurant.
What: A standard sponge ball routine. (Kids love those things.)

It was a busy night at the restaurant, and I was going from table to table performing mt standard sets. There were lots of kids there that night, a bit more then normal. Naturally, I had my sponge ball set out and going strong for most of the night.

At one particular table with 3 kids, I went into my routine as usual. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Everyone at the table seemed very entertained, with the kids acting a bit strange.....more on that later.

It being a very busy and somewhat hectic night, I quickly moved to the next table. You guessed it, more kids. So like before I pulled out the sponge balls, and proceeded into my routine. It was at about the moment I was supposed to cause one ball to vanish and appear in my pocket, that I realized I was missing a ball. I could not complete the effect as it was supposed to go. I was stuck.

That is the mistake, the deviation my performance took during my plan.

How did I react? Well, heres where the twist comes in.

Remember the previous table, with the kids acting a bit strange? Here is where they come in. From what I know, they were paying close attention to everything I was doing at my new table, so when I was supposed to produce the ball, and didn't, one of the kids yelled out, "Here it is!", and held the ball in the air. The kids at the table I was at went nuts, it was priceless. I went over and got the ball, and finished the routine. Nothing else I did at that table could top that.

There were a few other tables that saw what happened, and reacted the same way.

Thats it, thats my personal example of what not to do, and what COULD happen if you get lucky.

What did I learn? I learned to pay attention to my props, even more so in a busy environment, and even more so with young children. I got lucky, but I shouldn't ever rely on it happening.

Oct 19, 2007
well this is my story:

Lately iv been preforming at my high school and there weren't really any problems with my performance i usually got the reactions like "wat the ^%5345!!!" and "U demon!" lol this usually made me laugh and made my confidence go over board to the point that i was full of myself so what happened was i went up to a football player with a group of ppl around us and i did some sponge ball routines i did really good till my last trick :(:( this is the bad part i told him to hold one sponge ball in his hand and call out a number 1 - 20 he said "15" then i told him to throw the sponge ball really hard at the floor and wat happened was that there was alot of sponge balls on the floor everyone starting counting them at first everyone thought the was 15 balls, so did I, when i counted them out loud i only counted 14 not 15 i asked him if that was ok that i got close enough and if he would except it he said "yes" i felt shameful even tho everyone liked it and was asking me to do it for them it made me feel stupid bc i dont think anyone here wants to preform a trick u have confidence in and mess up and act all nervous

welll i hope u like my story and best the luck to everyone

ps. heres the link to my vid
http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=2797117

Sep 4, 2007
Antioch,CA
Okay, so I'm in the mall, looking for someone to show a trick to. I see this guy standing out side of a store, shaking a sign for the store. I have a poker chip in my hand and I ask him, "Do you know what this is?" He answers, " A poker chip?" I say, "Yeah, did you know that this can fall up?" He says, "Wait, are you going to do a magic trick on me?" I said, "Yeah." Now here is what went wrong. I didn't catch the chip. In my head I was like, "S@#$T!" Thank god I didn't get more nervous. I said, "Wait." I did it again one more time and I caught it.(it= muscle pass). After that, he was amazed and asked me where I learned it. I said hogwarts. After that performance, I learned that I should practice som more on catching and hopefully, I will catch the chip every time I pop. Thanks for reading! If you read it.:rolleyes::D

Sep 1, 2007
columbus GA
Preformance: Well this happen friday. I was at school and I had some invisible thread and some wax (wich I carry around all the time). I was in math class and I put someIinvisible thread on my pencil. Well like always im not paying attention in class so im doing little levitation with the pencil witch nobody saw I was just thinking of some ideas.

Then my pencil droped on the floor well the thread was still on the pencil I did what most people would do if something was attached to a string is to pull it up. Well that everyone saw it now it was loud in the class room so i do the levitation it goes up into my hand.You can hear the class get real quite. Not noticing the class got quite I raised my hand to ask a question to the teacher and this is what i said" so if you ad x+5............" the teacher was looking like WTF just happend and the class was looking at me in a weird face. Even a sudent said HOLY CRAP like really loud. Knowing that they saw that i did like a whole magic show for the class.
And Another kid asked my and wispered it to me "How in the hell did you do that" I said "dude one way MAGIC He said"OH Im going to try it so hes trying it for hours droping it on the for and trying to get it back up. Later he walk up and say" How did you get so damn magicial"

Reaction: REALLY REALLY FUNNY AND GOOD AT THE SAME TIME THEY REALLY LOVED IT

-Jay.C

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 11, 2007
well this is my story:

Lately iv been preforming at my high school and there weren't really any problems with my performance i usually got the reactions like "wat the ^%5345!!!" and "U demon!" lol this usually made me laugh and made my confidence go over board to the point that i was full of myself so what happened was i went up to a football player with a group of ppl around us and i did some sponge ball routines i did really good till my last trick :(:( this is the bad part i told him to hold one sponge ball in his hand and call out a number 1 - 20 he said "15" then i told him to throw the sponge ball really hard at the floor and wat happened was that there was alot of sponge balls on the floor everyone starting counting them at first everyone thought the was 15 balls, so did I, when i counted them out loud i only counted 14 not 15 i asked him if that was ok that i got close enough and if he would except it he said "yes" i felt shameful even tho everyone liked it and was asking me to do it for them it made me feel stupid bc i dont think anyone here wants to preform a trick u have confidence in and mess up and act all nervous

welll i hope u like my story and best the luck to everyone

ps. heres the link to my vid
http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=2797117

After hearing all this made up crap of cards flying in wine glasses, in side little slits in purses, and other made up crap like that, I loved this one...

It was just what happened, with proof to go with it.

Hope you win,

-Aj

murcuring

hey guys, well, about a month ago I was at school in study hall, and a couple of friends of mine asked for me to do a trick cause they had heard I did magic and had seen me messin' with cards all the time. So actually I was kinda off guard in the sense that my brain had a freeze. After about a minute of chatting Murcuring popped into my head...and oldie but a goodie. And it was kinda odd because one kid was behind my shoulder, and the rest were around me.

So I started the trick, and got all the way to all four cards were turned over (for those of you who are not familiar it's a card turn-over with a killer ending), when the kid behind me said "FREEZE!, i swear you got 6 cards there!." so i was like sweating, and asked him why he thought so etc.....anything to stall. As I was doing this I almost too obviously stole away the starting cards (not the aces), but apparently nobody noticed. I then assumed the same poz. that my hands were generally in...and slowly turned everything over and boy were people surprised... I think he was kinda embarrassed too lol but it was all cool. :)

Sep 1, 2007
San Diego
so, i was difuesing a bomb once on top of a building doing charliers in my other hand.....

but to the real story.....

over the summer was when i REALLY found a passion for magic, my dad AT THE TIME ran an "isold it on ebay" store, and a few blocks down was a magic shop. Grand Magic.

i start going in EVERYDAY over summer, i would just sit there and STARE at everything, the guy let me go behind the counter and show people stuff, demo effects....etc.

then a ting called Crusin grand comes to town, everyone who owns old hot rods comes out and parks there cars and A LOT of people walk down the street and watch, WELL, the magic shop would do street performances outside the shop during these events, and the guy asked me to go out and perform.

MY FIRST TIME street performing, not exactly busking, but close.

i sit my hat, hole down onto the table.
i stop people by shouting at the top of my lungs "MAGIC SHOW, ITS FUN, ITS FREE, ITS MAGIC, GET OVER HERE!!!!"

people start wandering over and stopping in front of my table, im waiting for the crowd to build when some guy asks me "hey kid, are ya going to get started or do a fricken show for us or what?"
OUT OF NOWHERE, IT JUST HITS ME i say to him "no sir, i just wanted everyone together, im just holding these cards cause this is all i have...yes sir, im doing a show."

i start my show, i have someone pick a card, replace it back into the deck. i truly lose it into the deck. i have someone else pick a card...ITS THE SAME CARD. she SCREAMS (both selections were from a ribbon spead) and holds the card high into the air for everyone to see and they start clapping and just "wows" "howd he do thats" were the type of things people were saying.

there was a small kid standing next to me, i look down at him once the clapping stops, i say to him in a voice so everyone can hear "thats why you got to college." everyone starts laughing.

that moment is what defined me as a magician. made me want to continue growing and growing. yes, the story is not that amazing, but it was my first time on the streets, first time gathering a crowd, first time making them laugh.

i learned that if you can take something and make them laugh, itll go off perfectly

Oct 19, 2007
After hearing all this made up crap of cards flying in wine glasses, in side little slits in purses, and other made up crap like that, I loved this one...

It was just what happened, with proof to go with it.

Hope you win,

-Aj

thanx alot i hope i win too :D thanx for the support !

Sep 3, 2007
I don't have any amazing recoveries, or awful failures. But i'll tell you about this one time.

OK, so i was performing a do as i do kinda thing(not at all like do as i do though lol) for my friend. And in the middle of the performance you have to do a pretty bold slight. So i start, and everything is going great. I've done this many times and I'm confident it will work. But when i get to the slight, i see that the guy is burning my hands (not literally), so that if i did anything he would see it.
I think a bit, and then tell him that i need a certain item to complete this effect (which i don't). So i go get it and when he is picking it up i quickly do the dirty work. Everything turned out fine, but I think a little more on every possible situation that can happen.
Not the most exciting story lol, but hope you liked it.

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
i went to work about a week ago to check my schedule and see if any of my friends were working. i get there and one of my co-workers was waiting for a ride with another one keeping me company. Now these two are as mismatched as they come, one is a 5 foot nothing girl who likes to talk a lot and the other is a 6 foot 4 inch, 280 pound 16 year old who is like gentle ben, GIANT AND SCARY looking but a real softy pushover. Anyway i sat down and started talking to them and i guess i didn't notice that i took my cards out (they seem to just spring into my hands) but i took them out and started just messing around, cuts and springing them. well my co-workers asked to see a trick. i started with a simple ACR and then did fallen by Daniel Garcia, my first time performing this for spectators by the way. i followed withThe Queen's off the trilogy. just anything that really popped into my mind. everything was going great better than i expected, the two of them were great spec's, So great actually i decided to try another trick for the first time... so i busted out Control by Mr. Hoochy Woochy himself. i asked the girl the usual questions and set it up perfectly, she began to take my pulse. as i performed i put everything into it, everything Wayne had taught, all my practice and just sold it. as her counting slowed i can hear something else, it was my friend, THE Gentle Giant gasping and his teeth chattering.. as she stopped i hear him let out a little squeak. well he pushed back from the table nearly knocking it over and stood up and just started walking away... litterally freaking out.. it was so hard not to start laughing but i wanted to keep the integrity of the illusion. so i slowly came back out of the "trance" all the while this girl is just staring at me and counting while my giant friend is basically running out of the restaraunt. so i get up slowly and start walking after him. i NEVER EVER expected that kind of reaction, least of all from him. it was amazing and i almost lost if and couldn't finish, but i ended with Control and it was a great performance but i wont forget that reaction and how hard it is to keep performing sometimes.. even now a week later he keeps his distance from me and gives me funny looks as if he expects me to pull my heart out and put it on the table in front of him. lol
and i just wanted to thank Wayne and Daniel for this great effect, it has just made my experience in magic all the more interesting. this is why i got into magic in the first place

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results