Saturday Night Contest - Something Unexpected

After hearing all this made up crap of cards flying in wine glasses, in side little slits in purses, and other made up crap like that, I loved this one...

It was just what happened, with proof to go with it.

Hope you win,

-Aj

I don't think it was reasonable to assume that my story was made up with no supporting evidence whatsoever. I agree the story was a good approach to the contest but I don't think the other comment was necessary.

Trent.

Jan 13, 2008
Great contest.

When I discovered the invisble deck. I thought to myself "This will be the trick I will perform everyday for the rest of my life". And I did, that is until this happened. I was doing the basic "Think of a card, any card then spread to reveal their card" then this girl whips out a deck of her own, the whole deck was bent up in the middle. These cards couldve have been a day under 5 years old. They were kept together via a hairbow. More importantly, these cards were blue, not the same as my red backed invisible deck. So a switch is out of the question. I had just read about being able to Psychologicaly force a card, I had never done it with any card, I had no methods other than the basic idea of it all. So I faked a smile, and took the cards. I did the Braue reversal and took a peek at what card I managed to turn over. 8 of clubs. Dang. The least thought of suit, i cant gesture with eight fingers and look natural, how can I force this card. I cut to get it in the middle. I gave her the deck. And said "Great, now im debating whether or not to do this, I might be to late to get inside the mind and magic window" (some junk i made up on the spot) i then said "Close your eyes, this is where it will get crazy...Think of a card" Now name it out loud..

now it may have been all the 8's i didnt notice till later i had said, great, debate, late....or the unitentional reference to the crazy 8 card game..it might be total luck..but she said 8....of spades.....DANG im close but it might still be impressive since i got the number i said to myself.

She fanned the cards as a looked her inthe eyes to see the reaction..her jaw dropped and she ran outside followed by her friends....

She left her cards and her purse and everything...i thought wow mustve been gullible till i looked over and saw that i hadnt turned over the 8 of clubs, I actually turned OVER THE 8 OF SPADES. It took everything in me to hold it in and play it cool...
By this time shes called her other friends screaming "He did it with my deck!!"...

I learned right then and there possibly the most important lesson in magic- ALWAYS have a backup plan....no matter how good the gimmick or trick is..or how many times youve done it..always have a back up plan and practice it just as much as the trick it backs up.
thanks for reading
-Prince Hidalgo

My story starts a while back. I was performing at a lobsterfest one night at an Irish pub. I was walking around starting to scope the place and was thinking this will be a walk in the park. I totally forgot where I was, and totally forgot how good the Irish are at drinking. I went to one table, had the spectator pick a card. He was totally gone at this point. I asked him to put the card back and was about to control it when he wanted to shuffle the cards. I controlled the card to the bottom before he grabbed them. I couldn't say no to him or else I would look stupid. I ended up bottom palming the card to my pocket and asked him to shuffle. I got this totally awesome idea. I walked away from him and said I had to speak with the person running the night and that it was an emergency. I went back to the table and continued. His card vanished from the deck. He was pretty blown away but wanted me to strip and prove I didn't have it. I turned out my pockets and he was satisfied. I did admit that I didn't know the identity.

I didn't mention where the card was. When I had left i gave it to the operator of the event and had him place the card face down in the lobsters claw, and made 100% sure he got it. When he got his lobster with the card in the claw he lost it. He was yelling so loud it was unreal. People were giving him dirty looks but his table understood why he was so crazy.

That night was so unreal. That was my favouorite performance by far.

Enjoy guys.

Good luck everyone.

Jan 16, 2008
Blop!

Hi
Last year i was in a presentation on a theater (doing Some Card magic)there were about 100 people and i was on the last part of the routine , it was a joke card trick with the jokers, i was supose to thow the deck to the other hand and catch the chosen card..i caught the card but i coudn´t get the deck , it fall and spread all over the floor...then i show the card to the people ,and they said ,no thats not the card....:confused:..i got frozen for a couple of seconds and i said ,ok i tried to ,but i couldn´t ,(so pick up the cards) so which was your card?i doesnt matter any more!!, they said the card , and i said ohh no i even wasn´t close !!!ok but i´ll try to do something nice for you, (there was a man besides me from the public, he had the wrong card in his hand )and i took the card look at it (i made card switch and gave it to him)and said ,Mr please put your hand over the card so i cant get it , and tell me a number betwen 1 -5 , he said 3!!i made a shuffle and count to tree,1...2....3....and i took the card and show it(the car that he soposed to have in his hand)and said , if i have his one here , so what do you have in your hand???and the turn it and said this is my card!!!and show it to the other people!!and they applause!!!...that was a stressing moment but i learn that , they(public) always should think that every "mistake"is part of your act!!a magician never fails!!

Jan 9, 2008
Sacramento
This is a good SNC.

First of all, performance to me is a very personal thing. I feel that having all the new gimicks and stuff is cool, but it is unnecessary. if one can establish a good relationship with the spectators, then real magic is afoot.

I recently found myself lounging with people who i am fond of, along with people who i didn't know, and as i had just performed a show for the school, me and magic were put in the same sentence. "Do something Kevin!" was yelled for about 30 seconds until i oblidged. Someone went to find cards (I carry nothing because i dont like to be seen as one who is always looking for someone to impress. If i carry anything i want it to be invisible: loops, magnet, etc.) cards were found, and I asked someone to pick a card. people were joking, someone yelled, "Name it!"

So i said to stop joking around and then I kind of trailed off because everybody was looking at me in shock. there was some nervous giggling in the back, until everybody started yelling at me and tackleing me into the couch.

I was utterly bewildered at such a reaction. The trick hadnt even started! What happened? I wondered.

after I desentangled myself from the jungle of arms and legs, I saw the card thrown vicariously on the floor. The joker. I smiled.

Perfect.

I learned that the encorporation of chance and even pure luck in my routines can make absolute miracles. The employment of risk is a great factor in performance. Such are the moments we magicians live for. They had picked the card before even giving me the deck, so they each experienced a moment of real magic.

kevin

The story I'm telling occurred right around the the holidays. Now, there was a performance SNC around that time, so this entry will be in a little more detail.

Enjoy!

3 Card Monte Mess-Up

So I'm performing for a wife and a husband. The wife was injured; I believe her leg was hurt in a car crash.

I decide to do the trick "3 Card Monte". I start off fine: The set-up is apparently clean. I start with the secret moves and patter, and immediately the husband starts correcting me by telling me where the cards actually are. Obviously, I know where the cards are, but it's ruining the point of the trick.

I'm cringing inside, but I continue on. Still the husband talks on "no, that card is in the middle". I chuckle, hoping he would stop.

Luckily, the husband never actually got up and forcefully showed where the cards were. It was just a little bit of bad luck. I ended the trick asking the audience what the card, (I don't remember what it was, so we'll say "the ace") was. For the first time, the husband didn't know. I asked the wife and she correctly told me what card it was.

"****", I thought. The card she was saying WAS the secret card, but it had never been shown throughout the show... how could she have known?

I finally convinced her she was wrong, and she told me she had somehow managed to see "the ace" during set-up. So I hadn't done an okay set-up... crap.

Embarrassed, but ready to move on, I revealed the card. As I expected, the reaction wasn't huge; they had already figured out the trick. This was one of my top tricks.

Lesson: I was over-confident that day, thinking I had completely mastered that trick. Well, one thing I learned--I did not, for sure, master 3 card monte!

End of story

Hope you all enjoyed it!

// sky_lark OUT.

PS. Oh yeah, just in time!

Nov 3, 2007
ok heres one

i was doing some basic but awsome card tricks. after a few deacent reactions and a few laughs i had an idea. instead of saving my appearing cane for a manipulation routine, i decided that in my next trick as the laughs settled i would launch off my cane just for kicks.
after the trick while everyone was reacting i reached into my pocket and the lock on the cane unlocked on my jacket pocket and just as i pulled it out of my pocket the cane shot out at the people i was doing the trick for . everyone thought it was part of the trick and got a huge laugh i played it off as if it was supposed to happen. you can imagine how funny this was. im just glad i didnt put someones eye out

Saturday Night Contest

Theory 11,

I would like to share something really unexpected happen in one of my performace.

Last November in my Economic/Government class, I had a big guy in my class that doesn't believes in magic and use to catch me everytime when I do double lifts.

He came up to me and said,"Do you have any more new obvious magic tricks?"

I was thinking this could be the end of my reputation and so I replied,"Yes, well kinda and this trick will not be obvious." Then he smiles and nodded his head a few times.

I was perfoming one of Oz Pearlman classic card magic and I don't remember which one. Catching their selected card between the deck riffle with two jokers.

Just half of the class gathered around me wants to see me perform it to the non-believer of magic. I pulled out two black kings in the beginning of the trick. I ask him to say STOP as I riffle down the deck. He said STOP to where he wanted at. I did Dan's and Dave's double lifts from the middle of the deck and showed it to him on top of the deck. I was surprise that he didn't spot the double lifts, then put the fake selection back into the middle of the deck and leaving the real selection on top.

This is the part where it goes wrong.

I picked up the two black kings and show both sides to show there's absolutely nothing. I put those two on top the selection in the pinky break and all I have to do the sandwich reveal. I have the two kings with the hidden selection in my right hand and the deck in my left, I began to riffle the deck with my left and then pretend to catch his card somewhere between the riffle. Something has unexpected happen, I accidently add three more cards into the sandwich and that wasn't supposed to happen during this trick.

I looked at the sandwich reveal point blank and I remembered thinking like,"I'm totally screwed and this trick is a failure."

Then he asked me,"Did you mess up the trick?"

I replied,"No, let go to the next step shall we."

I continued to moved on to the next step. I pulled four cards being sandwiched among to two kings and I took a peek at the cards. I knew his card is still going to be there. I have 25% of the chance of having him picked his own card and the outcome is really low.

I said,"hmmm....I got four cards here and one of them is yours. Pick one."

He pulled out his finger and move it along the four cards. My heart is beating so fast and my hands becomes so sweaty. Then he said,"This one!"

My mind,"Yes, you did it and you made it a success!"

I was so surprise that he didn't pick the wrong card. I told him to take look at it.

He yelled,"Son of beandip mother-Fritos!"

Everybody in the class laughs and I laughed too.

I learned that making a small mistakes in your performance can happen sometimes and even professional magicians makes mistakes too. If would made the mistake, then I wouldn't blame Oz Pearlman for the mistake.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Theory 11,

I would like to share something really unexpected happen in one of my performace.

Last November in my Economic/Government class, I had a big guy in my class that doesn't believes in magic and use to catch me everytime when I do double lifts.

He came up to me and said,"Do you have any more new obvious magic tirkcs?"

I was thinking this could be the end of my reputation and so I replied,"Yes, well kinda and this trick will not be obvious." Then he smiles and nodded his head a few times.

I was perfoming one of Oz Pearlman classic card magic and I don't remember which one. Catching their selected card between the deck riffle with two jokers.

Just half of the class gathered around me wants to see me perform it to the non-believer of magic. I pulled out two black kings in the beginning of the trick. I ask him to say STOP as I riffle down the deck. He said STOP to where he wanted at. I did Dan's and Dave's double lifts from the middle of the deck and showed it to him on top of the deck. I was surprise that he didn't spot the double lifts, then put the fake selection back into the middle of the deck and leaving the real selection on top.

This is the part where it goes wrong.

I picked up the two black kings and show both sides to show there's absolutely nothing. I put those two on top the selection in the pinky break and all I have to do the sandwich reveal. I have the two kings with the hidden selection in my right hand and the deck in my left, I began to riffle the deck with my left and then pretend to catch his card somewhere between the riffle. Something has unexpected happen, I accidently add three more cards into the sandwich and that wasn't supposed to happen during this trick.

I looked at the sandwich reveal point blank and I remembered thinking like,"I'm totally screwed and this trick is a failure."

Then he asked me,"Did you mess up the trick?"

I replied,"No, let go to the next step shall we."

I continued to moved on to the next step. I pulled four cards being sandwiched among to two kings and I took a peek at the cards. I knew his card is still going to be there. I have 25% of the chance of having him picked his own card and the outcome is really low.

I said,"hmmm....I got four cards here and one of them is yours. Pick one."

He pulled out his finger and move it along the four cards. My heart is beating so fast and my hands becomes so sweaty. Then he said,"This one!"

My mind,"Yes, you did it and you made it a success!"

I was so surprise that he didn't pick the wrong card. I told him to take look at it.

He yelled,"Son of beandip mother-Fritos!"

Everybody in the class laughs and I laughed too.

I learned that making a small mistakes in your performance can happen sometimes and even professional magicians makes mistakes too. If would made the mistake, then I wouldn't blame Oz Pearlman for the mistake.

Sorry man, but the contest closed about 40 minutes ago.

David

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results