Saturday Night Roundtable :: Calen Morelli

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
He came, he saw, he created. In a very short amount of time, Calen Morelli emerged on the scene with a burst of creativity and effect after effect to critical acclaim. His ideas are simple but powerful; his approach is unique and fresh. Last night, we released TRANSIT - Calen's first DVD contribution on theory11, but far from his last.

Tonight is your chance to get inside his head. How does he think? How does he create? How did he enter the headspace, especially at a young age, to accept the challenge of creating ONE new effect EVERY day - and have the resulting content be high-calibre magic? Ask him any question you wish and we will answer as many questions as possible in a podcast to be recorded at 11:00pm EST tonight.

The deadline for questions tonight is 11:00pm EST - so be sure to chime in and participate now to be a part of it. One random member who participates this evening will take home a shiney, new deck of White Centurions, shipped on the house anywhere in the world. Please join me in welcoming Calen to these parts and let's ensure tonight results in an interesting, insightful discussion with content provided by our best and brightest: you.

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
Hey Calen, how challenging was it to come up with a new effect EVERY day? Did you try and switch genres everyday or just let the creative juices flow? Ever hit a dead end and if yes what did you do?

C

Cardmaster211

How did Transit come to mind? And what inspired you to create?

Dec 30, 2008
What trick for you gets the best reactions?

*Who in magic has affected you the most?*

You grew up in the streets of the inner city Sea of Tranquility, how do you feel about the technological generation of magicians?

*If we only get one question*

gio

May 3, 2009
Poland
Hello and greetings from Poland. Ive watched probably all Your videos on Youtube Calen and i wonder:

Why Did You chose Transit to be Your first dvd? is it Your favorite, or You think is the best of Your creations? Couse it looks like You have a lot of good stuff in Your repertoir. :)

Aug 19, 2009
What, besides practicing and performing, is the most important thing for any aspiring magician to do? Find a mentor, choice of material, deciding type of magic to use, etc?

Jan 19, 2010
California
When you do your blog you some how make all of your tricks creative, is there ever a time where you run out of ideas and have to put somthing you don't pesonally like on the site?

Jul 8, 2008
I hate to generalize, but oftentimes Magic is just performed for the sake of showing off. It's not always, but a lot of times. How do you go about making your audience care for Magic and make them want to watch more? Great job with the DVD man!

Aug 14, 2010
Iowa
1) 365 Days of Magic looks like a really ambitious project, and from what I've seen so far, you're off to a great start. Now that you're some 40 days in, are you getting worried that you'll lose your steam, or is it actually getting easier to come up with effects each day?

2) Transit is insane. How did you come up with the effect - were you just playing around one day, or were you inspired by someone else?

3) Kind of a fun one here: what decks of playing cards do you tend to use the most while performing, and does that choice differ from your go-to practice decks?

I like the fact that this effect looks like Sankey's Mercuring, but has the ability to use a borrowed item and done completely impromptu. When you came up with this, did anyone mention the fact that it was similar to Mercuring?

Jan 13, 2008
Hello, and welcome to the T11 team! :)

What was the most important thing that you've learned during your 365 day creativity challenge (so far) that you would like to share with your fellow magicians?

Vorezo

Elite Member
Mar 21, 2009
How fast do you create ideas? Like is it a whole day or minutes of thinking?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
My mom used to tell me there is nothing new under the sun. I didn't really understand this at the time.
But what i think it means is that there is nothing totally original. Every idea stems from another.

How do you think this relates to you, when you were creating new material everyday?
And what do you think is the hardest part about creating it?

Mar 7, 2009
Huntington, WV
1) If you had to choose one other job besides magic, what would it be and why?

2) What is your creative process?

3) What is your favorite style and/or category of magic? Ex: stage,close up

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results