Say What? Part III - Allegory

Sep 1, 2007
Allegory

Using magic as allegory is a tricky but rewarding scripting technique that requires a strong sense of showmanship and a lot of creativity. It’s not enough to say, “The coin represents this, and the bottle represents that.” You have to create meaning.

Allegory is an extremely powerful literary tool that also carries over into the performance arts. Shock rocker Alice Cooper was notorious for his elaborate and theatrical stage shows. At the end of the concert, costumed roadies would restrain him and execute him (all based on illusion technology, fyi) as a morality play. Alice played the boogeyman throughout the concert, and now it was time to face justice.

Heavy metal vocalist King Diamond (of Mercyful Fate and his own solo work) said of Alice that he seemed unreal, a ghostly entity that could only exist on stage and if you touched him he would vanish like a mirage. Obviously he was doing something right.

Here Then There – Using the Jack of Spades and Jack of Hearts, the magician recreates the dramatic ending of A Tale of Two Cities and the decision of Sydney Carton to save the life Charles Darnay. “It is a far, far better thing I do…”

Caleb Strange covers this subject to an extent in his book The Garden of the Strange. Many of the effects are laced with deeper meaning and powerful emotional resonance. This is the great challenge of allegorical scripting, but it also holds incredible potential for a canny and clever showman.

There are many ways to approach this. The morality play is a popular topic, as described above. Most people you meet do want to do good in the world, and they want an affirmation of this. They want to see good prevail and vanquish evil.

There are also cautionary tales. The Greek tragedy, the Neo-Gothic thriller, and other similar stories illustrate the dangers of the dark side of the human condition. These are less popular than 2-dimensional morality plays, but still resonate with a mature crowd that can take in and learn from these works.

The meaning really is completely up to you, but you have to tread a delicate line between being poetic and being preachy. People love to buy, but they hate to be sold. You need a delicate touch, and you need subtlety.

Color Changing Knives – The magician shows a white knife and speaks of a man who was corrupted. The knife turns to black and the blade is rusted and tarnished. A freedom fighter came forward and defeated him, vanquishing his evil. Another white knife is closed in the fist with the black knife and when opened, they’re both white. One of the knives is vanished. “However, he who hunts monsters must be careful that he does not become a monster himself. Is it possible to fight corruption without becoming corrupt?” The audience is left to ponder as the knife changes to black like the first one, then back to white.

The important thing here is that the symbolism of the effect needs to be understated. This works best when you’re subtle. And most importantly, this goes back to the rule of storytelling we discussed in comedy. Don’t spend 99% of the performance talking and then finish with an effect that takes all of 5 seconds. This is why most bizarre magic never gets performed. No one’s going to sit through something like that.

Pacing is key, and you have to practice heavily in order to keep the rhythm. Even if you’ve come to the conclusion that there needs to be a section of talking that goes on a while, find some way to spice it up and integrate the props you’ll be using (if any). Interaction is what moves the story from monologue to actual performance. Not even my incredibly sexy voice can carry a Hamlet soliloquy when I’m supposed to be doing magic. It’s a delicate balancing act that you have to learn through experience.

I totally agree. I also see a lot of debate on "Religion and Magic", I think allegory can help settle the debate. I urge everyone to watch Platoon, directed by Oliver Stone. This film is FILLED with religious allegory. Seriously, there is not one scene that doesn't have a strong religious allegory. Using allegory similar to what you see in movies (you aren't supposed to see it in movies, but you get the point) can help enhance your performance tenfold!

Steerpike, great thread as usual.

Mitchell

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando Fl
So allegory is like a story with the trick, I use that sometimes, but not in the tricks I currently use. Still waiting for friendly approach but I like this too.

Sep 1, 2007
Well allegory isn't ANY story with a trick, it has to be an existing story. Such as a Greek tragedy, or even a sci-fi thriller!

Sort of. It can be an original story, but there has to be a message and a theme. Motif is optional.

The theme is the idea around which the story revolves. A Clockwork Orange was a story about the nature of free will. Oedipus Rex was a cautionary tale of hubris. Rashomon was about the verisimilitude of memory.

The message is essentially what stance the author of the story takes on the theme.

Aug 31, 2007
Sort of. It can be an original story, but there has to be a message and a theme. Motif is optional.

The theme is the idea around which the story revolves. A Clockwork Orange was a story about the nature of free will. Oedipus Rex was a cautionary tale of hubris. Rashomon was about the verisimilitude of memory.

The message is essentially what stance the author of the story takes on the theme.

My AP English teacher would love you man. Great thread by the way. I'll definitely try to incorporate what you discussed in an effect. Thanks for sharing.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results