Scary, But Safe illusions

My friend is a CA here in college (community assistant) and hes going to put on a horror house. not a haunted house. but he wants to make this as creepy, scary, and probably gross haunted house you could go to. So he was talking to me about some ideas and we have a few, but i would love to hear what you would do in my position. I am looking for ideas to make things for the horror house that arnt nessasarly magic, but are very crazy looking illusions. something that is safe and simple enough for most anyone to do.
thanks!
for example. fake guts, cut off heads, broken bones, tourture stuff.
i know this is very controversial, but they are just ideas.

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
false table with a real head and torn up body, dismembered innards and limbs. People approach then the real head starts screaming and stuff. Saw something similar at Darien Lake's Hollow Scream.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
To do a good horror palace one requires tons of cash and a good year or more to pull it together, baring that you can always work with the classics;

• Spidora as your greeter at the entrance
  • The Living Head (on a chair supported by swords)
  • Half Living Torso -- I've had fun with this one by having magic posters and an old sawing cabinet w/o the legs nearby; the girl explaining her previous job with the Great Maxwell...
  • Threads & Darkness -- thread & sting dropped down from the ceiling will feel like spider webbing. This can be great fun, especially if you preface things by showing bugs and creepy crawlies prior to their moving into this area
  • Guillotine -- you actually grab someone out of a group moving through the room and chop their head off
  • Psychic Surgeon -- using a poor-man's version to a Buzz Saw Illusion table you can actually open the gut of a person and pull out entrails, etc.
  • "Shock Seats" -- this is not the traditional electric chair but a poor man's way of getting the better of several people at once using old cell phones or pages units set on vibrate and mounted under the seats of some wooden chairs. You then use patter to suggest the idea of electric shock or ghostly presence, etc.
  • Impaled -- you can make a simple impaled display of a real person with a spear or pointy fence post, etc. piercing their body as they lay haplessly impaled but able to speak... complete with optional geyser of blood.

Most of these can be set-up with limited magic knowledge but should you require some insights for construction feel free to PM me.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results