She Was Like.. And Then I Was Like...

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Hello everyone!!

here is something that happened last saturday...while not funny I didn´t know how to react in the moment...and it´s worth telling...

I had a surprise gig at the last minute, it was a close up show...so it was fairly easy... I went after work to pickup some stuff in my house then I head to the gig...

The gig was great actually... but something weird happened during the gig, since I am promoting my theatre show "Mind Over Matter" I talk about how mind can affect natural laws, matter, minds and energy... while saying the patter of all the routines the audience (around 15 people) where always saying things like "yeah, you are right" or "that´s true" and nodding in approval.. weird huh?

Anyway it turns out that all the audience was composed of psychics, real-life shamans, healers and new age people... and they believe everything I said!!...but that wasnt the thing I wanted to comment and ask you guys what would you have done...

One of the routines was "Out of this world" and you all know how it works... anyway when the girl finish dealing the cards and I reveal that they are separated by colors...I got a great reaction!!..and then it happened...

Me: see how can you overcome great odds, if you just concentrate and feel the cards..
She: no...I heard you telling me which card I should put in where pile... I heard you telling me in whispers...
Me with a face that was the monument of the phrase "what the frick?": what?...
She: Yes!!! you were telling me in a whisper voice!... put this card here, and the other there.... I heard you..
Me still with the face:...

I didn´t know how to react in the moment... what I did is repeat the trick and this time each one of the people where telling me where to put the cards... one by one... at the end I had great reactions!!! and somebody says "I don´t know about you..but I didn´t hear him whisper in my head!!" jejejeje

what do you think? what would you have done?

Nov 26, 2013
Hello everyone!!

here is something that happened last saturday...while not funny I didn´t know how to react in the moment...and it´s worth telling...

I had a surprise gig at the last minute, it was a close up show...so it was fairly easy... I went after work to pickup some stuff in my house then I head to the gig...

The gig was great actually... but something weird happened during the gig, since I am promoting my theatre show "Mind Over Matter" I talk about how mind can affect natural laws, matter, minds and energy... while saying the patter of all the routines the audience (around 15 people) where always saying things like "yeah, you are right" or "that´s true" and nodding in approval.. weird huh?

Anyway it turns out that all the audience was composed of psychics, real-life shamans, healers and new age people... and they believe everything I said!!...but that wasnt the thing I wanted to comment and ask you guys what would you have done...

One of the routines was "Out of this world" and you all know how it works... anyway when the girl finish dealing the cards and I reveal that they are separated by colors...I got a great reaction!!..and then it happened...

Me: see how can you overcome great odds, if you just concentrate and feel the cards..
She: no...I heard you telling me which card I should put in where pile... I heard you telling me in whispers...
Me with a face that was the monument of the phrase "what the frick?": what?...
She: Yes!!! you were telling me in a whisper voice!... put this card here, and the other there.... I heard you..
Me still with the face:...

I didn´t know how to react in the moment... what I did is repeat the trick and this time each one of the people where telling me where to put the cards... one by one... at the end I had great reactions!!! and somebody says "I don´t know about you..but I didn´t hear him whisper in my head!!" jejejeje

what do you think? what would you have done?
I think you handled it very well, cause if that was me I would have freaked out!!!

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
I'd probably just agree and say that I was whispering it in her mind using telepathy and try to leave the event asap. I'd sooner perform for people who are medically crazy than people who choose to be crazy.

Tim H.(4)

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
Kansas City
Well done. Sounds like you handled it nicely. As for your question of "what would I have done"? I've found that those who purport to have psychic powers (which I'll sometimes fish out during an effect's introduction) are the perfect choices for instant stooging. Have never had one ruin what was happening, as they seem to enjoy being able to credit the effect in some part to their "power". To date, I've never had one say "How dare you?! I'm a *real* psychic!" or try to legitimately "divine" anything on their own. Admittedly, this has never been at an actual gathering of professional psychics/whatevers like you were at (you couldn't pay me to be around such a crowd).

Even if I'm doing cards a card set instead of mentalism, I can still nicely fit in instant stooge effects such as that wonderful one by Luke Jermay or, even better, a playing card-based variant I've come up with based upon a fantastic routine in Hector Chadwick's difficult-to-get book (being purposefully non-specific, as we've mentioned a type of method.)

c.t

Apr 17, 2013
Australia
To be honest i wouldve just started laughing like an idiot :D nah i dunno, wouldve just said she heard the whispers in her head and that i didnt say anything.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I'd probably just agree and say that I was whispering it in her mind using telepathy and try to leave the event asap. I'd sooner perform for people who are medically crazy than people who choose to be crazy.

I'm almost impressed with the amount of prejudice you managed to pack into that sentence.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results