Show for school

j.p

Jul 10, 2012
Birmingham
www.twitter.com
Hi Guys,

I have been asked to perform a 15-20 minute show at my school, in front of roughly 250. I am excited because I see this as a good opportunity, but I am really struggling for ideas. I have lots of time to prepare (about 2 or 3 months) but I think it is best to have ideas before so I can get working on them. My friend who also does magic will be helping me.

To be honest, I can only do card magic half decently. I enjoy doing hard stuff such as Tony Chang's sandwiches but I'm sure that we would all agree that this wouldn't fit the situation at all.

So far, I have had a few ideas that I would like some opinions on:

*We start by asking ourselves so what is magic? Is it being able to take a coin and do this? *Muscle Pass*? Or a balloon and do this *Pressure* (But leave the phone in balloon)?

Then possibly do an ACR?
Invisible deck?

To finish I perform the TOXC Force, which basically forces any number on them. The number forced will be my phone number. Somebody phones the number, and my phone, still in the balloon starts ringing.

Then finish with Dresscode?

As you can probably see, I haven't had any experience in this before. Tips and ideas for tricks would be really appreciated. I would like to stay away from card effects a bit because cards are difficult to see. I was told Bill in Kiwi would be a good trick. Is this true?

Thanks guys!

Apr 29, 2012
When I did a show at my school, it was in a close up setting, but for a larger audience you may want to try the hundred dollar billet catch (I think that's what it's called). It kills. I believe you can find it at elmwoodmagic.com.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Ok. . . I'm assuming this is a stage type act scenario and for that reason you will want some sense of variety, not just a load of card tricks. . . however, if you want to be known for your card work, I'd strongly encourage you to learn and close with Sam the Bellhop simply because it's much more than your typical "Pick-a-Card" routine . . . Burgers' Dracula & the Sorority Girls is another that will lend appeal to folks because it's a story type scenario. . . my other favorite when it comes to this kind of thing would be the old Cannibal Card act or a variant to Twisting Aces. . . all using a normal deck. . . depending on the sort of persona you see yourself being, bits like the Sidewalk Shuffle that use large playing cards, might prove to be a decent filler bit. My point with each of these, is to do something other than the Pick-a-Card sort of thing because it gets BORING!

Knowing what effects that would work best for you however, centers on the character and theme of your act more than anything else; creating a "show" does not mean you grab 12 tricks off the shelf and toss them into a pile . . . it means that you find "Material" that will support your stage persona and the vision you have of yourself in the role of showman. While I can go out and do and ok Linking Ring routine it's not who I am, so it doesn't fit; nor do any of the routines I've mentioned unless I'm just hanging around "with the guys" and we're shooting shop.

So start your quest by defining your image; who out there do you best relate to when it comes to style? Are you more like Michael Ammar or Bill Malone or do you see yourself a bit more "out there" sporting eye liner and goth-like clothing? Are you a street smart Hustler ala Harry Anderson or Ricky Jay? A bumbling Boob or smart-arse like Mac King or the Amazing Jonathon? Or do you want to be the leading man styled mage of old like Lance Burton or even the charming cheat himself, Martin Nash?

I've noted in many of my books & articles that the single most important illusion any one of us can master, is the one we build around our self -- our character is the thing that filters the material that will work best for us and our goal(s). Once you know the sort of personage you will be on stage, then you can better decide on which effects will be beast suited to you. Needless to say, the second primary filter in this process will be your skill level, but with 3 months between now and the show case, I'd bet you can polish out your skills in any area you desire to do so with (other than Mentalism, it is a field best left to experienced showmen; get a dozen or so shows under your belt so you're more confident and understand the setting more).

Hope this makes some sense to you

Apr 6, 2011
Lansing, MI
Could you please give me any sort of reference to the TOXC force? Ive never seen that before.

Mr. Browning brings up an excellent point, who you are as a magician really will define your show and what your best able to perform. Ive found the best way to define your self, is to get out and perform. Just a small set of tricks, with simple sleights, performed over and over again will allow you to see what kindve show you best perform.

Your idea of opening with pressure, and then ending with a number force on the phone in the balloon is an excellent one. Great job of synthesizing two effects. I know how difficult that can be when you first develop routines. I also enjoy your idea of doing Dresscode as a closer. Dresscode is simple, impactful, natural magic at its best. No explanation or warning necessary. I think what you do during the middle of your routine is almost equally important however, and you dont seem to have any new ideas on that. Simple card tricks, when having audience members on stage, can definitely play big. I dont recommend an invisible deck however, as that is not a well kept secret from our generation.

The best advice i can give you, is that however it is that you define yourself as a magician and a showman, make sure you do it passionately. Whether your persona is big or small, You should always have passion behind your actions.

j.p

Jul 10, 2012
Birmingham
www.twitter.com
Sorry, I meant the 'TOXIC' force. Francis Menotti taught it at a lecture he recently did at a convention. It uses an iPhone or scientific calculator but only works well with larger numbers. I will message you about it.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Well, if someone else is interested in it, This Is Mentalism is a resource, and it has several other routines that are pretty good.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
TOXIC Calculator Force

A calculator force method was published by David Altman in "Calculator Magic" in the October 1987 issue of M-U-M, p. 26 and as "Nth Degree" in Bascom Jones' Magick No. 447 (1990) page 2234. Bob King published a revised version in a 1989 manuscript titled "Calculation Sensation." Bob was shown the effect by an accountant. Bob's force was given the name TOXIC by Richard Busch. Altman revised his method in "Shadows of David Altman with an Ungimmicked Calculator" in the April 1992 issue of M-U-M, p. 28.

Altman's method is what is used on This is Mentalism and allows you to multiply a series of numbers. King's method is different in that it allows you to multiply, divide, add and subtract numbers. King's method can also be used on an iPhone.

For a great routine, see Marc DiSouza's "Baby Hugh-y" in the September 2010 Genii, p. 22. There are also two good routines, "The Soul in the Machine" and "High Noon"(both using a slightly revised version), in Robert Neale's This is Not a Book (which has a good amount of the history that I've recited above) . The method also is used in "Digital Feedback Extraordinaire" in Osterland's No Camera Tricks DVD and in "Calculated Risk" in Steve Beam's Semi-Automatic Card Tricks, Volume 5.

P.S. The name "TOXIC" is a mnemonic for Bob King's method.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
TOXIC Calculator Force

A calculator force method was published by David Altman in "Calculator Magic" in the October 1987 issue of M-U-M, p. 26 and as "Nth Degree" in Bascom Jones' Magick No. 447 (1990) page 2234. Bob King published a revised version in a 1989 manuscript titled "Calculation Sensation." Bob was shown the effect by an accountant. Bob's force was given the name TOXIC by Richard Busch. Altman revised his method in "Shadows of David Altman with an Ungimmicked Calculator" in the April 1992 issue of M-U-M, p. 28.

Altman's method is what is used on This is Mentalism and allows you to multiply a series of numbers. King's method is different in that it allows you to multiply, divide, add and subtract numbers. King's method can also be used on an iPhone.

For a great routine, see Marc DiSouza's "Baby Hugh-y" in the September 2010 Genii, p. 22. There are also two good routines, "The Soul in the Machine" and "High Noon"(both using a slightly revised version), in Robert Neale's This is Not a Book (which has a good amount of the history that I've recited above) . The method also is used in "Digital Feedback Extraordinaire" in Osterland's No Camera Tricks DVD and in "Calculated Risk" in Steve Beam's Semi-Automatic Card Tricks, Volume 5.

P.S. The name "TOXIC" is a mnemonic for Bob King's method.

. . . Wow! And people call me a walking encyclopedia . . . Wow!

Dec 29, 2011
I quite like the idea of putting the phone in the balloon, leaving it, then the calculator force then you can rip out the phone and answer it. Good idea.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results