Showing Off - Do you?

What is showing off?

Is learning fancy card effects showing off?

Why show off?

Is showing off needed?

Is card flourishing showing off?

Is showing off good or bad?

Well, discuss here about showing off. What do YOU think?

Sep 2, 2007
Showing-off is the process by which one flaunts, displays proudly, acts ostentatiously or pretentiously, according to its foundational definition.

I would not consider flourishing to be showing-off. In my opinion, flourishing is an art, at which one must word hard and practice -- it's a skill, like magic. On the other hand, some consider the display of skill, talent, and art to be showing-off.

I don't think showing-off is necessary; however, one should not necessarily be prevented from showing-off. Sometimes it's considered offensive, as a way of bragging and bringing down others. Conversely, it can serve as aspirational capital, an incentive to step-up one's proverbial game.

Therefore, I think that showing-off can be good and bad, like cake. :)

Cheers,
JTM

Flourishing, like magic, is a form of entertainment and "divertissement" (sorry, I only know the word in French.) I do flourishes with my magic routine to "fill gaps". Many flourishers flourish in their spare time as a way to kill time.

For some reason my English is coming out really badly today...

Mitchell

Honestly, yes I do show off, but not in a bad way.
Whenever I get the chance to do soem magic/flourishes, I seize the moment, and do it. My mom says I show off alot, but I don't think it should be taken as a put-down. Showing off (how I see it) is showing people that you are good at what you do, and are proud that you are good at it. I don't have much to say on this subject, but that's my two cents.

Sep 3, 2007
Canada, Quebec
Flourishing, like magic, is a form of entertainment and "divertissement" (sorry, I only know the word in French.)

Hey Mitchell, you got it right, "divertissement" is actually THE french word for entertainment ;)

---

So yeah, in my opinion, an act is considered showing-off depending on the attitude and the purpose.

Let's say you are performing flourishes to people; and you keep saying with a arrogant tone"see, see? See how good I'm?". THAT should be "showing-off" to me. (But the flourish itself is not a show-off act.)

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
I don't think I show off, but sometimes I perform for a little more than I should, and the few times that has happened, the spectators got bored... fast. But, somethings you have to learn the hard way, right?

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
Are you kidding? With awesome skills that I have, it's hard not to show-off.
Why not show-off? You spend time learning flourishes/tricks. Your not doing this to benefit yourself, if you are your in the wrong business. Why would you learn tricks just to show yourself? You gotta get out there and show other people your talent. Otherwise, you'll be missing out.

-Dan

Oct 11, 2007
sacramento ca
Showing-off is the process by which one flaunts, displays proudly, acts ostentatiously or pretentiously, according to its foundational definition.

I would not consider flourishing to be showing-off. In my opinion, flourishing is an art, at which one must word hard and practice -- it's a skill, like magic. On the other hand, some consider the display of skill, talent, and art to be showing-off.

I don't think showing-off is necessary; however, one should not necessarily be prevented from showing-off. Sometimes it's considered offensive, as a way of bragging and bringing down others. Conversely, it can serve as aspirational capital, an incentive to step-up one's proverbial game.

Therefore, I think that showing-off can be good and bad, like cake. :)

Cheers,
JTM

lol man the end made me blow chocalate milk out of my nose lol [ok i lied about the milk but it was funny]
oh and showing of is awesome as long as its with someone who enjoys watching:p

Sep 1, 2007
Houston TX
i will have to agree with Mitchell
i show off
  1. If people get huge reactions during a trick when i do a flourish
  2. If I already know that people love just watching me "shuffle the cards" in such a cool way
  3. it also kills time if i cant think of any good tricks after half an hour of strait tricks to one group
  4. and sometimes i do it indirectly if i know someone is watching

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results