Signed Cards, T&R, ...

Mar 22, 2013
Munich / Germany
Hey guys,

The last months I thought much about tricks where you have to sign cards (ambitious card), rip cards (T&R), ...
and how to handle this with more expensive cards then normal Bicycles.
Because I perform many tricks, where a card gets signed or ripped I mostly use normal Bikes or Phoenix, because it gets very expensive, when you have to buy, so many Monarchs or so.

So my questions are:

1. Wich deck do you use mostly?
2. Do you perform Signed Card effects, ...?
3. How do you handle this; so that you don't walk around with a deck that has only 30 cards in it, and it still doesn't get too expensive?

Hope you understand what I wanted to say ;)

- Konrad

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
Any trick that I perform that requires messing up my cards I always use regular bicycles. They're cheap and I dont have to worry about anything. I honestly dont think ive ever used a custom deck that I bought off magic sites for signed/rips etc.

If a card is just signed, I usually keep it in the deck and perform regular magic with it, if they happen to choose the signed card, I either explain why or just offer them a different card to choose. If I have to destroy the card in some way and I eventually start running low on cards(deck of 30ish cards or less) I usually will just use that for a different purpose, maybe for a duplicate or practice cards and just get another deck to rip up.

Jeremy Hanrahan

Craftsman, <a href="http://www.theory11.com/gear/h
Sep 1, 2007
Simcoe Ontario Canada
Dai Vernon rarely had a card signed, rather had a card named and then taken out of the deck by the spectator. I have done my ACR hundreds of times and the reactions are the same whether I have the card signed or not. Just my two cents.

Jeremy

Mar 22, 2013
Munich / Germany
Dai Vernon rarely had a card signed, rather had a card named and then taken out of the deck by the spectator. I have done my ACR hundreds of times and the reactions are the same whether I have the card signed or not. Just my two cents.

I will definitely try this out.
Thank you really much!

- Konrad

Jul 13, 2010
1. Wich deck do you use mostly?
If possible, a borrowed deck. This is the cheapest solution ;) No seriously. If possible, use a borrowed deck. Just don`t do any effects with signed, crimped or torned cards.
Otherwise, I only use normal bicycles. I´m not a fan of these new fancy decks.
Another advantage is you will get any kind of gaffed/special cards. The more expensive "special" decks are not designed to satisfy all your needs for special cards. One of the 3 reasons I just don`t use them.

2. Do you perform Signed Card effects, ...?
Yes. Why not. I don`t care about destroying cards. They`re just cards, not a stutus symbol. The focus should be on the magic, not your props.

3. How do you handle this; so that you don't walk around with a deck that has only 30 cards in it, and it still doesn't get too expensive?
- Use cheap bikes. You can get very cheap seconds.
- Instead of signing the cards, use stickers. Thin stickers should do the job well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always do signed card effects. To most people a deck is ruined if a card is signed or missing. People are really shocked when you ask them to write on the card, this really seems to draw people to what you are doing. If someone else happens to see someone signing a card, it's like they already know you are doing magic and people come in to watch. A magician can perform an effect with 3 cards, so why should you care if the deck is missing a few cards? Are you planning to play go fish later?

I normally use bicycles because everyone in the USA considers bicycle to be a normal playing card. Plus the fact they are cheap helps. If I get really low on a deck, I just buy a new deck and use my old deck for dupes, mercury card folds, card burns, or any trick that is destructive. Or they simply become a practice deck.

I'm also saving all my signed cards for some cool artwork pieces, to display at a later date.

Apr 6, 2011
Lansing, MI
My only knock against Vernon's technique, is I have found that my spectators feel a lot more involved personally with whats going on in the effect. It truly becomes "their card" also, I will almost always leave my name and number on the card after I'm done which acts as both an impromtu business card and a great keepsake for them. People WILL hold onto a card they signed, and if your good they will keep the memories too.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results