Smoke question..

Feb 3, 2011
I just recently got smoke by alan rorrison, which is an amazing effect to those who are wondering to purchase it, and my question is would I have any trouble getting the gimmick through airport security? I would hate to have it confiscated.

There is no way in hell, they will probably hold you there. Just imagine tripping the metal detector and then having them search you and eventually cracking open the gimmick and pulling out the you know what. It'll look like some triggering device for a bomb. Hi no fly list!

Sep 27, 2007
Cenozoic, Oligocene
I'm going to have to agree with above.

Might be a tad exaggerated, but it'll cause unneeded delay for a simple procedure. I wouldn't risk it quite honestly, airports are already pretty stressful for other people, why cause the commotion.

Nov 19, 2010
I was able to get through airport security with it. My bag went through and was one of those that had to be hand checked. The guy put it up on the table went through it and pulled out the gimmick. He pulled it out looked at it for about a second and just put it right back in the bag. The bag was my carry on and I had to problem getting it through.

Nov 8, 2009
Ha!, so if it was actually anything malicious, It's well enough disguised.

I think as long as you have it on a carry-on, then, its fine.

Nov 8, 2007
There is no way in hell, they will probably hold you there. Just imagine tripping the metal detector and then having them search you and eventually cracking open the gimmick and pulling out the you know what. It'll look like some triggering device for a bomb. Hi no fly list!
Yikes--Big Brother really has a firm grasp on you. Scary. Luckily, though, you're wrong.

I've gotten my Smoke gimmick through several times. Never worried about it. Twice on international flights as well. Just throw it in your carry-on and you're fine. If you're worried about it, take the casing off so you have two separate pieces. The piece on the inside that makes the gimmick work is a real thing in and of itself that could be demonstrated if need be. People know what they are--it is what it is. Other passengers carry them sometimes I'm sure. And the casing is just a casing--no problem there either.

Again, though, I've always just thrown it in my carry-on in a ziplock bag of other magic items and never had a problem. Never had my bag checked when I had Smoke packed either. Whenever I have had my bag checked and strange magic items have come up, though, I always just tell them I'm a magician and show and explain anything they want to see if they ask. You're not doing anything wrong, and you're not carrying anything against regulations, so don't sweat it and just be honest and forthright about what you're carrying if asked. I always fly stand-by so the only bag I travel with is a carry-on, and I do a lot of flying and have for years, and I've never had any of my magic confiscated.

Enjoy your liberty. It wasn't too long ago many, many people died for it. All we have to do is assert it and maintain it. In fact, it's kind of our duty to. Take your Smoke gimmick wherever you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results