So I was watching Masters of Illusion.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
And the first performer did a quick change routine which was fine up until him and his wife started dancing around on stage for no reason at all. I sitting there like "Ok.. What's the freaking point of dancing around on stage.. Just do the damn effect.." I mean maybe it's because I am tainted by the mind of Darwin Ortiz. But when I see people do things like that for stage magic. It annoys me and possibly bores. Also didn't understand why the audience would applaud when they danced around.. It's not Dancing with the Stars. "We'll, Paul, the routine was decent, but the Dancing was just spectacular.. I nearly cried tears of joy because of the dancing.."

Some of the guys on there are good and some are just too cheesy. Also what's with stage guys trying to dress like Cardini? Seriously it may have worked for him at the time (the 1930's.) but now it just looks silly.

it all comes down to character and market. David and Dania's style is based in ballroom - hence the tuxedo and dancing. Their main market is half time shows where you have to be bright, visual, keep the audiences attention, and make the time go by faster so it doesn't feel like the audience is waiting forever for the game to start back up again and don't forget most of the time there's no microphone available so you have to be silent.

So no its not dancing with the stars but Jeff McBride isn't f'n japanese either but it doesn't stop him from wearing a kimono and kabuki outfits. Same with Ed Alonzo, he's a character based performer and the tuxedo with the goofy hair and creeper shoes works. I've become friends with ed ever since we worked a gig together in greece for like 3 months a few years ago where i got to see him work every night and it was an inspiration to see him work within his character.

Lance Burton is another person who wears tails but he's performing in the classical magician attire and he's "the magician" to see in Las Vegas. James Dimmare is another amazingly talented magician who performs in a style of the 20's ala Fred Astare and if you've ever seen him perform its like goign back in time to see magic performed like you don't see it anymore. Very classy and well done.

I hope this makes sense and helped you understand a little more that its all part of the bigger picture. Sure it may not be for everybody but these guys are the best in the world at what they do for a reason so I think its safe to say trust me they know what they're doing.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Yeah that sort of makes sense. Here's another one. Why did Fox put The Masked Magician RIGHT after a magic show..

One thing I want to see is somebody do the running man or the robot during a show. Yeah I know that'll never happen, but just the thought of it and the image of the audience with pure WTF looks would classic in itself.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results