some help for my story about a magician

Aug 7, 2017
I'm an aspiring writer. I am currently working on a story related to stage magic but I only have limited knowledge in magic. I hope I can get some help from here... Can somebody help me get an idea of a futuristic machine like clone device in prestige or teleportation device or something like that? which is the most difficult and dangerous act in magic?

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Escapes & sword swallowing are probably the most dangerous because they are real.

However, I think the most dangerous effects, and most will agree, are the ones that put the spectators, or someone else, in danger, and thus should not be performed.

Mar 15, 2017
Escapes & sword swallowing are probably the most dangerous because they are real.

However, I think the most dangerous effects, and most will agree, are the ones that put the spectators, or someone else, in danger, and thus should not be performed.
Knife throwing?

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Knife throwing?
Yes. Such Danger. Much Sharp.

To be fair though, they probably wear some sort of armor just in case it misses. Furthermore, if it was going towards the helper/human, the knife probably slipped, meaning that it might not hit them at the point. Still, getting hit in the face with a flying metal object, pointed or not, would probably do some serious damage.

That's probably why most knife throwers use their partner as the target, instead of assistants and volunteers. Also, is knife throwing generally incorporated into a magic routine?

Fire Eating could also be on the list.

Oh, and non-geek geek magic (if that makes any sense).

Mar 15, 2017
I mean...most of the ones that were named were more stunts, rather than magic tricks. I believe Lethal by Bobby Motta (?) incorporates knife throwing.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Most dangerous, The bullet catch
The type David Blaine performed? Yeah, definitely.

The old school bullet catch was dangerous, but not super dangerous (people just managed to mess up and inure themselves. I remember one guy accidentally got shot because the person shooting it forgot to put a blank in).

Jul 26, 2016
I agree that the bullet catch is among the very most dangerous. In fact, David Blaine was injured fairly significantly not that long ago when something went wrong during a real live performance. Also, any trick where someone is confined in a tank with water, with restraints, and must escape. The "Chinese Water Torture Cell" has been widely acclaimed to be the most dangerous of all escapes performed by the King of Escapology, Harry Houdini. David Blaine also did a related version of that trick, but it was more of an endurance challenge than an escape...

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
The type David Blaine performed? Yeah, definitely.

I agree that the bullet catch is among the very most dangerous. In fact, David Blaine was injured fairly significantly not that long ago when something went wrong during a real live performance.

The best evidence that a well presented illusion of danger is more powerful than actual danger.

Can somebody help me get an idea of a futuristic machine like clone device in prestige or teleportation device or something like that? which is the most difficult and dangerous act in magic?

The typical teleportation device involves the magician's assistant or the magician getting into a box of some sort, having something happen to the person in the box and then having the person in the box appear in the audience.

Get a copy of Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic. It will give you an idea of simple methods used for such effects in the stage magic section.

I'd recommend reading two books by Jim Steinmeyer -- Hiding the Elephant and The Last Greatest Magician. Do some internet research on Devant's Mascot Moth routine. To get an idea of various stage magic props, check out osborneillusionsystems.com (which redirects to a website where you can purchase illusion plans and books of plans).

No magician will perform a routine where there is a real danger WHEN THE EFFECT IS PERFORMED CORRECTLY. The danger is merely part of the illusion. For me, the most dangerous illusion is the Spiker. I saw Kalin and Jinger perorm it live and it was amazing.

Jul 1, 2017
I'm an aspiring writer. I am currently working on a story related to stage magic but I only have limited knowledge in magic. I hope I can get some help from here... Can somebody help me get an idea of a futuristic machine like clone device in prestige or teleportation device or something like that? which is the most difficult and dangerous act in magic?

Magicians may use magic to raise awareness for certain charities or just in general stuff. For example I tell the story about a young boy who passed a couple of months back before one of my acts whenever I do that specific act to raise awareness for his past condition / heart disease. But in general ,what everyone else has said is golden. Thank you for taking your time to write about and expand your knowledge about the wonderful art that is, magic

Fire Breathing/ Fire Eating, Sword Swallowing, most geek acts like block head or bed of nails carry some element of danger (and that element increases/decreases depending on the act), certain escapes, juggling chain saws, Roulette style acts, and The Bullet Catch.

I wouldn't worry too much about knife throwing. Even if they miss the chances for something to go hideously wrong is like .01%. The knife usually will bounce off leaving a bump more often than a cut. I mean it's possible to stick someone, but it just doesn't happen as easily as you think it would. Yay physics.

The best evidence that a well presented illusion of danger is more powerful than actual danger.

No magician will perform a routine where there is a real danger WHEN THE EFFECT IS PERFORMED CORRECTLY. The danger is merely part of the illusion. For me, the most dangerous illusion is the Spiker. I saw Kalin and Jinger perorm it live and it was amazing.

Not quite sure if Chung Ling Soo would agree with you on that. Or even Lance Burton. He barely escaped that roller coaster stunt with his life intact. He's even said in interviews post event that it was almost a colossal screw up and that he's lucky to be alive.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results