Something to the beginners.. From a beginner - ACR.

Jun 28, 2010
México
Hi everybody.. Greets from México!

My name is Manuel, (but everybody call me Manny) Im 19 years old.. and well this is my way to introduce me here in the forums.. I start practicing the art of magic like a year and a half ago.. But i've been in love of the art since i was a 7 year-old kid when i have the fortune to see one of the David Copperfield's Tv Specials.

And i want to start this saying something really important.. SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH.. it's more easy for my to talk it than write it.. but i hope you understand everything i write! :)

So.. let's begin.. My.. mmmmm opinion, my essay on the Ambitious Card Routine For beginners. Opinions & tips. I might say that this is only for beginners, but maybe you could use or work in something that's in this thread.

The ACR is one of the greatest magic tricks ever invented, it give you a lot of experience in 2 things: Development of a Routine, and Practice. So you start to have pretty good habits, with this I mean that the ACR put to work your imagination. You'll be like: "Ho i want to start with this movement, and then this.. and for the great final the card inside of a watermelon.. and the script it's going to be about "The haunted card" "A prision break.." "The hungry card" (because it end inside of a watermelon.. :cool:" As many of you have already know.. there's a lot of stuff to make your ACR fun, unique, and amazing. Even with this.. you have to be very careful with the routine and with your imagination, im going to talk deeper about this right ahead.

And it give you a great habit with Practice. You are going to start to have a pretty structurated practice, because you will break every move, slight, routine and so.. But, why? Just because you will need to have a structurated ACR, with a perfect begining and a perfect ending.. and you will practice it like so.. you are going to practice first the way to put the card in the perfect spot for your next move, and then.. the great final..

Here's some tips for the 2 basic topics Im writing about in the thread.

Practice.

(Here im going to use some advice that one member of the forum gave me.. Luis Vega, check him out.. and if ur are from LatinAmerica and dont understand english pretty well.. talk with him [Or with me ;)])

1.- Define a begining.. and an ending: It's simple, you have to make your ACR start with something amazing.. and end with something impossible! And then break all the slights you need..

2.- Practice the move by itself acording to the order of the routine: If you start your routine with a double lift.. practice that one first.. then the pass.. then a control.. a color change.. and so.

3.- Put yourself practice levels: This may be different for one person to other. With this i mean.. that you should first start practicing the moves while you are sit watching tv.. then.. stand up.. then stand up and talk.. then stand up and improvise your routine.. then for a family member or a friend.. But dont force it.. it has to be natural, and only you would have the call to make the right decision about when to move to the next level.

There's the 3 tips i would give you for Practicing.. if you have any other.. or if you dont agree with any.. tell us.. Let us know what would you add.. or take away from the practice.

Routine.

Well like I say.. the ACR have a pretty big range for you to experiment with it.

1.- Define a start and ending: This has to be acording to how impresive the revelation is. I mean.. if you start first with the card in your pocket.. then the popup card.. then the pass.. and then the great final its just a double lift.. It's going to be like being in the middle of a roller coaster.. you have pass throug the impresive loops and falls.. and then you are going to end with no climax.. i mean.. "and for the gran final.. im just going to put the card in the middle of the deck.. and then.. goes back to the top.. amazing right?" It might work with a little of presentation and good performance.. but dont you think that it would be more impresive to make the popup card move.. and the "Card in the middle - Goes back to the top" like an opener for the spectator to see what are you going to show him/her/them?

2.- Try to take the attention of the spectator to several spots: As a beginners, we are learning these slights and moves, so.. there are no pretty good.. we have some mistakes.. and well.. this could be devastating for the routine. Taking away the spectator attention to deck of cards would help you to keep a cold deck. I mean.. If you are always keeping the card rising from the middle to the top of the deck.. and using phrases like "Watch the deck.. Look the card as im putting it in the middle of the deck.. etc" They would be burning your deck and your hands.. because there's where we are telling them to look for.. so if you make a pass.. they dont care if you are trying to misdirect them by watching them in the eyes.. because you have put all the attention to the most important part of the moves and slights THE DECK and your HANDS.

And you might think: "But.. the magic happens in my hands.. its the card rising from the deck that makes this routine amazing" Well my answer would it be.. "Yeah.. but it also is where al the moves and slights happens, and if you have to prepare for one move, well they would see that you took a break from the top card.. ". So move the card around.. put it in your pocket.. your shoe.. under a saltshaker.. i dont know.. look for whatever sorrounds you.. But dont give your deck and your hands to much attention unless you have pretty good slights.

3.- Your script.. has to follow your patter and entire routine: This gives you congruence.. and.. it make the spectators to have something to think about and be amaze about.. let me explain it with an example with the "Prision break routine"

"Look this card.. is the prisioner, you have just marked the prisioner (their signature) for you to be easily to catch if they try to run.. You put him in his celd.. but then.. (the card goes to the top) he go out of his celd.. You. has the security guard.. make sure to put it right in his celd.. (give the card to put it in the middle) but he break out again.. (the card again in the top of the deck..) The prisioner now is mad.. and he is developing a plan for the perfect break.. so.. he....... and then.... he.. learn to hide in the darkness of the prision (make a color change..) and theen he.. later hee..... then he misdirect the other guards by moving some objects.. (you make a pass..) ... and then and then.. etc etc.. for the gran final.. "Well you have just take the prisioner in your own hands.. put him in his celd.. you have win.. buuuut hey maybe sometimes.. a good plan (pull the card out of your pocket, shoe, spectator wallet.. etc etc etc..) can beat.. a very intelligent and well trained security guard.. :cool:"

[If you like this routine.. use it.. i know maybe someone already use it.. if you have something to add.. o you want to experiment with it.. go ahead!]

4.- Dont make the routine too long.. make it concrete! I dont think i need to explain this!

5.- Choose the best routine that fits your style: If you are the kind of guy that likes the magic word.. and then the card pops up.. well then fit that into your routin. But if you are the kind of guy that hates things like that.. well.. dont try to use the "A gambler teach me this slight of hand" routine.. Why?? Because well.. yes you now have less pressure.. because they now that what you are about to show isn't real magic.. but, they will expect some good slights.. you know "The hand is quicker than the eye.." but if a normal persona can see your pass.. they will say = "Hoo! C´mon!! you told us that this was teach to you by a gambler.. but i see the move!". Remember.. if you are reading this.. it's because the thread interest you.. buut you also are a beginner like me.. so.. in my opinion i wouldnt use that routine.. because my moves and slights aren't that good!

That would be my tips for your Routining and Practice.. Also i want you to check some videos for the ACR.. like the one of James Galea in the Ellen Show.. check it.. it's a great example of a great routine.

And well.. i want to know what you think about this.. if you add something else.. is anything help you, or if you change something.. if you dont agree with something.. or i dont know.. just give some feedback! Let me know if you like the thread.. because i've been thinking about other subjects.. like Posting videos when you are a beginner.. some advices for that.. a thing that i've been thinking about.. that many beginners have. The fear to the "Show me something" phrase.. and other subjects.. that can make a good discussion in the forums among the beginners.. and i hope even the experimented magicians give us some advices..

So I say hi with this thread.. and i end it here.. i hope you like it!! Good luck.. Remember.. practice!! That's the way that we, the beginners, have to take to become excellent performers..!

Saludos!

Dec 7, 2009
brownsville
Muy buena explicacion. Sin embargo, te diria que es muy pero muy bueno tener a un mejor amigo o a un familiar que literalmente sepa como haces tu magia. A lo que voy con esto es que tu rutina puede mejorar y asi podrias marcar una mejor impresion en la gente. No tengas miedo a experimentar cosas nuevas :) ! saludos desde tamaulipas ! :)

Now in english hehe..!

Dude great explanation. I would have to say though that it is a huge advantage to have someone close to you that literally tells you "YOU FLASHED". Even for an ACR routine you need a heck of a practice to make a great impresion. I really like your post an dont be afraid of trying new things on every routine doesnt matter how easy it is ...usually the simplest is the most powerfull of all !! :) cheers from mexico !

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Hi Manny,

Great post, and welcome to T11. Glad that you've put in so much detail in a great post.

I agree with most of what's been said, except for one section. So I'll try and point out what I disagree with - but do keep in mind that for the most part, I definitely agree with your advice!

Ok, the part I don't like is this:

1.- Define a start and ending: This has to be acording to how impresive the revelation is. I mean.. if you start first with the card in your pocket.. then the popup card.. then the pass.. and then the great final its just a double lift.. It's going to be like being in the middle of a roller coaster.. you have pass throug the impresive loops and falls.. and then you are going to end with no climax.. i mean.. "and for the gran final.. im just going to put the card in the middle of the deck.. and then.. goes back to the top.. amazing right?" It might work with a little of presentation and good performance.. but dont you think that it would be more impresive to make the popup card move.. and the "Card in the middle - Goes back to the top" like an opener for the spectator to see what are you going to show him/her/them?

No! Not necessarily! My favourite ACR routine I've ever seen is Tony Chang's version. And his climax uses... A double lift.

See, the important point to note is this. The magic isn't in the cards. It's not in your hands. It's in you, your character, and your presentation.

The mistake in your argument here is the implicit assertion that magic is inherently powerful - that some magic is inherently stronger than others - in this case, namely that a Pop-Up Move is inherently stronger than a double lift. And I say that that's absolutely incorrect!

As you mentioned - a double lift with a good presentation can be strong. BUT it isn't strong because it's a double lift - it's strong because of a good presentation! Likewise, a pop up move can be strong - but ONLY if it has a good presentation will it bring you the maximum possible impact.

The reason Tony Chang's ACR is so good is because of his presentation - because of his presentation, the climax makes sense. YES, it's not as visual as a pop-up move. BUT that's exactly the point - in his routine, the fact that you don't see anything is the very point of using a double lift.

A pop up move with no motivation and bad presentation will be weak. A pop up move with motivation and presentation will be strong. It is not the move that is strong, it is the presentation. Magic lies not in the cards, or in the hands, or in the sleights. It lies within the performer.

I think you recognise the role that presentation has to play in magic... But I also think that you underestimate it a little. As you say - a double lift with proper presentation can be strong. But it has nothing to do with what is inherent in the sleight - and EVERYTHING to do with presentation.

Incidentally, I want to agree with your point that you should perform according to your character. I'm a mentalist, and I don't perform sleight of hand. But recently, I was asked to perform an ACR from a friend. My friends know that I began in card magic. When I perform mentalism, my "story" is that I progressed and changed interests - I stopped performing sleight of hand, and progressed onto "real" stuff, facilitated by my psychology major and a few other life changes. So, I treat sleight of hand as almost an inferior way to perform - as "tricks" - which works for me. So when I performed the ACR, I improvised a rough but workable tongue in cheek presentation. "Push that in for me - that's what she said - great, make sure it's in the middle. Now here's the thing. If I flick the pack like this, absolutely nothing happens. Nothing at all - but it looks magical, doesn't it? Meanwhile..." "...Great, push it in again for me - and if I flick the pack like this, what happens? Right! Nothing! Nada, zero, zilch, absol-and oh, lucky me."

EDIT: Oh, to clarify, when I said that I don't perform sleight of hand - I meant that I don't present sleight of hand. Obviously, I use sleight of hand, and am capable of performing it if necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 28, 2010
México
Heey thanks for the comments and opinions!

@sito07!

Si hermano.. de hecho es parte de lo que puse, que bueno despues de practicar pases a enseñarselo a alguien, esa persona sabra como se hace.. y te sabra apoyara diciendote si enseñaste algun movimiento o si se vio como se hace.. aun así tienes que llegar con cierto nivel a enseñarselo.. es como buena presentación.

Ahora en English.. xD

Yes.. i understand what you say.. and i totally agree.. but i think you need to have a good preparation, so you show what you are going to present to the audience.. and then he can tell you if you flash your moves at some point of the routine.

@praetoritevong

Hey thanks for the welcome to the forums!

And yes i totally agree with your opinion, I think that if we as a beginners start showing something like a DOUBLE LIFT with some excellent presentantion and make it more amazing than a pass or any other move.. then we are going to prepare good presentations for every trick that we learn...! and like I say.. we are going to get pretty good habits that will make our routines amazing!

@Luis Vega!

Thanks! :) Gracias we.. aqui seguiremos! Saludos!

Jul 13, 2010
I agree with the presentation.
The climax of each phase occurs in the mind of the audience. The point of view of the magician is secondary.
It doesn´t matter how difficult or easy a sleight is. The effect combined with an interesting presentation is much more important.

The most entertaining ACR I´ve ever seen is Tommy Wonder`s.
He was one of the greatest magicians when it comes to presentation and interaction with the audience. That made his ACR (and all of his other stuff) extraordinary good, not the (difficulty of the) sleights he used.

The greatest 'fail'- ACR I´ve seen was by another well-known magician. I don´t want to call him by name, but it was a 'Hey look how good I´m you can´t catch me'-show.
In my mind it is important an ACR doesn´t dwindle into a 'try to catch me' challenge.

To cause great amusement should be the performer`s ultimate ambition.

Jun 28, 2010
México
@ChrisWiens...

Hey.. yeah! it's what we've been talking.. the presentation of the magician! how you present something to the audiences is the effect that's going to cause in them.

Also I'm not talking about the difficulty of the slights.. I put the example of endind the routine with the pop up move.. I think almost everyone here knows that move. So the simplicity in the move doesnt make it less extraodinary than a pass. What I mean is that.. okai.. you end your routine with a double lift.. but if you can make the pop up card move.. to increase the visual point with the presentation.. well you are going to use a easy slight.. but with much more visual impact.. and plus the presentation, well the end of the routine it's going to be amazing!

:) and I completly agree with you Chris in the "Try to catch me" routine.. the spectator it's going to be challenged.. and not entertained!

Thanks for your opinion! :)

Jul 13, 2010
@Manny
I just want to make clear (my english sucks sorry) that I didn´t disagree with you.
It doesn´t matter how difficult or easy a sleight is. The effect combined with an interesting presentation is much more important.
That was just an universal statement and not connected to your essay ;) Sorry if that was your impression.

Regarding ACR. I think there´s no better routine to learn improvisation, which is called 'jazzing' by some magicians. A beginner should rather do a trained routine, but a proficient performer can learn a lot about reacting and spontaneousness.
Adapting an ACR 'on the fly' to your audiences wishes is a great plus of this routine.
In my opinion the flexibility and versatility is THE reason the ACR is considered one of the greatest classics of all time.
It´s something you can do for a lifetime.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Yes, it's definitely something interesting to do - it reminds me of Derren's Three Card Routine.

Whilst I don't really perform card magic any more, Vernon's Trick that Cannot be Explained, and an impromptu Sam the Bellhop (à la Danny Garcia's performance) are also great improvisational effects. Shuffle a deck, and tell a story with it, one card at a time.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results