Spectators from Behind

Jul 6, 2008
Austria
Hi Guys.

My First Thread! (Besides my Introduction)

Here comes my question.
As a few of you might know, I work in a restaurant environment.

The biggest problems that I have right now are the other visitors, at other tables. Not all of my sleights are angle-proof, and they tend to spectate and look at things from behind, which makes it more difficult to pull off the same or a similar illusion on them. Or they have already seen it and try to figure it out by staring at my hand from all kinds of different angles. You know what I mean.

Usually, when I see people that are spectating from somewhere else, I go to them and tell them politely that I will do it especially for this table a bit later, and ask them not to spoil their own pleasant surprise.

Does anyone have a similar concern? What do you do about it?

Have a great Day.

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
I can relate to your situation, your best bet is to write a routine that isn't so angle-y.

I don't do that much card stuff to be honest, I major in metal bending and mentalism stuff, however there's still angles involved some times. Try bringing your hands below the spectator's shoulder level if there's lots of tables, this way you're using them to block view, but be sure to bring your hands into view when ever you possibly can so that people WILL look at you.

You want people to know you're around and you especially want the management to be able to easily pick you out of the crowd, as I'm sure you already know!

Also look into using your body to obstruct view, I use a few different optical bends in my spoon routine, some of which naturally can be abit sensitive, so I use my free hand to block from one side and the arm holding the spoon to block from that angle so that they can just catch the stem of the spoon moving.

My good friend Erick Castle teaches some great techniques for angle control on his Gallerian Bend DVD. Go check it out!

Hope that helps Pip and welcome to the forums!

D.

Nov 8, 2007
I've done some restaurant work in the past, but when I did I used effects with strong angles, or that are easily to block. If you're exposing effects to everyone behind you, you can't expect them not to watch. Also, magic feeds off curiousity--so asking them to not spoil their own surprise by watching you at other tables, you're pretty much begging them to keep their eyes on you.

In short, you just need to choose material better suited for your environment.

Good Luch & Happy Magic

May 4, 2008
NYC
You should either block the cards from view by maybe bringing them lower so that your body is in the way.

Or you can tell them to come in front of you or else they wont be able to see the trick. I always do this when there are spectators behind me and I have a limited angle. I simply say "Why don't you come right here (in front) so that you get a better view of it?"
Or you can show THEM the trick and be like "Let's try it with you. Come here so I can show you something." and have them move in front of you.

If those don't work, then just do a trick that's angleproof
Hope that helped :D

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results