Spotting the Double Lift

May 23, 2009
romania
Hy, i have a question to ask it s kind of funny but i often have this problem so pls help me:)
When i perform any card trick that involves double lift or triple i often have an spectator sitting next to my side and he sees my break:( and he says it loud that i had 2 cards. How should i do my trick if someone sits and burns me from the break side?:(

Oct 27, 2009
Philippines
I assume this is a street performance, if so, place your hand comfortably beside you, just like you are standing still; if you are sitting down, on your lap.

When you raise your hand to execute the move, then cover it with your right hand while talking.

If his eyes still are darted on the cards and simply covering it using the right hand would not suffice, then try not to have a break before a double lift, or better yet, place the break on the soft part of the base of your thumb, that sometimes work too. If still, this would not work, then do some gestures. :)

Hope that helps.

Sep 6, 2009
I personally prefer using a flesh break with the flesh of the bottom of my thumb, and squeeze the base of my thumb and middle finger together while holding the top left hand corner of the card with the tip of my thumb. I then just dig my pinky into the card so only my nail touches the card, and push the card downwards with my thumb on the middle of the card. This causes the card to slide over my pinky nail and simply turn the card over. To turn the card back face down, just use the natural bend in the card by tilting the deck slightly to the right and recieve it with your right hand

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Couple of things you could do which would all help. Firstly, make sure you're getting your break out of sight. Before performing a double lift, there should be no focus on the deck whatsoever, so no-one should even be looking in that direction. Also, try tilting the deck downwards towards the right (i.e. break facing the ground). Failing that, change to a thumb break (i.e. other side of the deck). Finally, just make sure that your break is as small as possible - i.e. make sure that you're not sticking your entire finger into the deck to keep the break.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
The Push Over Double lift is kind of knacky but if you get it that will help you. I do what Prae does and point the deck down and to the right so that the break is towards the ground just until I go to do the lift.

strike double.
also learn how to push over 2 cards and get a break.
but also you can get a smaller break. using less of your pinky. just the flesh.
you can also do some kind of strike.
if they are on your right. you just use your right hand to cover it. like hold the deck with 2 hands kinda causally and cover the right side when you get the break.
to do this tho, you need to have some kind of action that makes sense in the routine.

Dec 18, 2008
Chicago, IL
Push Off Double Lift

Hello -

To get technical it is called the "Push Off Double Lift" Learning that technique is going to be your best bet because you can do it surrounded with spectators burning your hands. Crash Course 2 has a great lesson on it. It varies slightly from Blaine's push off double lift, which is definately the best I've seen.

If you do not want to learn the PODL, then as stated above tilt your hand down or so the break is facing the ground. Don't make a big deal out of the move or focus on it. It shouldn't be an issue. If it comes up again in a performance just ignore whatever that spectator says. You can also try keeping your specs. in front of you.

Kirby

I'm not a fan of the push-off that's taught on Crash Course 2. It looks too flamboyant and/or awkward pivoting the card off the base of the thumb. With that-- in my opinion, Ellusionist teaches a flawed technique. I don't believe that's the way the sleight should look in performance at all.

As an alternative, I recommend learning the push-off from Hugard and Braue's Expert Card Technique. It's by far the most convincing double lift I've ever seen, however it's one of the most difficult (knacky) sleights to pull-off. I've been practicing it for five years and I still can't achieve it as reliably as I'd prefer. Even Ray Kosby admits it's a challenging sleight. I believe Earl Nelson goes over it in detail in his Lost Tapes set. I personally don't own them, but I've heard rave reviews from proficient cardicians.

I'm personally a fan of Steve Draun's A Heavenly Turnover. It's a reliable rendition of a strike double, but uses body language and timing to make it look and feel very casual and disarming. The natural movement of the sleight gets rid of all the typical tells and giveaways of a standard double lift. There are no breaks and it's practically self-working. I recommend purchasing his book Secrets Draun from the Underground for more information.

RS.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
I don't believe that's the way the sleight should look in performance at all.

RS.

The "sleight" shouldnt be seen at all.

I get what your saying though. I really never looked at all these "methods" of doing a double lift. I mean,jesus, how difficult is the concept of turning two cards over as one? My way of turning over doubles is the same way since ive started performing card tricks. Actually,the way david blaine does. Grabbing the card, flipping it over and showing it. Simply.
And for get readies,I simply push off two cards and hold while im interacting with people. No one is supposed to be looking at the deck at all until you want them to anyway. The get ready is like a second to do(if your slow).

The reason I think so many people get caught is because they simply worry about getting caught too damn much. They look sooo nervous.
And they're usually holding out the deck in front of them and wont stop looking at the cards for even a second.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I prefer Draun's Stud Two-Card Pushoff Lift (phew!) myself, but both are nice no break doubles. I agree with Draun's assessment of the Expert Card Technique lift as somewhat "fanciful" given its difficulty. Not that anyone should be afraid of difficulty, but there is a limit to that.

Nov 3, 2009
strike double lift. no breaks. simple, clean.

takes a lot of practice but its soooo worth it. no need to worry about other double lifts.

Ashrei

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
to avoid being caught with break, all you really need to do (if you are sitting down and you are surrounded) is to tilt your hand in a manner that break is facing the table/ground. Unless people are looking down from the bottom, it will be far more angle friendly.

Dec 7, 2008
UK, Birmingham
crowd control. u put ur self or the people in a place u want them. or do it without the break

also with crowd control i can hold a break right in front of a persons face and they dont see as they look at what i want them to. turn the cards when talking or something like an inbetween part after an effect, or at least give that feel. that u have relaxed and stop the magic for a second

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results