Stage Magic

Feb 8, 2008
Ok, so I'm the guy that performed Angle Zero on stage a week back and I just wanted to thank everyone for helping me out with the presentation and tips. It went so great that I want to continue doing it either tri-weekly or monthly. The plan is to do some kind of one-effect performance each time. I have my plan for the next performance, but after that, well... lets just say I am creatively bankrupt for ideas. My specialty (just like everyone else, lol) is card magic. And I am also low on budget, so I can't really spend money periodically to keep getting new effects suitable for stage. So now, I come before you, the magic community of theory11 and am asking for help on ideas for effects that I could perform - some that I could do without bankrupting the national bank of, um... me.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Look, I'm going to try to be as nice as possible, but also as blunt as possible:

You should not have agreed to do this if you didn't already have the shows planned. That's the second time I've said that within the last 24 hours...

Sep 1, 2007
Look, this isn't something we can really help you with. If you have a month to plan for one trick to do for a congregation, it's easier. But you need to be creative on your own.

What do you already have?

I agree Adjones,

Many (note: I am assuming as of after this parenthesis, any misconception or fact that I didn't know are apoligized for, magicbysage please correct anything in a response; second note I am out of context but the comments are addressed to you magicbysage) people are going a bit above what they should be doing, if you have the expierience to do stage (as a planned performance) you should have enough material on hand/ready to perform to do so. You should take time (years) to practice as we all are doing (addressing to the less expierienced/beginners) to hone your abilities until you have a bunch of material perfected and expierience (social skills, prepared for being on stage) before you actually go up and perform regularly.

Don't get caught unprepared, BE prepared.

~PaCo

Feb 8, 2008
Well, I have been doing magic for about two years lightly and in the past year and a half I've been really going into it. I've already done a couple of stroll-around gigs and various other performances that were scheduled before-hand. It's not like I don't have any experience with performing and getting myself out there. I have already performed on stage, but here's the thing: I have about a month in advance to prepare for each effect I'm going to do. Since these stage shows are just one-effect, ten-minute performances, I won't need a bunch of stuff to do. And how do you suggest, adjones, that I am to know what I'm doing for many future performances? How does anyone get into any area of magic without first plunging head-first into it? I have agreed to do this, and I don't think you're right in assuming that someone should have everything planned out for the future as you have suggested. I have a general guideline and approach to the distant future and what I want to do, but I just need some extra ideas.

Sep 1, 2007
And how do you suggest, adjones, that I am to know what I'm doing for many future performances? How does anyone get into any area of magic without first plunging head-first into it? I have agreed to do this, and I don't think you're right in assuming that someone should have everything planned out for the future as you have suggested. I have a general guideline and approach to the distant future and what I want to do, but I just need some extra ideas.

What he is saying is that you shouldn't book a show unless you have already scripted and rehearsed the routine.

Feb 8, 2008
I didn't just book one performance, though. I do have my next performance almost completely scripted and planned out, but there's no way I can plan and rehearse performances that are going to continue indefinitely and monthly.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
I didn't just book one performance, though. I do have my next performance almost completely scripted and planned out, but there's no way I can plan and rehearse performances that are going to continue indefinitely and monthly.

So why take the gig? :rolleyes:

Sep 1, 2007
I might be missing something here but are there gonna be the same people at each performance. If not, why do you have to do something different each time? I don't think stage magicians do that in a complete show unless its the same group of people every time.

Feb 8, 2008
Ugh, I'm not gonna defend my reasons for taking the gig. Obviously, no one's gonna help me, but yeah, I'm performing for the same people each time.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
sorry :(
I feel bad, I get it now though :D you live u learn...

I'm glad you realized what you did wrong, and are learning from your mistakes. The way I look at it, is that I would rather turn down a show now, and have a few people disappointed, then absolutely blow them away a few months or even a year later with an awesome show, than take the show, and completely ruin it- along with my reputation. Know what I mean?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results