Starting a Magic Society at the University of Western Ontario

Jul 2, 2008
London, Ontario
Hello everyone, it's been a while since my last post asking about magicians in the London area (Ontario). I wanted to let you know that me and 2 other students from the UWO will be starting a magic club this year and we are looking for other people to join us. If you attend Western, Fanshawe or any of the other affiliated colleges, send me a PM and I'll give you more details on when/where we meeting.

Edit: Even if you aren't a student at the university/colleges feel free to send a PM.

P.S - I'll probably bump this post a few times this week to get the word out.

Jan 13, 2008
Are you allowed to form a club this late in the year, or are you going about it without financial assistance (and therefore, technically not a formal club) from the USC (or whoever funds it)?

Either way, I'm in. :)

Edit: Also, what will go on in the club meetings? Will it essentially be another IBM/CAM type of thing? And are there plans to bring in guest lecturers? Please, do explain more on here, so people can make an informed decision. Thanks. :)

Jan 13, 2008
Clubs can be formed at anytime during year provided that there are 15 people ready to join the moment the club is ratified by the USC.
Ahh, that's excellent to hear.

On a side note, will you be around next year, too? New clubs seem to fizzle away into nothingness when their creators don't follow them up for a few years (or when there isn't another person who is at least equally as motivated to keep the club going to take over), and I wouldn't mind being in the club again next year (if it goes over well, seems interesting, etc).

Also, I'm curious, how else are you going about recruiting members? You may want to shoot The Gazette an email, to reach the student body at large, just in case there's some other magicians on campus that you don't know about (i.e., me, up until now). :)

Jul 2, 2008
London, Ontario
This is my first year of University so I'll be here for at least 3 more years after this one so there shouldn't be any issues with this thing fizzling out anytime soon. I've been in contact with the gazette and they said they could post an add for me in the paper when I was ready to do this.

Jan 13, 2008
This is my first year of University so I'll be here for at least 3 more years after this one so there shouldn't be any issues with this thing fizzling out anytime soon. I've been in contact with the gazette and they said they could post an add for me in the paper when I was ready to do this.
Ahh, that is excellent news. It's nice to see that you're on top of things--that alone sells me on the idea. Just let me know when the meetings will be (and when they'll start), and I'll be there! :)

Jul 2, 2008
London, Ontario
meh. against the idea of a magic club. it takes away from the magic experienced by spectators. from "ooooh youre good" to "oh, youre from that magic club. cool."

I don't understand how it would take magic away from spectators. A magicians ability to perform in front of a crowd isn't based on what organizations he/she belongs to; but rather, his/her ability to control a crowd and present an effect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 13, 2008
I don't understand how it would take magic away from spectators. A magicians ability to perform in front of a crowd isn't based on what organizations he/she belongs to; but rather, his/her ability to control a crowd and present an effect.
Agreed. That's like saying listing belonging to the IBM or CAM or whatever on your "resume" (or website, or promotional package, etc) hurts your credentials. As would listing any magic awards you've won.

Have you seen the promotional packages of some of the artists here? I've seen Dan Sperry's (it's on Youtube), and he lists his credentials (or at least briefly mentions them)...doesn't seem to be hurting his career at all. o_O

Jul 2, 2008
London, Ontario
Bump to the top :)

Edit: Sorry, didn't know, just trying to get the word out to as many people as I can. Probably will do this only once.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 3, 2008
Singapore
www.youtube.com
sure, joining an IBM ring can help with a resume, but when you think about a school campus, theres a totally different mindset. there IS an effect on the spectators.
To us, a magic club might just be a place where we all gather and jam, but to the lay person, its a place where people come and learn magic.

Magic then becomes less mysterious and more of a "that-thing-from-that-club."

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results