Static - Joel Paschall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Static by Joel Paschall

The Official Spam-

Static is a flowing cut that is surprisingly deceptive. Smooth and fluid, several packets move and rotate off the fingers yet the deck retains it's complete original order - Static is completely false. This has been a signature cut of Joel's and looks just as impressive when done slow as it does when performed fast.

The Video-

The quality of the 1on1, as usual for theory11, was great. I could see everything that was going on as if I was there. At first the video was a bit jumpy, but like always, it was probably my computer. After that it ran perfectly smooth, and I didn't have any problems at all.

Dana and Wayne (if that's who edited this as usual!) did a wonderful job editing this. It was put together very nicely, and looked dang cool. They got all the best angles for the teaching and performance of the flourish. Good job, guys!

The Teaching/Teacher-

Joel is very quickly becoming one of my favorite theory11 artists. He has a nice personality, and just watching him perform makes you want to actually believe in magic/learn flourishing.

When Joel teaches, he goes over everything you need to know to be able to perform this, as usual.

Also, for those wondering, Joel actually teaches this... he doesn't just play it in slow motion from 2 angles with words flashing up randomly. It's a lot easier to learn than some of the Bucks' cuts. IMHO, of course.

Just because I'm new at flourishing, and haven't really learned much of it before, it'll be a while before this is smooth, but it has nothing to do with the teacher.

Difficulty-

Of course, I am in no way, shape, or form an experienced flourisher... I'm not even sure if I'd be considered to be on the skill level of a beginner! So I can't honestly judge how difficult this is. It's not extremely difficult so far, though, so I would judge it at an easy to medium difficulty flourish. But again, I don't know what other flourishes are like, so it's hard for me to judge.

If a more experienced flourisher would like to step up and give the real difficulty rating, be my guest! It will only add to the review! Thanks ahead of time!

Price-

I've seen many people complain recently about the price of 1on1s. Claiming it's too much for one sleight, effect, flourish, etc. However, I think they're priced appropriately, and I have no problem forking over the $5 for great material.

Additional Thoughts-

This is a great false cut, and I can't wait to use it. I must say, though, however awesome this looks on video... it looks awesomer in person. While I was hanging out with Joel (one of the best nights of my life!), he did this over and over, and I was itching to ask him to teach it to me, but decided it would be rude.

Well, my wish has been granted, and it was well worth every penny I spent on it. Thanks Joel!

Overall, this definitely gets this:

P.S. Sorry this review isn't quite "up to par" with the rest of my reviews. It's just difficult to really go into detail on something like a flourish and review it as lengthily as I have with other effects/1on1s. But, I think I got my point across... this is worth the money!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 3, 2007
Europe
You should. It's pretty awesome. I'm practicing, and I'm having trouble with the first spin off the thumb type of move, but I'm slowly getting better. Maybe in a week or two I'll be able to do it kind of quick like. ;)

Sep 1, 2007
San Diego
al these false cutss seem to be for magicians, not saying its bad, but laymen see it as fishy.

i always do a simple false cut, or a false riffle shuffle, just to make it look more natural. this does look good though

Sep 1, 2007
I think I'll pick this one up, but I'm sure many, many people will just play the vid in slow mo to learn it.

:rolleyes: I...didn't...do...that...

Well, I actually just played the video at normal speed and since he tells you that it's false, then you can sort of figure it out if you have done some flourishes before.

It'd be good for people who don't do flourishes, but I see no point why I should buy it, as I've already had experience with flourishing. (Which doesn't mean I'm good...)

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
al these false cutss seem to be for magicians, not saying its bad, but laymen see it as fishy.

i always do a simple false cut, or a false riffle shuffle, just to make it look more natural. this does look good though

Trust me, I understand where you're coming from. But when I went to California Magic, I had two laymen with me, and Joel did that cut over and over throughout the night, and they both said it looked cool, but neither said it looked fishy or anything. I definitely wouldn't overdo it on the flourishing mixed with magic, but I don't think it can hurt every once in a while.

I think I'll pick this one up, but I'm sure many, many people will just play the vid in slow mo to learn it.

Yup, and therefore they'll learn it like the Buck teach it, instead of having Joel right there, actually teaching you, WITH WORDS, how to do it. It makes it a lot easier than the flourish just shown in slow-mo from two different angles with instructions randomly popping up on the screen.

I...didn't...do...that...

Well, I actually just played the video at normal speed and since he tells you that it's false, then you can sort of figure it out if you have done some flourishes before.

It'd be good for people who don't do flourishes, but I see no point why I should buy it, as I've already had experience with flourishing. (Which doesn't mean I'm good...)

I love the fact that you make it seem like it's too simple for you, like you're "above" the cut, yet you admit that you watched it in slow-mo just to figure it out. Apparently it's a good cut if you want to learn it... why not just pay the $5? If you don't think it's worth it, don't cheat Joel and theory11 out of their rightfully owned money. Just don't learn it. It's that simple.

If you do want to learn it, however, respect Joel and theory11, and our art for that matter, and just pay for the dang flourish. It's not that expensive. And like I said, if you don't think it's worth it, don't buy it... but certainly don't play it in slow-mo over and over until you learn it. Please, grow up.

Sep 1, 2007
San Diego
to me it makes NO SENSE why other flourishes arent taught like this on other dvds.

its sooo much harder to do when youre seeing it, its easier to do it if you hear "now move the packet to the left and up instead of seeing it.

i hope daniel madison on dangerous teaches his floursihes with words

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Yes, I loved the teaching. I bought ReBel, and although the teaching wasn't the absolute best, I did like the fact that he used words. Great job on the teaching, Joel!

Oct 21, 2007
this flourish its not worth 5 bucks id say, not original at all... its seems youtube worthy, but not 1on1 worthy

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
this flourish its not worth 5 bucks id say, not original at all... its seems youtube worthy, but not 1on1 worthy

The cuts composing it may not be original, but please give me the source where this exact cut has been published before. Exactly...

Just because it is composed of non-original cuts doesn't mean it's not original. Think of it like this. Sankey releases a new product. See, I made it easy, all you have to do is think back to this week, or ahead to next week! This product, although very good, is composed of non-original sleights, such as the Double Lift, KM Move, Pass, etc. Does that mean the effect is not original, because of what it is composed of? Nope.

So if it's not worth the $5 to you, don't buy it, but don't complain about it, either. I'm a noob to flourishing, so this was on my skill level, and I've enjoyed it so far. So yes, it was worth the money for me.

Sankey releases a new product. See, I made it easy, all you have to do is think back to this week, or ahead to next week!

LOL, so true.. so very true. Good to see you liked the cut Drew. At first i thought wow this sucks when i saw the cut, but after awhile i realized two things 1) The Theory 11 Crew works hard to release a one on one every friday so instead of thinking about how simple or "noobish" it is, we should be happy we get a new effect/sleight each week for such a fair price and if we don't like the one on one released then don't buy it theres still 4 more to come in month. And 2) Each week the one on one isn't going to be some extreme hardcore flourish or knuckle busting sleights, they mix it up a bit to appeal to everyone. So to sum it all up if you don't like it don't buy it, practice the tricks you own until next week.

joelpaschall

theory11 artist
May 6, 2008

Once upon a time, a long long time ago Brian Tudor and JP got together and filmed a video called Showoff. It was at this time that the cut Static was invented -- some moves from Tudor, some moves from Joel, and the rest is history! Not original? Ha...

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
I believe, tashfiq, you have been officially owned by Joel Paschall. I thoroughly enjoyed that post. That's cool to know that you were behind the scenes on Showoff, though. Well, I you may on the actual DVD, I don't have it, but if you're actually in it... I may have to look into it. Brian's stuff just isn't for me. He's crazy technically, which means his stuff is super fast and hard to do... which is not one of my things! But I may have to give it a look-see.

Jan 27, 2008
Adjones::::::

1) Of course, I am in no way, shape, or form an experienced flourisher... I'm not even sure if I'd be considered to be on the skill level of a beginner!

2) This is a great false cut, and I can't wait to use it. I must say, though, however awesome this looks on video... it looks awesomer in person. While I was hanging out with Joel (one of the best nights of my life!), he did this over and over, and I was itching to ask him to teach it to me, but decided it would be rude.

QUOTE]

My response ( I don't know how the quoting system works on here)

1) Well it was pretty obvious to tell that you were barely a beginner since you bought Static in the first place. I'm not being rude or anything, but anybody who's been into flourishing for a few weeks (note I said weeks not months) will easily know what a bunch of (well, t11 mods, since I can't say what I said I'll say: ) Garbage that theory11 is shelling this out for 5 bucks. Damn I kind of get tired of people complaining about t11 on decknique all the time; and I rarely come on here, but they're right. How could anybody be so greedy as to sell this for 5 bucks??? I know it's totally a beginner cut, but no matter what, this is absolutely, in no way worth 5 bucks!!! The cuso has some better tutorials than this!!! (his old ones, which says something. His newer cuts are pretty good, but this is like an old cuso tutorial)

The biggest bag in the head punch in the face part of this, is the fact the JB let him release this into the 1on1 section with the ****ing description it came with!! "This is a signature cut of Joels" What is that, don't try to play it off like he's some manipulator or something, I mean he's ok at magic but I'm way better than this guy at flourishing, and I'm really not that great. A 'signature' cut, usually means one of your best cuts. Like the J5 would be for the bucks. I doubt he has many more cuts than this, if this is his 'signature' one.

I know you're about to [Edit the edit that some mod made] complain about the ^^comments, but seriously, what do you think the bucks think of this?? Can Dan or Dave honestly say this is a good, original cut in any way??? I bet they agree with me entirely. And actually, adjones, I appreciate the amount of reviews you make on here, and you really contribute a lot, but when your 'barely' a beginner flourisher, you don't realize how much this is actually worth. It should have been given away for free. And Tash didn't just get owned, because he's definetely better at cardistry than Joel.

2) No, this really doesn't look that much better in person.

3) Jonathan, if you honestly MUST have a 1on1 section, please stick to robbing us with material that we'll get use of, like the stuff that Chris Kenner puts out, or some material from Lee Ashers pdf's, or some stuff from the Paper Engine.
Or you could just be honest and write in the description "A cut for beginners, and people just starting cardistry." Then I wouldn't complain like this, and be much happier with that. I like a lot of stuff t11 has going on, but the one on one section is way overpriced, there are very few things I'd pay for on there.

"Smooth and fluid, several packet's are sold to you for 5 bucks."
If for some reason this post does get deleted, which it shouldn't at all or this will be a mirror of the e forums, just take what I said into consideration whoever deletes it, no more stuff sold from Joel Paschall in the 1on1 section. I'm sure he's got some good magic, even though he didn't at all invent the concept used in the fan control, so let's see that instead, if he must put stuff there.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zDf2wvLiAR8

joelpaschall

theory11 artist
May 6, 2008
Yo bikeman!

1) Well it was pretty obvious to tell that you were barely a beginner since you bought Static in the first place. I'm not being rude or anything, but anybody who's been into flourishing for a few weeks (note I said weeks not months) will easily know what a bunch of bs it is that theory11 is shelling this out for 5 bucks. Damn I kind of get tired of people complaining about t11 on decknique all the time; and I rarely come on here, but they're right. How could anybody be so greedy as to sell this for 5 bucks??? I know it's totally a beginner cut, but no matter what, this is absolutely, in no way worth 5 bucks!!! The cuso has some better tutorials than this!!! (his old ones, which says something. His newer cuts are pretty good, but this is like an old cuso tutorial)

The biggest bag in the head punch in the face part of this, is the fact the JB let him release this into the 1on1 section with the ****ing description it came with!! "This is a signature cut of Joels" Wtf is that, don't try to play it off like he's some manipulator or something, I mean he's ok at magic but I'm way better than this guy at flourishing, I'm really not that great. A 'signature' cut, usually means one of your best cuts. Like the J5 would be for the bucks. I doubt he has many more cuts than this, if this is his 'signature' one.

I know you're about to b*tch at me for the ^ comments, but seriously, what do you think the bucks think of this?? Can Dan or Dave honestly say this is a good, original cut in any way??? I bet they agree with me entirely. And actually, adjones, I appreciate the amount of reviews you make on here, and you really contribute a lot, but when your 'barely' a beginner flourisher, you don't realize how much this is actually worth. It should have been given away for free. And Tash didn't just get owned, because he's definetely better at cardistry than Joel.

3) Jonathan, if you honestly MUST have a 1on1 section, please stick to robbing us with material that we'll get use of, like the stuff that Chris Kenner puts out, or some material from Lee Ashers pdf's, or some stuff from the Paper Engine.
Or you could just be honest and write in the description "A cut for beginners, and people just starting cardistry." Then I wouldn't complain like this, and be much happier with that. I like a lot of stuff t11 has going on, but the one on one section is way overpriced, there are very few things I'd pay for on there.

If for some reason this post does get deleted, which it shouldn't at all or this will be a mirror of the e forums, just take what I said into consideration whoever deletes it, no more shi*t sold from Joel Paschall in the 1on1 section. I'm sure he's got some good magic, even though he didn't at all invent the concept used in the fan control, so let's see that instead, if he must put stuff there.

Wow that might be the sweetest thing any body has ever said about me!
Hey man - sorry to hear you're so upset. check your PM's, then get back to me.

Oct 6, 2007
Adjones::::::

1) Of course, I am in no way, shape, or form an experienced flourisher... I'm not even sure if I'd be considered to be on the skill level of a beginner!

2) This is a great false cut, and I can't wait to use it. I must say, though, however awesome this looks on video... it looks awesomer in person. While I was hanging out with Joel (one of the best nights of my life!), he did this over and over, and I was itching to ask him to teach it to me, but decided it would be rude.

QUOTE]

1) Well it was pretty obvious to tell that you were barely a beginner since you bought Static in the first place. I'm not being rude or anything, but anybody who's been into flourishing for a few weeks (note I said weeks not months) will easily know what a bunch of stuff that theory11 is shelling this out for 5 bucks. Damn I kind of get tired of people complaining about t11 on decknique all the time; and I rarely come on here, but they're right. How could anybody be so greedy as to sell this for 5 bucks??? I know it's totally a beginner cut, but no matter what, this is absolutely, in no way worth 5 bucks!!! The cuso has some better tutorials than this!!! (his old ones, which says something. His newer cuts are pretty good, but this is like an old cuso tutorial)

The biggest bag in the head punch in the face part of this, is the fact the JB let him release this into the 1on1 section with the ****ing description it came with!! "This is a signature cut of Joels" What is that, don't try to play it off like he's some manipulator or something, I mean he's ok at magic but I'm way better than this guy at flourishing, I'm really not that great. A 'signature' cut, usually means one of your best cuts. Like the J5 would be for the bucks. I doubt he has many more cuts than this, if this is his 'signature' one.

I know you're about to respond to the ^ comments, but seriously, what do you think the bucks think of this?? Can Dan or Dave honestly say this is a good, original cut in any way??? I bet they agree with me entirely. And actually, adjones, I appreciate the amount of reviews you make on here, and you really contribute a lot, but when your 'barely' a beginner flourisher, you don't realize how much this is actually worth. It should have been given away for free. And Tash didn't just get owned, because he's definetely better at cardistry than Joel.

If for some reason this post does get deleted, which it shouldn't at all or this will be a mirror of the e forums, just take what I said into consideration whoever deletes it, no more stuff sold from Joel Paschall in the 1on1 section. I'm sure he's got some good magic, even though he didn't at all invent the concept used in the fan control, so let's see that instead, if he must put stuff there.

I really hate the attitude of people when they say something is not worth it because it is easy.

Just because you're an 'advanced flourisher' doesn't mean an easy flourish is worthless. That's like Paschall, Houchin, baymester, etc. saying that the double lift is worthless.

Are you saying Control or Stigmata is also 'not worth it' because it is so simple? If you are, then that's just crazy.

Also, to have a 'signature cut' doesn't mean you need to have 10 000 cuts under your belt. I'm sure Joel has come up with hundreds of flourishes, but Static may jsut be his favorite, or the cut he's known for best.

I can't beleive you disrespected Joel so much. And to even dare to say 'I'm more pro in flourishing than you' is completely ridiculous. You deserve a spanking from Dana :D

Sep 1, 2007
Denmark
@bicyclemagik
Thank you sooo much for posting that!!

It feels good to know that I'm not the only who started asking questions about how awesome t11 really is when I saw this *signature cut*.

Oh and Joel, that PM you send to bicyclemagik, could I get that aswell. I would like to see what you have to say...

EDIT: I started asking those questions long before I saw this 1on1.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe

You press the quote button. Yeah, it's that hard...

1) Well it was pretty obvious to tell that you were barely a beginner since you bought Static in the first place.

That doesn't mean I'm a beginner. If I want to learn a flourish they're selling, even if it is simple, I'm going to buy it. It's called respect, something you can't buy... and even if you could, we all know you wouldn't.

I'm not being rude or anything, but anybody who's been into flourishing for a few weeks (note I said weeks not months) will easily know what a bunch of stuff that theory11 is shelling this out for 5 bucks.

So just don't buy it! It's as simple as that. If you don't like it... don't spend your money on it. That's a new concept, huh?

Damn I kind of get tired of people complaining about t11 on decknique all the time; and I rarely come on here, but they're right. How could anybody be so greedy as to sell this for 5 bucks???

Greedy? How about theory11 just get rid of the 1on1 section altogether? At least people would stop complaining.

I know it's totally a beginner cut, but no matter what, this is absolutely, in no way worth 5 bucks!!!

So don't buy it!

The cuso has some better tutorials than this!!! (his old ones, which says something. His newer cuts are pretty good, but this is like an old cuso tutorial)

So leave here, and go watch Cuso tuorials. Don't let the door hit ya where the Good Lord split ya!

The biggest bag in the head punch in the face part of this, is the fact the JB let him release this into the 1on1 section with the ****ing description it came with!! "This is a signature cut of Joels" What is that, don't try to play it off like he's some manipulator or something, I mean he's ok at magic but I'm way better than this guy at flourishing, I'm really not that great.

How do you know he's not a "manipulator"? He did several cuts while I was hanigng out with him, and they were all pretty cool. OK at magic? That's pretty funny. I know for a fact he's better than you, so don't try to play it off like you're better than him or something.

A 'signature' cut, usually means one of your best cuts. Like the J5 would be for the bucks. I doubt he has many more cuts than this, if this is his 'signature' one.

These are things you're randomly saying without any proof at all to back it up with. :rolleyes:

I know you're about to respond to the ^ comments, but seriously, what do you think the bucks think of this?? Can Dan or Dave honestly say this is a good, original cut in any way???

How is it not original? Like I've told someone else- find me this exact cut published before here, and I will gladly eat my words.

I bet they agree with me entirely.

And your point? I bet Joel agrees with me completely. See what I did there? ;)

And actually, adjones, I appreciate the amount of reviews you make on here, and you really contribute a lot, but when your 'barely' a beginner flourisher, you don't realize how much this is actually worth.

It was definitely worth the $5 for me. It was a nice beginner cut to kinda get me back into flourishing, and I really like it. For the advanced flourishers who think it's below them or whatever- just don't buy it. It's that simple.

It should have been given away for free. And Tash didn't just get owned, because he's definetely better at cardistry than Joel.

You don't know what. I can tell you Joel has more experience than Trash for sure.

I respect your opinion- but have you seen Joel do it in person? Didn't think so...

Or just don't buy what you don't want. That's a lot easier.

Wait, I thought it was obvious that this was a beginner cut and shouldn't be sold for $5? Why would he need to put it in the description if it's that obvious?

If for some reason this post does get deleted, which it shouldn't at all or this will be a mirror of the e forums, just take what I said into consideration

I honestly don't think anyone cares about your crybaby, whiny-assed opinion. But oh well.

whoever deletes it, no more stuff sold from Joel Paschall in the 1on1 section. I'm sure he's got some good magic, even though he didn't at all invent the concept used in the fan control, so let's see that instead, if he must put stuff there.

You are extremely disrespectful, you know that, right? I know for a fact you wouldn't say that stuff- at least in that manner and tone of voice to Joel in person, so let's be a little nicer, ok?

And about the Fan Control- no, he didn't invent the concept, but he did add the "move" to it which allows the deck to be shuffled. And if you want to be that way- Wayne Houchin didn't invent Indecent- the exact same concept was published in a magic book back in the 1940s. :rolleyes:

@bicyclemagik
Thank you sooo much for posting that!!

I guess I don't get why his post was so great. It was full of immature, crybaby, rude remarks. Sounds like a bad post to me...

It feels good to know that I'm not the only who started asking questions about how awesome t11 really is when I saw this *signature cut*.

I'm going to start sounding like a broken record- if you don't like it, don't buy it.

Oh and Joel, that PM you send to bicyclemagik, could I get that aswell. I would like to see what you have to say...

You know PM stands for PRIVATE Message, right? Meaning they're Private, usually between two people. It's kind of rude to ask for a private conversation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results