Stepping Away from the Old Stuff...

Jul 26, 2008
NJ
I have enough card effects and a few good coin effects. I want something that doesn't involve these predictable, expected types of tricks and do something nobody has seen before or with a prop that isn't usually used in magic (ex: Self-Tying Shoelace, Bowling Ball out of Paper Bag, etc.). And while you're giving suggestions, I guess I would like a few more good, HARD-HITTING, more-than-just-a-palm coin effects (but not another 3-coin transpo/vanish).

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
I think the best thing to do would be to come up with something really strange, but similar to another thing, and make your own stuff up. For example, I have recently been working on (and please everyone, don't steal this idea, though feel free to pm me if you want to discuss/contribute to this) a routine featuring a toothbrush appearing, changing colour, vanishing etc. This is very similar to pen/cigarette magic in terms of sleights and stuff. Really, you are just limited by your imagination. Instead of using coins, why not use nuts? Small oranges in place of billiard balls. You get the idea, just come up with unusual and interesting ideas, something that will make the audience jump back and say 'wow, didn't see that coming' when you find it in their ear. I'll leave the rest to your imagination, hope I've helped :D

EDIT: Idea! There are quite a few resources on Tictac magic available for purchasing, these might be what you're looking for. Also, Chris Lafferty's Freezer Burn (available from this little godsend) has some interesting ideas on using ice in magic. You might want to look into that.

Michael Weber's LifeSavers is what you're definitely looking for. It has a wealth of non-card effects that can be performed in a variety of different casual environments. I also recommend checking out David Harkey's work if you can get your hands on it. He has two books, Simply Harkey and Ah-Ha. He uses everyday objects to create really original plots. I use his stuff on a regular basis as well.

RS.

Jul 26, 2008
NJ
Michael Weber's LifeSavers is what you're definitely looking for. It has a wealth of non-card effects that can be performed in a variety of different casual environments. I also recommend checking out David Harkey's work if you can get your hands on it. He has two books, Simply Harkey and Ah-Ha. He uses everyday objects to create really original plots. I use his stuff on a regular basis as well.

RS.

Thank you. This was what I was looking for. Any individual effects people want to mention?

EDIT: Although the price is pretty steep and I'm not exactly living in a Beverly Hills Mansion.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 19, 2008
manchester
art of astonishment 1,2,3

(I only have the first two), I myself dont really like the card effects but the coins and pens are f^cking awsome! theirs like everything (even a tnr apple)

check it out ;)

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
some good coin routines incluce CoinONE and CoinTwo by Homer Liwag and his new "rice paper's" have 3 good routines using different objects one of which is an amazing routine with a sharpie. As said before Art of Astonishment is great all 3 or the new True Astonishments dvd series if you want to spend that much. Dan Hauss' Red line fits the criteria too. Loops are always variable and you have infinite possibilities. Sinful is outside the box. there are sooooo many resources and tricks out there. You can find something, also check out the new tricks "Laced" or "Tagged" that looks like it might fit your criteria

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results