Stop performing for your video camera! Or else!

see videos of other good performance help people on how to perform it right..
maybe they bought a trick and the instructions came in a little note but they dont understand it.they just go on the web,look it up and bam,you now know how it's performed.sometimes we post videos because we want to show the world what we can do.Most famous magicians di'nt post videos up to get famous (I had a feeling some one will say this).No they did not post videos up,but most magicians dint have money back then.but anyways,what im saying is,we want to be known by somepeople all over the world.It's just ife,
you cant stop people who are expose tricks,you can't stop the world from turning,and cant stop people/magicians for putting videos upon the web.

Most people don't have experience performing in front of strangers and maybe when they post videos on the web,it gives them confidence.

~ViCtOr~

Sep 1, 2007
see videos of other good performance help people on how to perform it right..
maybe they bought a trick and the instructions came in a little note but they dont understand it.they just go on the web,look it up and bam,you now know how it's performed.sometimes we post videos because we want to show the world what we can do.Most famous magicians di'nt post videos up to get famous (I had a feeling some one will say this).No they did not post videos up,but most magicians dint have money back then.but anyways,what im saying is,we want to be known by somepeople all over the world.It's just ife,
you cant stop people who are expose tricks,you can't stop the world from turning,and cant stop people/magicians for putting videos upon the web.

Most people don't have experience performing in front of strangers and maybe when they post videos on the web,it gives them confidence.

~ViCtOr~

That's called practice.

Also, there is a very significant difference between the art of magic and the art of film. Magic is meant to be a live performance. How many pros perform sitting in front of a webcam on their computer?

Another thing. If you're going to perform on the internet, who do you think is going to watch that performance? Other magicians, that's who. How is this helping the art of magic if all anyone ever does is keep themselves shut off from actual spectators? Most non-magician people aren't going to go through the trouble of seeking out and watching bad magic "performances" in youtube.

But if you, as a magician, actively seek them out and astound them with what you are able to do in a live performance, where there is no possibility of camera editing, that's pushing the art of magic forward.

I don't really think you can find anything wrong with that.

Sep 1, 2007
And another thing.

Virtually every internet webcam performance is bereft of patter. How can one perform without patter?

Perhaps this name is familiar: Jean-Eugene Robert Houdin. He was born in 1805. He basically pioneered the art of magic, making it what it is today. His philosophy (and maybe you've heard this) was that a magician is really an actor playing the part of a magician.

Patter gives what we do life. David Blaine uses patter. Read any Paul Harris routine, and it emphasizes using patter. In fact, in any good magic routine, there will be instructions on how to magage your audince, what to say to them, how to misdirect them.

That is the major component of our art that is missing on those crappy youtube vidoes.

who said that youtube videos dont have patter?If youve seen Alvin Martinez
videos he uses patter and in others he does not.Still the same thing..people
still say great job,even if you dint use any patter.I dont know if you know this or not but your saying that every performance needs a live audience..read what you wrote again.Don't youj think that maybe the camera man is part of the audience?You said live audience,meaning that can only be one person..
In webcams..some people have other people[camera guys/girl] recording it.
just because you see the performer alone infront of the camera,does'nt necessarily mean that they are alone and might be performing alone,They might be showing a trick to the camera person and you might not really know whats going on.:)Katie from T11 performs without the use of an audience and gets great responce[Threefly,monkey into K-9].
see not everything needs an audience.Not everyone needs an audience.

Sep 1, 2007
who said that youtube videos dont have patter?If youve seen Alvin Martinez
videos he uses patter and in others he does not.Still the same thing..people
still say great job,even if you dint use any patter.I dont know if you know this or not but your saying that every performance needs a live audience..read what you wrote again.Don't youj think that maybe the camera man is part of the audience?You said live audience,meaning that can only be one person..
In webcams..some people have other people[camera guys/girl] recording it.
just because you see the performer alone infront of the camera,does'nt necessarily mean that they are alone and might be performing alone,They might be showing a trick to the camera person and you might not really know whats going on.:)Katie from T11 performs without the use of an audience and gets great responce[Threefly,monkey into K-9].
see not everything needs an audience.Not everyone needs an audience.

Alright, let's agree to disagree.

Just because somebody has good slick undetectable moves, doesn't make what they do a good performance. What makes a good performance is a good performer.

Take Max Malini, for instance. He had a handicap of very small hands, but made up for it with the greatest skill ever displayed in misdirection and preparation.

Think of any famous magician. How did they get famous?

Sep 1, 2007
on Theory11.
Of course you're never going to control what people do and don't post on the internet... If all you ever do is get mad at all the 5 year old YouTubers that post videos of themselves sitting at their computer doing crappy performances of magic tricks, I'm sorry. Just be glad that you can actually go out on the street and get some video that people would actually want to watch!

-Matt

Sep 1, 2007
Of course you're never going to control what people do and don't post on the internet... If all you ever do is get mad at all the 5 year old YouTubers that post videos of themselves sitting at their computer doing crappy performances of magic tricks, I'm sorry. Just be glad that you can actually go out on the street and get some video that people would actually want to watch!

-Matt

And glad I am. Hungry too. Tacos anybody?

Alright, let's agree to disagree.

Just because somebody has good slick undetectable moves, doesn't make what they do a good performance. What makes a good performance is a good performer.

Take Max Malini, for instance. He had a handicap of very small hands, but made up for it with the greatest skill ever displayed in misdirection and preparation.

Think of any famous magician. How did they get famous?

yes..They did get famous,in a way.But we are talking about why not to perform in front of a camera.not geting famous.hahaha..

I think someone will agree that people put videos because:

It's a free Country
Because they feel like it
You cant stop them
and because they want to show people how well the perform.
Get it long man?
:p

Sep 1, 2007
yes..They did get famous,in a way.But we are talking about why not to perform in front of a camera.not geting famous.hahaha..

I think someone will agree that people put videos because:

It's a free Country
Because they feel like it
You cant stop them
and because they want to show people how well the perform.
Get it long man?
:p

It's a damn expensive country if you ask me.

And just like people are allowed to post whatever they want, so am I allowed to urge them not to.

Get it tpa? Tuh-pah? T-paw?

Sep 1, 2007
wow, everyone needs to chill out.

Most people use the media section, not to impress people. But to get feedback on there slights, and how everything looked. So when they perform for real people, they know they are good to go. I mean, this is a magic site with magicians on it, people post there videos for feedback. I think that was even said on the what is theory 11 video.

So don't tell people to stop posting videos, if anything, you should stop posting in the forum, If this is the crap your going to come up with. Don't like it? good, because I don't like how you are calling people losers if they post a video that is not in front of a live audience. I have never even posted a video on this site. But if I did, it would be for feedback, not to show magicians my l337 skillz, got it?

Sep 1, 2007

Most people use the media section, not to impress people. But to get feedback on there slights, and how everything looked. So when they perform for real people, they know they are good to go. I mean, this is a magic site with magicians on it, people post there videos for feedback. I think that was even said on the what is theory 11 video.

So don't tell people to stop posting videos, if anything, you should stop posting in the forum, If this is the crap your going to come up with. Don't like it? good, because I don't like how you are calling people losers if they post a video that is not in front of a live audience. I have never even posted a video on this site. But if I did, it would be for feedback, not to show magicians my l337 skillz, got it?

1. Do not ever try and tell somebody they cannot have an opinion.

2. Read the entire thread before you try to make yourself sound smart. You obviously only read the title.

3. You've got some spinach in your teeth.

After reading this,I got longman's Idea now.
He does not want other magicians to perform on the videos,not only because they "SUCK" but he cant get good feed back on his videos.
Coming from somebodu that has never and probably never even produce a video and put it on the web..cough*Longman..
you can't tell people to stop doing something..
It's like someone telling you,"you cant perform magic in this state!"

Sep 1, 2007
1. Do not ever try and tell somebody they cannot have an opinion.

2. Read the entire thread before you try to make yourself sound smart. You obviously only read the title.

3. You've got some spinach in your teeth.

1. Don't tell someone what they can and can't do.

2. I read your post.

3. I don't like spinach.

Sep 1, 2007
After reading this,I got longman's Idea now.
He does not want other magicians to perform on the videos,not only because they "SUCK" but he cant get good feed back on his videos.
Coming from somebodu that has never and probably never even produce a video and put it on the web..cough*Longman..
you can't tell people to stop doing something..
It's like someone telling you,"you cant perform magic in this state!"

I have never made a video of magic. I perform live, exclusively. Please don't make assumptions about what I do. It doesn't make me feel very good.

Also, I'm not telling people that they aren't allowed to make videos. What I'm trying to express is that I don't like the direction magic is taking, as I am seeing less and less evidence that people are actually performing for live audiences. I think that this is partially the fault of bad youtube videos.

Fortunately, I now know that I shouldn't waste my time trying to convince you or anyone else. If you or anyone else chooses to do nothing or thinks that the art of magic will be better off trapped on the internet, I am truky sorry.

I will, as I always have, try to do what I can to keep magic as something visceral and exciting for the people I perform for. I know that it makes them much happier to see something amazing up close.

I don't want to argue with any of you any more. If you are unable to see my point, I can safely say that it is not my fault and that I did everything I could to make it clear.

Thanks, and my apologies if I offende anybody.

I have never made a video of magic. I perform live, exclusively. Please don't make assumptions about what I do. It doesn't make me feel very good.

Also, I'm not telling people that they aren't allowed to make videos. What I'm trying to express is that I don't like the direction magic is taking, as I am seeing less and less evidence that people are actually performing for live audiences. I think that this is partially the fault of bad youtube videos.

Fortunately, I now know that I shouldn't waste my time trying to convince you or anyone else. If you or anyone else chooses to do nothing or thinks that the art of magic will be better off trapped on the internet, I am truky sorry.

I will, as I always have, try to do what I can to keep magic as something visceral and exciting for the people I perform for. I know that it makes them much happier to see something amazing up close.

I don't want to argue with any of you any more. If you are unable to see my point, I can safely say that it is not my fault and that I did everything I could to make it clear.

Thanks, and my apologies if I offende anybody.
Ohh..so why were we ranting then if it was an opinion?

Sep 1, 2007
Ohh..so why were we ranting then if it was an opinion?

It was a strong opinion...? I don't know. What do you mean?

I'm not stupid (no, really). I know people aren't going to stop doing something jut because I think they should. As I've said before, the title of the post was meant to be attention-grabbing and specific.

I'm not really sure what else to tell you...

Oct 6, 2007
Of course you don't need a camera every time you perform. You never need a camera when you perform. When you perform, it should be for a live audience.

How is that confusing?

Now, take a few breaths and calm down...

...Yes. When one does perform it should be for a live audience- so how do you know that people posting videos don't perform to live audiences? They may have uploaded the video for other people's opinions, and once they've improved, the go out and perform!

I do agree with you ont he matter that people are performing for their video camera and I really agree that is probably why the art of magic is dying. I know some of my friends never perform live and just perform for their cameras.

So on one hand PEOPLE PERFORM LIVE AND NOT FOR YOUR CAMERA!

On the other, 'Longman' you should realize that people may perform live and just not record it! Also, not everyone can afford a decent video camera;)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results