Story time

Aug 8, 2013
California
I have mastered a few tricks, but just the moves of the tricks. I dont really have any stories for any of my tricks. i was wondering if anybody out there had any tips for coming up with stories for tricks. I know this is vague but any tips would be useful.

Please and thank you!

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Are you looking for stories or just for presentation ideas?

If you want sotries, what type of stories are you looking for? Funny stories, scientific explanations, classic stories and fables, strange stories?

Readers Digest is great for humor and real life stories. I love Grimms Fairy Tales and The Book of Virtues. NPR has a lot of great stories on programs like Morning Edition and All Things Considered. Discover magazine has a lot of great science articles.

Also, what tricks do you know? Only certain tricks can support a story and the type of story depends on the effect.

Jun 13, 2013
Go slower than you normally would, never rush the trick. I like to relate all my effects to either psychology or experience in slight of hand. Kind've how Penn and Teller, and Derren Brown present there material. Check out Derren Brown's presentation on youtube, he's the greatest story teller out there.

May 21, 2014
Staunton, VA
Jim Hensen's "The Storyteller" series is a great reference for storytelling in general, in my opinion. I use part of one of those as patter for the one good poker trick I know.

For "This, That, and The Other," I tell a story-based version called "My Favorite Game" that ends on a blank card. For that one I pretend I learned the trick by watching somebody else do it, but the person I describe sounds like he's actually me. The story gets a little wonky with that one, but the patter itself is pretty straightforward.

For my 3-coin routine I start with a story about that one coin trick everyone's grandfather does while I'm producing the coins and rolling into 3-fry (available on T-11, ungimmicked 3-coin vanish, GET IT if you don't have it; I finish the routine with Silver Dream, which leaves you relatively clean and is also a really good routine).

With sponges, I claim I'm manipulating balls of raw magic.

The cups and balls is kind of like a cross between a game and a brief, light-hearted lesson in magic history. I draw on a lot of influences for that routine, but if you're interested in presentations that are completely metaphorical (where you refer to your props hardly or not at all), you should check out Suzanne's cups and balls on Youtube. She presents the cups as a parable and nails it.

Most of my presentations, stories, justifications, etc. are somehow rooted in a character, in this case a pink wizard from a fictional universe. To figure out how you should be presenting, you should figure out what kind of character you're playing, along with how and why he or she does magic. That will help determine whether you should be pretending to find loopholes in physics, talking about syncing up bodily energy to interpret brainwaves, or telling whimsical tales about your travels to India or whatever. Different effects will also lend themselves to different styles of presentation and patter.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Learning about the art of the storyteller is going to take you a long way as will a study of things like Aesop's Fables and ancient myth & folklore as well as the tall tales of the American pioneer era. In my case, as a mystery performer, I take tales of the bizarre directly from history. . . I flower them up and personalize them so they fit the routine. For an example, I talk about my baby sister (who died in the early 1960s) and how she likes to pinch & poke people as a prelude to my PK Touches or I relate to my paternal grandfathers demise on a cold winter's day as he brought home a music box I was attracted to as a Christmas present when I do the Lee Earle Muse Box routine.

I always take a premise that I've found elsewhere and spin it to fit the routine and frequently, I find routines that fit a particular concept or storyline that I was already playing with.

Stories also depend on your character, not everyone would present a Lotta Bowl routine in the same way I do, with a Native American narrative but such fits my persona these days as do my Rice Bowls. . . and yes, these things actually work well with my Mentalism because I project myself as being a Shaman -- a mystical "holy" man and not just in the mode of performer. This unique approach lends to me a novel "edge" when it comes to the things I do and public perception . . . the illusion that all that I do is real and not trickery, which is my goal.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results